Spyder Garage

Default One month old...

Well, our 2012 RT/AC has now been in our garage for 1 month and after 1,000 miles, I thought I'd saw my thoughts on the bike.

First, a little about me: I'm a MSF motorcycle instructor, so I get to ride lots of bikes. I currently own a Suzuki Hayabusa, Honda RC-51, Honda Interceptor, and Honda VTX1300. I bought the Sypder only so my wife could ride with me-she refuses to ride on the back of the sport bikes (I wonder why?). IN any case, after riding on the back of the RT, she LOVES it! And if she's happy, then I'm happy! LOL Am I ready to give up 2 wheels? Not a chance. Is it as much fun to ride as my Hayabusa? Well, probably not-but then again they are 2 different types of bikes. So far I enjoy the comfort of the bike and am finally getting use to the way it handles. Heat on our legs is an issue, but it really doesn't stay that hot here in Western New York all that much so we'll deal with it for now. I"m finding the attention it gets out on the road a little embarrassing, but she gets a chuckle out of the attention, so I'll live with it. For me, I'd rather be riding under the radar, not on it!

So, that's my $.02. I'm a little ticked off that we just missed the promotion of an extra 2 years of the warranty, but I guess there really is nothing that can be done about that! Besides, sometimes, I just like to find things to be po'ed about! We're taking the Spyder on a few longer "day-trips" later this summer, so I"ll post more comments after that time. I haven't yet talked her into some over night trips-she's not sure there's enough room to take all her stuff? I guess it's harder for a women to pack light??

BTW--I love this site--I've learned lots. Thanks all--and stay safe out there!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that your better half is enjoying the pillion! No doubt; when they're happy, our lives work out much better!
    So when is she going to grab the bars and start piloting it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    Is it as much fun to ride as my Hayabusa? Well, probably not-but then again they are 2 different types of bikes.
    Wow a Hayabusa and a Spyder in the same household. 197 Hp in a 550 lb bike. They really are different types of bikes.
    Nice !!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a nice garage collection, I love the idea of having different rides but don't get as much time to ride just one as I would like.

Need to work to ride, but can't ride when I'm working

Its always better when you can take the wife along, makes life much easier (until you get a trailer)

have fun

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Seems a lot of Spyder riders come from the HD world more so than the sportbike world, so your perspective is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd7 View Post
    Heat on our legs is an issue, but it really doesn't stay that hot here in Western New York all that much so we'll deal with it for now.
    Spyderpops really does help with the heat.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tell your wife that there is plenty of room for all of her stuff for at least a week on the road. You on the other hand will have to pack light!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the write up. You will get the packing issues worked out as you start to make trips.

Watch out though if you let the missus drive. There could be another in your garage, or, you may have to just drive the Hyabusa.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven't yet talked her into some over night trips-she's not sure there's enough room to take all her stuff? I guess it's harder for a women to pack light??

Thats why I have my OWN RT!!! Hair products, makeup, hairdryer,shower products, a couple different riding jackets, gloves, helmet, heated jacket....I could go on....

Spyder Garage

Default Spyderpops heat shields really do help,...

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Seems a lot of Spyder riders come from the HD world more so than the sportbike world, so your perspective is welcome.

Spyderpops really does help with the heat.

Its true. The heat shields were one of the first mods I made to my Spyder, and it really does make a difference. It also helps you develope a little more 'intimate' relationship with your Spyder. Removing the plastics up under the bike is a treat.

Good luck, Ryde hard.

--Pete
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Glad to hear that your better half is enjoying the pillion! No doubt; when they're happy, our lives work out much better!
    So when is she going to grab the bars and start piloting it?
    LOL--no way---that's why I got the manual tranny!!