Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Used Spyder

I am presently in the hunt for a used Spyder...is there a particular year or style I should avoid?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I am presently in the hunt for a used Spyder...is there a particular year or style I should avoid?
    They are all good--but--the 2013 RT has had heat issues. A fix by BRP is currently on. The jury is still out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What AKSpyderMan said. Otherwise, test ryde all the models to see which style you like. Have fun!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum.

May I suggest you pose your question in a new separate topic. You'll get more attention to it that way, and also you won't mix up topics of conversation within a thread. This thread is focused on things new Spyder owners need to be aware of, so let's try to keep it focused on that. Thanks.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Engine RPM

Thanks so much for this thread. Prospective owner here - pick up my 2014 RT-S SE6 in a couple of days.
    Read entire thread last night. Confused on one issue - engine RPM. As an ex-sports car racer, and
    bike rider for 45 years, I'm familiar with powerbands, both HP and torque. But.....the thread author
    recommends always staying in the powerband, yet the manual recommends much lower shift points.
    Also my Audi A5 is running only 1800 RPM at a true 75!

Can anyone state definitively where the clutch lockup is for the 1330? Is it advisable to always cruise
    above that point, even though shift points might be lower? If cruising below lockup RPM, is the
    clutch slipping all the time?

Plan to ask these of the dealer when I pick up, but not sure I'll get good answers.

BTW, my questions are for relaxed cruising, not for highest performance.

Thanks for your help, John
    Last edited by rcflyrj; 06-04-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added clarifier

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcflyrj View Post
    Can anyone state definitively where the clutch lockup is for the 1330? Is it advisable to always cruise
    above that point, even though shift points might be lower? If cruising below lockup RPM, is the
    clutch slipping all the time?
    Please re-read the information. A 1330 does not have the same rpm requirements of the 998 engine. The recommended rpm's for the 1330 are listed; and are provided as a result of many experienced riders' advice.

The clutch "lock" issue is for SE clutches only, not manual clutches. This also does not apply to the 1330's; so no need to worry.

Even at relaxed riding, you'll find your machine operates better at the recommended rpm's listed.

Ride safe, often, and aware!

Illinois Boy

Spyder Garage

Default SE6 Clutch Lockup

Just to close the loop on this subject. Picked up my 2014 RT S SE6 from dealer today. Queried service manager on the subject. He checked with his Spyder tech who had factory training. The tech confirmed that lockup is 3000 rpm and that Can Am recommended not cruising for extended periods below that, or expect premature wear on the clutch. Not in writing anywhere, especially not in the manual.

FWIW!

John

BTW, absolutely LOVE the bike! Glad I took the plunge.

Spyder Garage

This is in the Sticky about the 990 engines but I have an 2014 1330 RT SM6 and if someone can give me a guide to follow for it that would help me alot. I am a bit confused about what RPMs to run at. I do not have anywhere else to gather info, as we don't have "dealers" here to turn to, they are just people in resale. So something like this for the 1330 manual transmission would be very helpful. I have run it in Eco mode and change gear with the green arrow.

SHIFTING-POINT SUGGESTIONS for an RTS-SE5:

1st to 2nd gear: Shift between 22 MPH and 29+ MPH - no sooner!
    2nd to 3rd gear: Shift at 5100+ rpm's (39 MPH) Up-shifting to 3rd gear drops the rpm’s to 4,300 -- exactly the rpm's you want to stay above.
    3rd to 4th gear: Shift again at 5100+ rpm's (49 MPH)
    4th to 5th gear: Shift to 5th only when you reach 65 MPH on level terrain. Upshift and downshifting in 5th is expected on hilly terrain to keep the rpm’s up.

I am very guilty of riding the break and won't be doing that NO MORE!!

Plus unfortunately I have a about 500 yards of dirt road, no gravel, it has the occasional loose rock but I have my guys going over it now for that, and removing any they find. I am so worried about this and considering pouring cement over this to make it ok? Or if I just make sure there is not much rocks, it is not gravel, do you think this is ok? Especially with a 2014 RT?

Thank you, this is such wonderful material, and will save me from spending huge money on my bike! Thank YOU!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    This is in the Sticky about the 990 engines but I have an 2014 1330 RT SM6 and if someone can give me a guide to follow for it that would help me alot. I am a bit confused about what RPMs to run at. I do not have anywhere else to gather info, as we don't have "dealers" here to turn to, they are just people in resale. So something like this for the 1330 manual transmission would be very helpful. I have run it in Eco mode and change gear with the green arrow.

I am very guilty of riding the break and won't be doing that NO MORE!!

Plus unfortunately I have a about 500 yards of dirt road, no gravel, it has the occasional loose rock but I have my guys going over it now for that, and removing any they find. I am so worried about this and considering pouring cement over this to make it ok? Or if I just make sure there is not much rocks, it is not gravel, do you think this is ok? Especially with a 2014 RT?

Thank you, this is such wonderful material, and will save me from spending huge money on my bike! Thank YOU!!!
    Read the first post of this entire thread. It is updated constantly by me. There are certainly shifting suggestions for the 1330 engine.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 06-11-2015 at 06:25 AM.