Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default TOO MUCH HEAT! And I alost passed out.

I have a 08 Spyder and i haven't rode in almost a year i finally got the opportunity to ride with a great motorcycle club and the fact that i was the only disabled rider they welcomed me with open love. Any way I know it was a hot day but after 2 hours or more the bike was really SUPER HOT . And at times i even got "limp mode" error on the display. Well what i am really asking is there any way i can prevent so much heat from the engine or any area to attack me as i ride. It got so bad the plastic from the top center and the metal from the handle bars where to HOT to touch. I even got home and got water blisters from the heat on my feet and i cant feel them because of my disability so i didnt notice till i got undressed. Are there any recommendations anything anyone can suggest to help with this issue cause i am scared to ride again. Or wait till the cold weather to come back.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check your exhaust gaskets, they could be blown out.

Spyder Garage

baker air wings help,and the heat mangement from spyderpops helps .also take the plastic thing under the engine off it lets a lot of the heat go out the bottem.and i also raped the pipe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What kind of clothes were you wearing? Do you wear riding boots? They really help keep the heat off your feet.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    baker air wings help,and the heat mangement from spyderpops helps .also take the plastic thing under the engine off it lets a lot of the heat go out the bottem.and i also raped the pipe

Ok Mr Napper, so nobody gets the wrong impression...its WRAPPED the pipe..
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What kind of clothes were you wearing? Do you wear riding boots? They really help keep the heat off your feet.
    Good tall leather boots and pants make a big difference. For pants, solid (non-mesh) textile, kevlar-lined jeans or leather are uncomfortable in the heat but they offer far better protection from the engine heat than regular jeans or mesh pants (let alone shorts ).

Yesterday I took the opportunity to pop open the panels and liberally apply double-sided heat tape to all of my left-side panels. My right side has been fine with heat (have Spyderpops, too) but my left side just keeps getting hotter with each passing month, even after replacing my stock gaskets with fresh Honda jobs. Since I have to ride all week in triple-digit heat I'll hopefully know soon enough whether the tape helps matters.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Check your exhaust gaskets, they could be blown out.
    When you get heat that high it could be a leaking exhaust gasket. The stock ones blow at about 8000 miles. I would suggest replacing with the Goldwing gaskets.

Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was wearing yellow and black camo and yellow and black sneaks. I know I know not the best but i was short for time and now i am paying for it with to major blisters . But what name brand would you recommend and for the booths i have to get youth size cause of my small feet. Having my disability they came in size 5 youth go figure. But i want something safe to wear and not to heavy on the legs.
    Last edited by HotWheels; 07-04-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any type of boot will be heavier than your sneaks; though for the size you'll need, the weight shouldn't be as bad as larger sized boots. I have a pair of double Hs' and occasionally wear a pair high top(cover the ankle) work shoes(Shoes for Crews). There are some manufacturers that make motorcycle boots, Tourmaster, Firstgear and Vega to name a few. I'd check your local shoe retailers to see what's available. You could also take a pair of sneaks along with you to change into when you get to your destination. Good luck. Dale

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle boots are probably the tallest and lightest. Don't be afraid to try women's sizes...they look the same. Hiking boots are readily available and offer some insulation. They are also available in youth sizes. They are generally heavier than work boots, but the soles have more traction on the footpegs. I also recommend motorcycle socks. These are knee socks, that really help insulate the legs. I wear them all the time to keep the heat off. The ceramic version of the Sokz are the best for that.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Smile "Raped the pipe"

Whwe, i am glad we got that cleared up

Spyder Garage

get a fan can from isci and there are some options out there. I got rid of the gas canister and it seems to not be as hot in the top center. how many miles did you go? what kind of floorboards do you have?
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Scotty, looking up Sokz socks, it says the Ceramic version is good for cold weather. Are you saying they insulate from heat too??

Right now, I'm wearing two pair of socks for insulation. My most comfortable boots are just over the ankle. But, with two pairs of socks, I have had no heat issues.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Scotty, looking up Sokz socks, it says the Ceramic version is good for cold weather. Are you saying they insulate from heat too??

Right now, I'm wearing two pair of socks for insulation. My most comfortable boots are just over the ankle. But, with two pairs of socks, I have had no heat issues.
    The ceramics are made for the cold, but they seem to work for the heat, too. I wear them with a thin pair of polyester wicking socks. Be aware, they have right and left socks. Yes, you heard me right...weird!

Another alternative is a thicker pair of performance athletic socks with some thinner knee-length riding socks over them. I wore my Moose Racing socks over some REI socks in the heat coming back from Durango and the combination worked pretty well under my tall riding boots.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I really think that "two pairs of socks" is key. The outer pair wicks moisture from the inner pair. And both provide insulation from the heat.

When I used to work with horses and wore heavy boots and was on my feet all day, I swore by two pairs of socks!! People thought I was nuts. But in horribly hot weather, my feet were dry.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Maybe they is a problem with the bike since the Limp Mode came on a couple of times. It just seems like a lot of clothing to try and protect from the heat and since I ride a RT-limited in tennis shoes and shorts (sometimes) I may not be looking at the right problem. I'm thinking a mechanical problem. But most importantly, you are riding and riding with a group.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    I really think that "two pairs of socks" is key. The outer pair wicks moisture from the inner pair. And both provide insulation from the heat.

