Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine is a 5/6

I’m late to join this thread too but I took my tests in 2015 and at the time the instructor told me that I would be restricted to 3 wheel bike but when I received my new license I was given a 5/6 license with no endorsements or restrictions. So I think despite what they may say your license is what I states on the back. If there are no endorsements or restrictions in the eyes of the law you have a motorcycle license.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ha Ha.....

Down here in Mexifornia you don't need an endorsement to ride a trike. Just a normal drivers license will suffice. We are a sanctuary state, and the sad fact is that half the population on the highways don't even have drivers licenses or insurance. So, be careful if you come down here because if you're involved in an accident with a sanctuary citizen you'd better have uninsured motorist coverage or you'll be up the creek without a paddle.

Spyder Garage

if you take your test on a 3-wheel unit, your license is restricted to 3 wheels. If you take the test on 2 wheels, you can operate a 3 or 2 wheel unit. All of us old guys can operate 2 or 3 wheel units, not sure when the endorsement rule came into effect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Northeh View Post
    if you take your test on a 3-wheel unit, your license is restricted to 3 wheels. If you take the test on 2 wheels, you can operate a 3 or 2 wheel unit. All of us old guys can operate 2 or 3 wheel units, not sure when the endorsement rule came into effect.
    It used to be that way in Washington State Jan of 2020. Prior to that a 2 wheeled license allowed you to ride 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles. However a 3 wheeled license only allowed you to ride a three wheeled vehicle. Then the laws were changed.

Now you must have a three wheeled endorsement to legally ride a three wheeled motorcycle, even if you already have a 2 wheeled endorsement. And two wheeled licensing has also changed.

To legally ride a two wheeled motorcycle, you must have a 2 wheeled permit. In order to get that permit, you must attend a basic 2 wheeled motorcycle safety course. Washington State no longer provides training or conducts skill tests for motorcycles. Once you pass the course you get your permit. The permit is good for 180 days. If you fail to obtain the endorsement within that 180 day, you can apply for one more 180 extension. This extension must be applied for before the first 180 days expires. You can take the endorsement course as many times as you want in order to pass. However, if after the second 180 day permit expires, you have to wait five years to reapply for the permit. To qualify for the permit, you must take and pass 5 skills along with a 25 question written test.

The caveat here is that to obtain the 2 wheeled endorsement, you must take the endorsement course on your own, registered to you, motorcycle. To pass this course you must take a 50 question written test, but you’re only required to pass 2 skills. What was happening in the past was students were attending the basic motorcycle safety course on motorcycles provided by the school. These were usually 250cc bikes. Then after getting their endorsement, they would got out and purchase big Harleys or super powered sport bikes and end up killing themselves because they were not prepared for the speed and power of these bigger bikes.

A couple of my friends have 2 wheeled endorsements. Last summer Can Am was hosting a demo ride at a local dealer. I mentioned it them and suggested it would be fun to go down and take a few Spyders on a demo ride. We all got there and had to show our licenses. Since I was the only one with a three wheeled endorsement, I was the only one allowed to take the ride. I felt terrible because it was my idea and we had all ridden about 60 miles to get there.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited