Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default On the fence! Help

Hey all. My name is tony. Brand new to this site and can ams. I have looked at test ridden and been approvedfor an spyder tour audio conv bike with automatic. Just nervous to pull the trigger. Might be. Bit of a biased site. But your thoughts. Should I just roll with it. I am 40 something and healthy. Not an age thing just never ridden but want to. Any help would be great. Also the the bike would be 27500 out the door is that a standard price or am I a sucker? Thanks. Peace!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, let's just say from an ex harley rider......it's the most fun I've had on a bike bar none! I don't worry about the 2 wheel issues any more. I was on the fence too, but now that I pulled the trigger last month, I could not be happier. You only go around once!
    Go for it.

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5-Flat-Rock-MI
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmav View Post
    Hey all. My name is tony. Brand new to this site and can ams. I have looked at test ridden and been approvedfor an spyder tour audio conv bike with automatic. Just nervous to pull the trigger. Might be. Bit of a biased site. But your thoughts. Should I just roll with it. I am 40 something and healthy. Not an age thing just never ridden but want to. Any help would be great. Also the the bike would be 27500 out the door is that a standard price or am I a sucker? Thanks. Peace!

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the site.

In answer to your question: Of course, we are a biased site. Most people are having good luck with their Spyder's.

The price quoted is close to MSRP--but that is a common thing. A dealer that offers good service and has good mechanics is where most people recommend making the purchase from. Lowball price usually results in you get what you pay for.

You do hear about problems a lot here: but that is what the site is about. You have a problem, you ask a question, you usually get help quickly.

I wish you good luck with your purchase. Go ahead, pull the trigger, you want a Spyder, these are not the droids you seek.

I have owned 4 Spyders now, since their inception. I currently have two RT's models--one a premier edition with everything on it and just purchased a 2011 A & C. In over 60,000 miles, I have not had any major problems.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Jump off the fence and onto a Spyder!

I have a Harley Fatboy and a Spyder. Guess which one is more fun?
    Hint- the one that is more comfortable and easier to ride.
    Last edited by brodyson; 07-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default pull the trigger

I'll be 50 this year, the last time on a motorcycle was at 20. I knew I would be giving up one of my "car toys", but have no regrets at all. We are enjoying every moment on our RT, and we're looking forward to exploring more places.

Spyder Garage

I have ridden two wheels for 40 years, owned 35+ motorcycles... the Can Am Spyder is the most safest fun I have ever had. I purchased a 2012 Limited new from the dealer, paid around MSRP but received top dollar for my two trades. I would recommend to purchase an additional 3 years BRP warranty and the 3 years maintenance package. You can get the dealer to drop the price down on those and in my opinion it is money well spent.

Most Spyders are trouble free if maintained and ridden properly. Few have any major issues... I wouldn't go back to two wheels or would I ride a conventional trike.
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warmav View Post
    Price is a bit high..I'd shoot for $25K out the door for an RT A&C model.

Since you've never ridden before, I HIGHLY recommend you locate a MC training center that can run you through an MSF course. This if for your own safety and those around you. Not everything they teach will be applicable to the Spyder... but much of it will. Many local HD shops have info on such classes. Perhaps get an instructors name and call them telling them what you're buying and they may be able to work with you on your Spyder.

Also right now you should be able to get 2 years Best warranty thrown in --- BRP promotion right now.... so 2 years factory + 2 years BEST for 4 years total.

You'll really enjoy having one of these!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHOICE OF SPYDERS

To each his own is my motto, I have an 08 GS/RS type.....so I am biased that way I suppose. But I have put things (mods) on mine that brings it pretty close to what an RT offers.....But it is still sporty which I like.....Also right now a new RS can be had for about $16500 or $17300 with the auto shift.....that's $10,000 less to find out how much you like SPYDERING....Although once you master it you won't want to get off....I only spent approx. $500 on about $4000 worth of extra's because I was able to build most of them.....you may not be in that position.....Good luck with your decision....Mike....

Spyder Garage

Default Sure Love Mine!

Got my Black Spyder RT in March and love it, ride it as much as I can. I never rode a motorcycle in my life until March, took the safety class, got my endorsement and away I went. Just love it!

Spyder Garage

We love our and have never had a single regret! SpyderLovers has the best people IMO and any question that you may have is answered in a very timely manner. Go for the new and let the new memories and adventures begin!

Spyder Garage

Default I was on the fence too..

