Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaskat View Post
    This is a great thread. I have been given conflicting information from local mechanics and other riders. Does anyone have a link or site where BRP, Rotax, or CanAm provides this suggested shift point information for the 998cc SE5? My 2013 RT Limited SE5 manual says NOTHING.
    If you have a RTS SE5 with a 998 engine, put it into Trailer Mode to see what RPM's you can shift out of 1st gear. You'll find you cannot shift to 2nd gear till it hits higher RPM's.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    If you have a RTS SE5 with a 998 engine, put it into Trailer Mode to see what RPM's you can shift out of 1st gear. You'll find you cannot shift to 2nd gear till it hits higher RPM's.
    The consensus appears to be: the 998 engine likes high revs. Keeping the engine at revs above 5000 all the time is best. At 5500 it seems to come alive. Once you find your exact "sweet spot" in the 5000's you will be happy.

We still drive our 2011 in that range all the time. At 65 mph 5500 will be what you end up with anyway. Others have cautioned about revs under 3000 on the 998. It lugs and will tend to burn out the clutch.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Others have cautioned about revs under 3000 on the 998. It lugs and will tend to burn out the clutch.
    The ECM keeps a record of time vs rpm and shows it as a histogram in BUDs. If you have too much time below 4000 rpm your service tech may chastise you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    In trailer mode my 2010 998 RT keeps me from shifting before 3500 rpm, sometimes this is frustrating , but also thankful BRP was thinking ahead

For any other shifting without trailer mode: This is a high rerving engine, so 3500-4500 is the norm, however out of trailer mode if you shift too soon you wil feel the engine lag. Oh and yes if you are on the freeway, shifting from 4th to 5th at 69-71 mph the RPM’s should be between 5200-5500 . This is optimal for engine life and smooth sailing

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A Must Read List

I just want everyone to know and understand.

This is a great 'Sticky Note' . I read it every year.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The ECM keeps a record of time vs rpm and shows it as a histogram in BUDs. If you have too much time below 4000 rpm your service tech may chastise you.
    Right on the money. When Ann and Joe did my wheel alignment, the histogram showed we passed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Article

Awesome article, Thanks

Spyder Garage

Very glad I read this before I pick mine up at dealer.
    Informative and helpful for a first time Spyder Owner
    Thanks to whoever helped and typed it all out
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

New rider that was out for my first longish ride today. I could just feel like I didn't have the shifting down. This clears it up so much for me. I was feeling like it was riding better in high rpms but I didn't think it was good for the engine. Also I was going into 5th to much I gather Can't wait for my next ridee to get my shifting down from this post read. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great post. I learned a good bit reading it. I bought my 2015 F3-SM6 just over a week ago. So far I've only put 200 miles on it. Had read several other posts and the manual thoroughly. I changed the oil and filter today. Next week I will flush the clutch fluid and the brake fluid. I don't think it's ever been done going by the color of the fluids. Just downloaded a service manual. I intend to do most service myself. I was riding old gold wings for 20 years and did all my own maintenance with them. Need to sell off my gold wing parts. I could probably build a couple. I'll be posting often for awhile. Lots of questions. As I live on a gravel road(.4 miles to pavement), I'll be looking for advice on belt guards.
    Larry 2015 Spyder F3 SM6
    2015 F3 SM6 , Orange

Spyder Garage

Default who knows how many countless Headaches this saved me...

wow. Read all the hints.. tips.. instructions/do’s/dont’s/never’s/sometimes and ‘1day when your older’s
    And enjoyed many of the comments that followed
    Its one HELL of a MUST READ, and Great reference. ..Knocks the Socks clean off my Spyder Manual
    (also thoroughly read thru).

[Unbelievably, mine actually had the Manual!
    Thank You “Scott” for all the bookmarks, where ever you are!]

Noob Spyder Owner as of Halloween... a beautiful blue metallic 2019 F3-T w superlow miles.
    I’m coming up to speed, 1 day and 1 at a time.

Can’t thank the author/community/everyone enough, for all the rrrrrridiculously helpful info (and pictures!)
    And not just on my model. The comparisons with the other lines have been very insightful.
    Been lurking for a few weeks, while I was teetering on whether to buy or not... and what to check when i did.
    but whenever I went digging for more info... SpyderLovers always had the GoodStuff.

