Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Got it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post

Remember... these are suggestions to help you enjoy your Spyder more. While it is not in bold-face font, or even a headline... it is in the manual under the section for shifting with the SE5.

Page 76 of the RTS-SE5 Manual states: 7b) Upshifting from First into Second Gear: – Press the gear selector forward to
    shift into second gear. You do not have to release the throttle while shifting with the SE5.

When I first got my Spyder, I would argue that rolling-back the throttle when shifting made for a smoother shift. (I have ridden motorcycles for years also... and still do -- which was my influence to roll-off.) No longer do I feel this way with the Spyder.

What I, personally, found (others may have a different opinion) is once I started shifting at higher RPM's it would shift very smoothly without rolling-off the throttle. In fact, smoother. I do not get any type of "bump" at all hardly ever -- but rather an almost inaudible "click".

Increased RPM's were discovered by me when I pulled my loaded trailer with the Spyder. Once in "trailer-mode", the Spyder wouldn't let me shift until I was at much higher RPM's than I had been shifting at previously. That trip was somewhere around 700+ miles -- plenty of time to get used to the higher RPM shifts.

What I noticed was more power at the throttle in any given gear; smoother engine; smoother shifts (without rolling-back the throttle); and less belt vibration. Overall fuel management did not change much, if any either.

There are many Spyder owners that will attest to the same. Hope this helps explain this a bit more.

Enjoy, and ride safe and alert!

Ok, thanks!
    In the 2012 RT manual it's been moved to page 78 . I see what you mean, although I still get a shift "bump" at higher RPM's when it's pulling hard. Not much of a bump, and I'm certainly still a novice with all of 110 miles. :-)

I'll have to play with it. I don't have enough hours to say much of anything with authority yet about the bike, other than there should be some kind of appropriately-worded warning about how poorly it handles with heavy loads using the stock front spring pre-load setting. I changed it from 3 (stock) to 5 (stiffest) and it went from "mushy, unstable-feeling what have I bought here" to "Ok, but remember to drive it like a snowmobile, dummy!" I'd like to ride a 2012 with upgraded shocks/springs or a 2013 to see if putting money in the suspension would be worthwhile. All things in time.

--jim

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
    Ok, thanks!
    In the 2012 RT manual it's been moved to page 78 . I see what you mean, although I still get a shift "bump" at higher RPM's when it's pulling hard. Not much of a bump, and I'm certainly still a novice with all of 110 miles. :-)

I'll have to play with it. I don't have enough hours to say much of anything with authority yet about the bike, other than there should be some kind of appropriately-worded warning about how poorly it handles with heavy loads using the stock front spring pre-load setting. I changed it from 3 (stock) to 5 (stiffest) and it went from "mushy, unstable-feeling what have I bought here" to "Ok, but remember to drive it like a snowmobile, dummy!" I'd like to ride a 2012 with upgraded shocks/springs or a 2013 to see if putting money in the suspension would be worthwhile. All things in time.

--jim
    The manual will also tell you that higher preload settings are appropriate with heavy loads.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default i'm a believer!

illinois boy you are spot on about shifting at higher rpm's and not rolling off the throttle. i have followed your advice and it has made a world of difference in my ride. it is a smoother shift (barely noticeable), more power, and my spyder just feels better. thank you for all the do's and don'ts. they are invaluable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The manual will also tell you that higher preload settings are appropriate with heavy loads.
    Sure. It doesn't say, though that it's as big an issue as it apparently is. It makes sense after-the-fact, but the Spyder is by far the most sensitive vehicle I've ridden in that regard. It's not a criticism of the bike, but a little more emphasis in the manual would be a good thing. It may sound like hyperbole, but the difference is a big deal and potentially a safety issue - in my opinion, of course.

--jim