I have been a member of this site since 2010 when my friend showed me his RS. I almost pulled the trigger in 2010 on a RT. I will be 50 years young this year and I have a few loose ends to tie up and I should be heading to Cowtown MO from Northern Ohio to purchase a RT Limited (Pearle White) before the end of this month (July 2012). I have tossed this around in my head so much that I can’t sleep at night anymore, I feel like a kid in a candy store now I am just busting at the seams I can’t wait. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks…

Spyder Garage

Default 27,500 OTD

At that kind of money you should be talking about a LTD
    2014 RT Ltd Cognac, many farkles, many smiles, many miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgscms View Post
    At that kind of money you should be talking about a LTD
    That includes title taxes and temp. It's 24999

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I paid $26,000. OTD for my 2011 RTS SE5...........no trade. I felt okay about it.......and I LOVE it!!!!
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You will love the but the price seems a little high. I have a 2012 RTS SE 5 and only Pd. 27,000 and make sure you buy extended warranty that too is nego. in price.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Tony!
    Welcome aboard!
    As a fellow A&C rider, I've got to say that I admire your taste in bikes!
    The price??? Try not to think about what you've got IN it; think about what you'll get OUT of it! Each dealer is free to do what they want about negotiating a price, so you might be able to arm-wrestle them for a few more dollars in your pockets.
    Well good luck with the purchasing decision, and we hope to see you in here with a new key in your pocket!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

welcome a board I owen a 2011 rt-s I've had my trobles with it But wouldn't take nothing for it rite now I love riding L'ill Red (rode m/c all my life) check out your dealer they can make or break your enjoyment. my 2 cents Pete
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

Default Jump, off the fence!

I had an 09 Goldwing, I loved that bike, like you I was on the fence until I asked these guys, I took their advice and I want to thank everyone of them for putting me in the Spyder seat, I love the Spyder even more! the confidence gain is truly amazing, this bike is truly a BLAST to ride, I recently went on a ride that was 11 hours, 5 of those were in the rain, I could have gone a couple more, it’s that comfortable, ultimately it’s up to you but if you do pull the trigger, you will be replying to someone else in the future the same way, oh yea, one more thing, if you do get the Spyder be prepared to answer a lot of questions from the attention it gets.

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Also on the fence.

I am new to the site and am also on the fence about purchasing a spyder. I have been riding motorcycles since my first in 1967, a brand new Honda S90 when I was a junior at Mizzou. I currently ride a Yamaha Star Stratoliner purchased new in Sept 2006 with 40,000+ miles on it.

After reading about all of the throttle body problems on this site, I had just about decided against it. One saleman said the problem has been fixed for the 2012's and another said several times they had taken in spyders with so called throttle body problems that turned out to be something else simple.

I have prices from Cowtown of 25,500 for a new one with standard shift and 25,600 from St. Louis Power Sports in Fenton MO for a new one with the semi auto.

This positive thread has put me back on the fence.

Thanks a lot!!

Spyder Garage

Just remenber a salesman will say anything to make a deal
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I may be wrong but I thought the A&C were list at 24,995. The S higher and the LTD above that.

Either way, you should be able to get the A&C lower than that.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

::Pushes off fence:: now get up off the ground an get to it
    if you've test ridden and like it do it... If your not sure, take another ride... If your still not sure go get your bike or trike license (take an MSf course before you even get a bike, some have trike courses) and look around and see who rents them, and rent a spyder for a long weekend. Sure it's not cheap but if it gives you piece of mind about your purchase because it is expensive that's for sure. But if you spend a few hundred renting one and hate it... Well yeah much less headache to drop off a rental than stare at the new toy you purchased with hate... Or you will be so smitten yull know for sure you not only need one but can't live without it.
    Last edited by elixermixer; 07-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Times a wastin'

Quote Originally Posted by alajeu View Post
    I am new to the site and am also on the fence about purchasing a spyder. I have been riding motorcycles since my first in 1967, a brand new Honda S90 when I was a junior at Mizzou. I currently ride a Yamaha Star Stratoliner purchased new in Sept 2006 with 40,000+ miles on it.

After reading about all of the throttle body problems on this site, I had just about decided against it. One saleman said the problem has been fixed for the 2012's and another said several times they had taken in spyders with so called throttle body problems that turned out to be something else simple.

I have prices from Cowtown of 25,500 for a new one with standard shift and 25,600 from St. Louis Power Sports in Fenton MO for a new one with the semi auto.

This positive thread has put me back on the fence.

Thanks a lot!!
    Get off that fence, and get on your Spyder! Life is short, Ryde hard!

--Pete
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

When you own a bike, a whole new world opens up, lot's of great people, great rides and tons of fun. I too, had never owned a bike before I purchased my Spyder two years ago. Before the Spyder, I owned a new Porsche 911 Carrera convertible, it sat in the garage with about 5000 miles on it after the first year, with the Spyder, I had 20,000 miles after the first year. That's how much I like riding my Spyder. Getting ready this month for my second cross country trip and can't wait. Go for it, you'll love it. Good Luck.