Got a few more interesting threads to delve into,
    but just chiming in as yet another Highly grateful rYder
    Can’t recommend it enough.

Spyder Garage

On behalf of all the members of the forum, thank you very much for the kind words!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are some pretty fart smellers here, aren't there? (Sorry. I meant "smart fellers".)

Spyder Garage

From newbie cbchief, well read advice, thanks, can’t wait for mine to be delivered.
    2020 rel chrome grey

Spyder Garage

Default Do's & Do nots

Enjoyed the in depth explanation on items of operation.
    I have just joined the community as a new Can-am owner but lifetime 2-wheel rider.
    I purchased a brand new 2019 Spyder RT Limited in August this year. Have put 820 miles on it and 750 miles on my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Limited Classic, which I am selling or have listed it anyway for sale.
    My wife is now going to ride with me (again) since I have a 3-wheeler!!
    Looking forward to 2021, we are both retired and hope to ride a bunch.
    Badkins

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by badkins View Post
    Enjoyed the in depth explanation on items of operation.
    I have just joined the community as a new Can-am owner but lifetime 2-wheel rider.
    I purchased a brand new 2019 Spyder RT Limited in August this year. Have put 820 miles on it and 750 miles on my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Limited Classic, which I am selling or have listed it anyway for sale.
    My wife is now going to ride with me (again) since I have a 3-wheeler!!
    Looking forward to 2021, we are both retired and hope to ride a bunch.
    Badkins
    & .... when I made the switch ( to Spyders ) back in 09, before I took it out for a test ride, the manager told me it doesn't handle like a Motorcycle ..... just drive it like a CAR ...... I had no issues and traded my 03 GW that day .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Great advise....

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm now wondering how much I am going to get my hands slapped for over revving my 1330 when I take mine in for it's first service. Just in the process of learning and a few "fast takeoffs" I missed a few shifts and brought the revs up.

And after getting comfortable with riding on the highway I went to see my son down in Richmond on 95 there may have been a few times I went up to 90 mph just to pull out and get away from large groups of cars around me.

Will I end up in the BRP tech jail for some overrevving and excessive speed? I didn't realize that the nanny was also a tattletale!

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I'm now wondering how much I am going to get my hands slapped for over revving my 1330 when I take mine in for it's first service. Just in the process of learning and a few "fast takeoffs" I missed a few shifts and brought the revs up.

And after getting comfortable with riding on the highway I went to see my son down in Richmond on 95 there may have been a few times I went up to 90 mph just to pull out and get away from large groups of cars around me.

Will I end up in the BRP tech jail for some overrevving and excessive speed? I didn't realize that the nanny was also a tattletale!
    Don't worry about it. Running the engine under 4000 rpm much of the time is a problem for the 998 V-twin only. That's mostly because of the clutch design. As far as revving either engine the only issue would be running it above redline for extended periods. Your occasional times of high rev will hardly register in the histogram. Since I have BUDS I decided to get a picture of the RPM histogram for my 2014 RTS. As you can see it shows 0% above 6000 rpm although the maximum reading is 6040. A big share of my highway riding is at 65+ with some spurts above 80 so you'd have to really kick it in the butt for quite awhile to register time above 6000 rpm. Redline is 7500 rpm.

RPM History.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, I think I'm good there. I'll wait and see if I get a lashing when the tech finishes up on it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Mister you have answered so many of my ?? I rode my 2011 RT for 700 miles wrong... Just not the riding the brake thing I know better It only had 4000 on it when i got it. So after 45 years on two wheels I have had a adjustment period hoping I did not ruin anything but MAN !!! what a difference now that I read your advice everything makes better sense I knew something was off in the performance just did not know what to do .So thanks a million

Spyder Garage

On behalf of all newbies, thanks for this thread.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: No need to Quote the whole Thread.... it's already a Sticky.... ;-)

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for this thread
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2022 at 10:11 PM. Reason: thread ;-)
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Spyders have what's called a constant mesh transmission. When the rider shifts from Neutral to Reverse or 1st the transmission goes CLUNK! DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT; IT DOESN'T HURT THE ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info.
    2022 F3S , Monolith black