Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-mumba View Post
    First of all thank you for all the great information.
    I unfortunately have to make my first ride on my Spyder RRS SE5 from the dealer which is a 2.5 hour ride
    Do you have any suggestions for the ride. I have ridden a Spyder before but for a very limited ride. I also used to ride a sport bike, not that they are the same.
    Any insites would be appreciated
    You'll know soon enough just how comfortable/apprehensive you are, or are not. That alone should be your guide as to how you approach your ride home. We're all different. My first ride was around 1700 miles home. Enjoyed every moment of it.

Take it easy and have fun.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Newbie long first ride home

Newbie here...I have read all the wonderful information you have posted and will endevour to keep up the revs and foot off the brake.
    Is there anything I should be aware of with a "break-in" period. I have a 2.5 hour ride home from the dealer...is it ok to my RSS-SE5 as you have outlined even though it is right out of the crate? Any information for the ride home would be very much appreciated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Newbie here...I have read all the wonderful information you have posted and will endevour to keep up the revs and foot off the brake.
    Is there anything I should be aware of with a "break-in" period. I have a 2.5 hour ride home from the dealer...is it ok to my RSS-SE5 as you have outlined even though it is right out of the crate? Any information for the ride home would be very much appreciated
    You will find varying opinions about properly breaking-in your Spyder.

A couple posts just mentioned most of what I would tell you...

For me it would include using varying speeds (to include highway speeds).

Back roads are good. Do not use the interstate (requires too constant of speed for too long).

Shift at the higher recommended rpm's stated at the top of this thread. (Plenty of reasons to support that. Shifting at too low of rpm's could actually be harmful -- especially during break-in.)

Take your time going home and enjoy the 2.5 hour ride!!! You should do fine.

Just stay alert to road hazards (your Spyder has a low-clearance), and don't trust any other vehicles -- as they are ALL out to run into you (at least that is the mentality you need to have).

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot for this info, I have been riding for 6 month dealers are to helpful. thank again
    Homer Hill

Spyder Garage

BUMP to keep it alive.....

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First gear

Is it ok to drive below 4300 rpm in 1st gear up hill with two people on board? (gravel road)....Thanks

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HuckFin View Post
    Is it ok to drive below 4300 rpm in 1st gear up hill with two people on board? (gravel road)....Thanks
    Not only is it OK......it's smart.

Spyder Garage

The SE clutch locks up at 3200 rpm +/- 200. That means above 3500 you should be good to go. I wouldn't cut it any closer than I had to, but anything above four grand should be perfectly safe.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Not only is it OK......it's smart.

Alright then...WE have a steep gravel hill from our house to the main road...Was afraid of slipping the clutch (SE-5) at low rpm, 8mph...Any slower, I get tire spin. Also, does 1st gear lock-up at low rpm, more so then the higher gears? Two of us went for a ride this morning, but to be on the safe side I walked up the hill and met my wife on top.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Alright then...WE have a steep gravel hill from our house to the main road...Was afraid of slipping the clutch (SE-5) at low rpm, 8mph...Any slower, I get tire spin. Also, does 1st gear lock-up at low rpm, more so then the higher gears? Two of us went for a ride this morning, but to be on the safe side I walked up the hill and met my wife on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The SE clutch locks up at 3200 rpm +/- 200. That means above 3500 you should be good to go. I wouldn't cut it any closer than I had to, but anything above four grand should be perfectly safe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Looks like I need to go faster than I wanted to then, but I have to take my time getting started to keep from spinning the tire. I'll figure something out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like I need to go faster than I wanted to then, but I have to take my time getting started to keep from spinning the tire. I'll figure something out.
    You were given correct information, however sometimes you have to do what you have to. Just as long as you keep it to a minimum and pay attention to your clutch wear.

However... A real Spyder enthusiast would either have the hill taken out or move!

Just joking of course...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I would not worry about RPMs. Just focus on shift speeds, then RPMs will be handled properly. Shift to 2 @ 29, to 3rd @ 39, to 4th @ 49. those shift points will keep your rpms in proper perspective for all types of riding....flat roads, curves, or hills (up or down). Do downshifting t to 4th @ 64, to 3rd @ 49, to 2nd at 39, and to first @ 29.... just memorize it and it will make riding so much more enjoyable
    Last edited by diesel-dawg; 05-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wink THANK YOU ALL

Thanks to all who replied to my "Newbie"/"First Ride" post.
    I had a great but cold ride home--55F, thankful that it did not rain.
    I had forgotten how much I love to ride
    I had a blast and have been out every day since even though the temps are still hovering around 50.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who replied to my "Newbie"/"First Ride" post.
    I had a great but cold ride home--55F, thankful that it did not rain.
    I had forgotten how much I love to ride
    I had a blast and have been out every day since even though the temps are still hovering around 50.
    Ha! Riding kind of makes you tolerate some of the cold; but after a while... cold is COLD!