When I used to work with horses and wore heavy boots and was on my feet all day, I swore by two pairs of socks!! People thought I was nuts. But in horribly hot weather, my feet were dry.
    I'm a big fan of two pairs of socks. My combinations vary, but it seems to work no matter which ones I choose.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Arrow BIKE RIDDING IS SO MUCH FUN BUT STILL TOO HOT :(

I AM BACK!!! Hey every one its been a 1 year since i started this post. I and i have had one hell of a year. I recovered from my spine surgery done in 09 and i just recently and clear of hip surgery done in February 2013. So i am new and improved but i am still dealing with bike being TO HOT to deal with when i ride on warm temperature outside.

So i am back at this post to get some more answers. This is what i changed so far:

I wear High Top Sneaks with the double socks to protect my feet from another burn.
    I had the pipes wrapped as well as the inside of the plastics isolated with the heat resistant material.
    I have all the mods from spyderpops.
    And i have ordered new and longer floor boards on it way.

But i am still getting so much heat from the bottom up into my face and body when i am at a stop. If i don't pour cold water on my face i feel like passing out again. So long day rides are hard to deal with but i refuse to give up now.

So i am going to quote a few things i read hear and hope that i can get some more information please.

napper39
    What plastic thing under the engine? and can this make the engine vulnerable to damage? is there a mod or anything else i can do to just make a vent to it?

NancysToy

When you get heat that high it could be a leaking exhaust gasket. The stock ones blow at about 8000 miles. I would suggest replacing with the Goldwing gaskets.

Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000
    How do i replace the gasket my self and where do i get the Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HotWheels View Post
    I AM BACK!!! Hey every one its been a 1 year since i started this post. I and i have had one hell of a year. I recovered from my spine surgery done in 09 and i just recently and clear of hip surgery done in February 2013. So i am new and improved but i am still dealing with bike being TO HOT to deal with when i ride on warm temperature outside.

So i am back at this post to get some more answers. This is what i changed so far:

I wear High Top Sneaks with the double socks to protect my feet from another burn.
    I had the pipes wrapped as well as the inside of the plastics isolated with the heat resistant material.

But i am still getting so much heat from the bottom up into my face and body when i am at a stop. If i don't pour cold water on my face i feel like passing out again. So long day rides are hard to deal with but i refuse to give up now.

So i am going to quote a few things i read hear and hope that i can get some more information please.

What plastic thing under the engine? and can this make the engine vulnerable to damage? is there a mod or anything else i can do to just make a vent to it?

How do i replace the gasket my self and where do i get the Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000?
    You can get the gaskets from a Honda dealer or on line. It is easy enough to check by holding your hand next tot he joint with a COLD engine running. If you have never changed them then they are bad because the originals do not last very long. They are easy enough to change if you are capable. But honestly, if you are getting that much heat there is something wrong with your bike. I would guess a bad relay and the fan is not coming on. I change my relays every three years just because. You can certainly swap them and see if it makes a difference. I have 60,000 on a bike like yours, I ride in triple digit weather, stop and go, and have never experienced a problem such as you describe. I do use all the gear all of the time and that too makes a huge difference. Just jeans won't hack it if it is really hot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default In addition to making changes on the Spyder...

Several things you can do for yourself, to help handle heat and reduce the likelihood of passing out especially on long day rides. First and foremost is hydration, plenty of fluids - sipping regularly during the ride. A camelbak or drink holder works wonders. Second is keeping your blood sugar from crashing - snack on nuts and fruits or in conjunction with a mildly sweet drink. The protein will help level off your blood sugar. Lastly, wear some wicking underlayer and consider a cooling vest.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

How many bars are showing on your temp guage and when you start moving after being stopped do the number of bars showing change? How's your coolant level and quality of coolant? My spyder rs se5 gets upto 6 bars and then after I start moving again and get going (not immediately) they drop down to 4 or 5. I di a coolant quality check and my coolant says it doesn't boil until 255 degrees F. What kind of windshield do you have and do you ride leaning forward like stock or setting up straighter due to modes like handlebar risers? If you sit more upright the heat is not so close and gets carried away by the air moving around.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The panel is on the left side under the Spyder. Removing it not only helps with cooling but also makes changing your oil easier.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Arrow

But what name brand would you recommend and for the booths i have to get youth size cause of my small feet. Having my disability they came in size 5 youth go figure. But i want something safe to wear and not to heavy on the legs.
    Youth sized boots. May take a little research but you should find something. At least it's a place to start. Hate it every time I hear about you guys getting blistered up.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...torcycle+boots

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Several things you can do for yourself, to help handle heat and reduce the likelihood of passing out especially on long day rides. First and foremost is hydration, plenty of fluids - sipping regularly during the ride. A camelbak or drink holder works wonders. Second is keeping your blood sugar from crashing - snack on nuts and fruits or in conjunction with a mildly sweet drink. The protein will help level off your blood sugar. Lastly, wear some wicking underlayer and consider a cooling vest.
    Don't sip. Drink! Think of your body as a radiator. If it gets hot would you put a "sip" in it? Of course not. Electrolyte replacement products like Gatorade are no substitute for water. One bottle per day may be fine. Then drink water.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The gaskets might be a little hard to switch out by yourself, an extra hand would be helpful. If you PM me your address I have a new set of Honda gaskets I'll send you free of charge. If you are getting some backfiring it is another sign of bad gaskets.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)