Quote Originally Posted by rosebelle View Post
Shifter, I remember the Yamaha RD350 2 stroke. What did you get out of the tank when running the old ton? Something like 50 miles, refuel every 1/2 hour?. How long did it last doing that? 5000 miles? Not much was it, to have to rebuild it. That bike doesn't support the argument on this thread either.
Yeah heavy on fuel and 2 stroke oil but big on excitement!
Was a long time ago, owned both the RD350 air cooled as well as an old XS650 twin, world's apart.
Didn't really own it long enough to rebuild it but throwing rings in an elderly 2-stroke is a walk in the park:-)
After posting elsewhere and getting more reaction I now see I've both misread and mis interpreted the OPs sticky post......I'll move my 1/8" masking tape line down to 3500rpm as the NO GO area.
I'll see what revs it's pulling at a legal 60kph(37mph) in third as riding around at 5000 at that speed sounds and feels ridiculous and cruel to the engine,
I know not to lug a modern V Twin engine, I also own a Victory Vegas cruiser 1700cc and it don't like to lug either, it'll do it but it's cruel on the engine.
It's best at 3000 and up, the factory limiter comes in at 5100 on my model but with the pipes, intake, advance,as well as Power Commander V and dynotuned I've had it lifted to 5500 and will have it extended to 6500 once hotter cams and big bore kit go in later this year.
But that's apples and oranges and pumpkins really.
The Polaris V Twin and the Rotax V Twin are different animals entirely.
I've got to do a run today to see a herbalist who is making me up some Comfrey ointment as the strong stuff is unobtainable here right now.
And my wrist is still sore from the Spyder bite last week:-)