Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question We love our new RT, but...

My wife and I recently bought a 2012 RT-S (traded in our two motorcycles for it). We have had it for a week and it has 250 miles on it. We both love it.

The wife was driving back home on it, and as she was stopped and waiting for traffic to clear to make a turn, the transmission wouldn't budge. She turned on the emergency flashers, tried to get the transmission to go into nuetral, anything.... nothing. So she turned it off, restarted it, which turns off the emergency flashers by the way (not a smart design), and still nothing. I towed her home.

It's in the shop now, and they say it is the shift selinoid. He told us it was because we were shifting up at too low of an rpm, which doesnt make much sense, since she was stopped at the time.... I have driven motorcycles all my life and this semi-automatic is new to me. I am somewhat doubtful of what he said but... what do I know... what do you think??

John and Tina

P.S.-any spyder clubs in Michigan around Macomb county?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What rpm's was she shifting at?

Spyder Garage

I come from 35 years plus ridding, I traded my Goldwing in for the RT although it takes time to get used too you have to run these at high RPM

There are lots and lots of post on here about it, but the clutch is not spinning fast enough until at least 3500 rpm.

Basically with semi automatic don't let the RPM drop blow 3500 except in first. Sweet spot of changing gear is around 500K, the rotax engine loves high RPM's

Once you get used to it, its a really fun machine to ride.

Heres a good thread to start with

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it is possible you two were shifting at too low an rpm. The rotax engine in these things likes to rev higher than your standard engine, and it takes some getting used to. Basically, don't shift up until you are over 4k rpm, and if you drop below that, shift down. Your dealer -really- should have told you this when you made your purchase.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I can't help on the problem but I have a question about the SE5 trans. Do these go into neutral automatically when you are just sitting? She was just sitting at the light. I assume she was in neutral and then couldn't go into first.
    No they go into first, you have to put it in neutral.

If you slame on the brakes for a really quick stop sometimes there might not be enough time for it to down shift all the way to first, but I have never seen that myself

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    No they go into first, you have to put it in neutral.

If you slame on the brakes for a really quick stop sometimes there might not be enough time for it to down shift all the way to first, but I have never seen that myself

Harry
    Also make sure you're off the throttle when slowing down....the transmission can't downshift with throttle applied.

Spyder Garage

On our 2008 SE5 I had to come to a quick, and I mean, a foot to the pedal quick stop more than once. One of them the trans went down to 3rd gear (70 to stop in seconds). No problem, just did what I had to get it to 1st. This present issue seems like it could be a solenoid.

I suggest that if any SE5 owners have not done so, READ the Owners Manual on how the transmission works. IT IS NOT, repeat, NOT an automatic. It is a paddle operated, electronic shifter that uses both the oil in the transmission and the paddle shifter to operate as intended.

Shift at least above 4500 rpm in the first 3 gears. After that, shift at least 5000 rpm for 4th and 6000 rpm for 5th. Do not abuse it, but don't baby the engine or transmission. Babying either one is abusing both. If you have to vary your speed after getting to 5th, do what it takes to keep the engine at 5000 rpm minimum.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Sweet spot of changing gear is around 500K, the rotax engine loves high RPM's
    500K now that baby is spinnin!
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcan View Post
    My wife and I recently bought a 2012 RT-S (traded in our two motorcycles for it). We have had it for a week and it has 250 miles on it. We both love it.

The wife was driving back home on it, and as she was stopped and waiting for traffic to clear to make a turn, the transmission wouldn't budge. She turned on the emergency flashers, tried to get the transmission to go into nuetral, anything.... nothing. So she turned it off, restarted it, which turns off the emergency flashers by the way (not a smart design), and still nothing. I towed her home.

It's in the shop now, and they say it is the shift selinoid. He told us it was because we were shifting up at too low of an rpm, which doesnt make much sense, since she was stopped at the time.... I have driven motorcycles all my life and this semi-automatic is new to me. I am somewhat doubtful of what he said but... what do I know... what do you think??

John and Tina

P.S.-any spyder clubs in Michigan around Macomb county?

When you have time to read your manual, you will see the recommended shift points on the semi-automatic is 4500-5000rpm. The clutches don't "lock up " fully until ~ 3500 rpm. Damage to the clutches can happen from low rpm operation fairly rapidly. The rotax motors like to spin FAST!! Hope this helps and that your problems are quickly solved by a return trip to the dealers. As others here have said; ride em like you stole em. Others with more experience and wisdom than I will address your concerns. You can't find a more friendly group of individuals with allot of collective knowledge about these fantastically fun machines. You have arrived at the best place on the web for all things Spyder. Welcome and enjoy your purchase.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazor View Post
    What rpm's was she shifting at?
    I had a little Honda Shadow that only had 4 gears. I am used to running it up as far as it will go before shifting. So that is what I do when i ride the spyder, too. I am hitting at least 4500 rpm at a minimum when shifting up.

Tina

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I can't help on the problem but I have a question about the SE5 trans. Do these go into neutral automatically when you are just sitting? She was just sitting at the light. I assume she was in neutral and then couldn't go into first.
    Nope. The trans autoshifts down to first. I was in first, stuck. It wouldn't shift into anything. After several times turning it off and on again, I got it into Nuetral to tow it home.

Tina

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some teething problems with the transmission. Upshifting at or above 4000 rpm will keep the clutch happy, but that would not have affected how your bike was shifting; it would only have allowed the clutch to slip and build heat.
    The dealer shouldn't have tried to lay the blame on your doorstep for this one...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appears you may have violated a couple of the basic "rules" of ryding a Spyder...

Check out this short list of Do's and Dont's to help you avoid making "beginner" mistakes, and hopefully improve your enjoyment of your Spyder....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you get your Spyder issues fixed and get back on the road soon. There are some great Spyder owners in Michigan. Check ou the Michigan Forum for their posts on rides, etc.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

as you've found out, you got the place to get answers to you questions about s. Welcome to the family. Dale

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem, but it started out with the transmission light coming on. Took dealership about 3 months to figure out what was going on. Finally they got a code and ended up being the shifter solenoid. Runs and shifts like a dream now! Just don't know what I'm gonna do when the extended warranty runs out! Yikes!
    I now shift in the 4000-5000 RPM range and basically let the ride down shift for me when coming to a stop.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down what was the final solution to your problem? low rpm shifting? weird...

Nope. The trans autoshifts down to first. I was in first, stuck. It wouldn't shift into anything. After several times turning it off and on again, I got it into Nuetral to tow it home.

Tina
    weird that the dealer or sales people do not emphasis high rpm shifting..first I heard of problems.. going slow usually meaaaans safe or no problems but to exceed the high is problems.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Tina
    If you are in 1st gear and the thing won't go, to get it out of first put you foot on brake to start the engine and she'll go to neutral, then you should be able to get to other gears.If that doesn't work you sorta have to crawl under it to get to the tranny linkage. Check the manual it should show you how to do that.