I'll be there was a few times you almost decided to forget the break-in advice and take the nearest interstate highway and just scoot on home faster!

Glad you made it home safe and with a bit of a smile on your face...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Curves?

Dos? Don'ts? Picking up my Spyder ST Limited next week and spending 6 days riding around TX, OK and NM. Am experienced on 2 wheels and 4, Absolutely NO experience on 3. So - curves? I live in the Southern Mountains of NM and we have LOTS of curves - help?

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    Dos? Don'ts? Picking up my Spyder ST Limited next week and spending 6 days riding around TX, OK and NM. Am experienced on 2 wheels and 4, Absolutely NO experience on 3. So - curves? I live in the Southern Mountains of NM and we have LOTS of curves - help?
    Congrats on the new ST, Good choice you will love it. On curves just lean over your mirrors if you want to take them fast. Right curve lean over right mirror. That may be a little exaggerated but it won't take you long. Good luck. Find you a big empty parking lot and run it thru the paces.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CURVES?

You said experience with 2 wheels and 4. Is that 4 wheels with a handlebar, instead of a steering wheel, as in ATV? If so you're almost home, because the Spyder handling is very similar to an ATV. As opposed to a trike, which must be more like the old original 3-wheel ATVs, which were ultimately discontinued as being too dangerous!
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: "Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners...

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    You said experience with 2 wheels and 4. Is that 4 wheels with a handlebar, instead of a steering wheel, as in ATV? If so you're almost home, because the Spyder handling is very similar to an ATV. As opposed to a trike, which must be more like the old original 3-wheel ATVs, which were ultimately discontinued as being too dangerous!
    Trike is NOTHING like the old 3 wheelers. Spyder was nothing like my quad. My quad drifted, slid and tracked like it was on rails.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Trike is NOTHING like the old 3 wheelers. Spyder was nothing like my quad. My quad drifted, slid and tracked like it was on rails.
    My comments were limited to CURVES. I have ridden 3-wheel ATVs, but not a trike. I have only heard comments that it's quite easy to lift a rear trike wheel in a curve. If your experience belies that, then I'll have to defer to your experience. But on the Spyder, Nanny deals swiftly with any wheel-lift.

As to Spyders vs. ATVs in curves, I'm saying the driving techniques required are very similar; that is what I believe the original poster was asking. I have many years' experience on quads, and now 5,000 miles on my Spyder, and I tell people the steering characteristics are quite similar in curves.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: "Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners...

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    My comments were limited to CURVES. I have ridden 3-wheel ATVs, but not a trike. I have only heard comments that it's quite easy to lift a rear trike wheel in a curve. If your experience belies that, then I'll have to defer to your experience. But on the Spyder, Nanny deals swiftly with any wheel-lift.

As to Spyders vs. ATVs in curves, I'm saying the driving techniques required are very similar; that is what I believe the original poster was asking. I have many years' experience on quads, and now 5,000 miles on my Spyder, and I tell people the steering characteristics are quite similar in curves.
    Gotcha, I tell them its like a go cart or small sports car. The older trikes were terrible, but they have really made good changes in the newer models. To me, the nanny took away some of the fun. Tried drifting and she told me no and took away my fun. Mean Nanny.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BRP needs to add a chapter to their Manual and add this post. Thanks for taking the time to inform everyone on this important stuff that will save a lot of us some heart burn. Great Post!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by North Idaho Rider View Post
    BRP needs to add a chapter to their Manual and add this post. Thanks for taking the time to inform everyone on this important stuff that will save a lot of us some heart burn. Great Post!
    No problem... Hope you enjoy your Spyder!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default regarding battery panels

I have a 2013 ST Limited and it's my first Spyder so I can only suggest an idea that may or may not work....My battery panel is in my Frunk. I changed my screws to thumb screws for easy on/off. For other Spyder models, maybe changing the battery body panel screws to thumb screws would ease the pain of keeping the battery charged using a tender?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ah...(we need a light bulb smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The removal of the body panels surrounding the battery isn't really necessary to use a battery tender.

You can connect a fused pigtail to the battery.
    OH! I understand now. I thought using the tender meant removing the panels each time it was used. I see that the pigtails are a onetime install so you don't have to keep removing the panels.