Spyder Garage

Default i need a boost of confidence lol

I dont want to sell my bike buts its driving me crazy. I been riding it for 4 months and in fours months the belt has broke, transmission computer went out, paddle shiftor went out, speedometer stopped working, headlight problems, reverse work sometimes sometimes it dont. omly bright spot everything been covered by warranty. so tell me is this bike a piece of crap or just my first couple months been that bad. its like i ride 2 days shop for 2 weeks ride 2 days shop 2 weeks, im currently heading into my second shop week ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RS that I purchased back last April, and have had ZERO problems .... need to go find a lot of wood now to knock on

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to see you are having so many problem I have had mine for some months now with no problems thank god have about 3000 miles on it bI do notice that the semi automatic ones seam to have more problem along with the RT models I am sure they will work out all the bugs you have to understand BRP built a high tech machine I hope all goes well for you

Spyder Garage

I have followed this forum for a few years and there seems to be some Spyders that are just pills. So are some spyder ryders but that is a whole 'nother thing. Some bikes run hot. Some are always throwing codes. Some are always limping. Some cook peoples right foot. and so on. I would have to say the majority just purr along like kittens. Bottomline is the basic technology has been around since the Civil War.

I have had two RS's and driven them 50K miles so far. I have had a few problems. It is a radically new design so problems should not be unexpected. I have to say I have little patience for poor designs having been on that side of the table for a lot of years. That and I only have a few more revolutions left on this old mud ball so who has the time?

When this machine works right they are a true joy to operate. I just had mine out for a 113 mile-710 turn spin and It was just the best. I hope your problems get straightened out. If you need advice or help there is a lot of it here on this forum. While I can sympathize that is not going to help you. I wish yuo luck in getting things fixed.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

I have had my 2011 RT for a year now and have had no problems. "Knock on wood" Hopefully after saying that I won't have any problems.

2011 RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Geez, you have lots of patience when it comes to your Spyder. So many issues? I've been lucky so far, as I've not had any issues requiring repair. Like other posters, for me, life is too short to deal with too many problems. I worked for a major Japanese auto manufacturer ( that also build motorcycles) and trouble free quality products became an obsession. Some would say I'm too picky, but I can't deal with continual quality or design issues in a car, bike, ATV or boat.

Based on what you've indicated you have been through, I too might be rethinking your bike. However, I'm becoming partial to the Spyder, so hang in there, and make sure you have a good dealer servicing it properly.

Best of luck in getting on, and staying on the road.

Spyder Garage

Default Talk to Dealer

I'd talk to either a BRP rep. or your dealer. Document the problems you've had, and ask what they can do for you. I had a 2000 Indian Chief motorcycle that gave me fits from the day I bought it. I was on a trip 1500 miles from home, called Indian and they called ahead to the closest dealer (Prescott Valley, AZ). Dealer was ready to do whatever was necessary to get me back on the road. Talked to him a little while and told him my confidence in this bike was shot. When I left he called Indian and when I returned he had made a deal with Indian for me to get special pricing on any available bike if I chose to buy one. They had a great looking '02 Chief in stock (black like my Spyder), that I ended up riding away, and the deal we made was very sweet. This would be the happy ending, but the second Chief wound up having as many problems as the first (unlikely with the Spyder), but none the less it was an impressive attempt at customer service by Indian and the dealer.
    2012 RS Black - Fox Shocks, BRP Touring Windshield, BRP Sport Rack, BRP Backrest, BRP 1"Riser,Kuryakyn Console Inserts, Spyder Pops Missing Air Dam and Heat Shield
    Next Up - Madstad Brackets, Floorboards, Kuryakyn Iso-Grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    I dont want to sell my bike buts its driving me crazy. I been riding it for 4 months and in fours months the belt has broke, transmission computer went out, paddle shiftor went out, speedometer stopped working, headlight problems, reverse work sometimes sometimes it dont. omly bright spot everything been covered by warranty. so tell me is this bike a piece of crap or just my first couple months been that bad. its like i ride 2 days shop for 2 weeks ride 2 days shop 2 weeks, im currently heading into my second shop week ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Try a different dealer to do your service, ask them to go over it from top to bottom before they give it back. Suspect this will give you a different outcome then what you have so far experienced. What is it you have to loose by not trying someone else to work on it???
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default new dealer?

it kinda sounds like your bike was never set up correctly from day one. are you happy with your dealer? maybe you should try a different one. broken belt, electrical problems, just sounds like poor set up. mine runs perfect ever since i've had it, except for one load of bad gas. 4k miles.i think the vast majority are pretty good.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you what i did ,You might not want to hear it, Once i lost confidence in my Spyder i sold it.
    And i would sell any vehicle that i lost confidence in,
    ''BUT FIRST'' ............
    Find another dealer and if they can't fix it to your satisfaction,' And you still think it's [in your own words] a piece of crap, sell it and move on.

Spyder Garage

Not saying this is the problem but a guy I work with bought a 2010 rs SE% and lots of problems the first cpl months. Then we for a ride and his acted up a little so had him ride my SM5. ZRestarted his and no problems on the rest of a 300 mile ride. He got back on it and problems within 15miles. I got on again and good all the way home. Found out he was lugging the motor down thinking any rpms over 3500 were over revving and hurting the motor, the SE5 really didn't like it and it was acting up left and right. Got him to keep the rpms over 3500 at most times and he's had no problems since.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the bike was never set up right and the techs at your dealer either don't really care or don't know what to do. This is pretty common in some of the smaller dealers. I would call Cowtown or some of the other big guys selling and servicing Spyders. Would like some info though. Do you have an RS or an RT? Did you buy it new or used? How long have you been riding bikes? Lots of long time bike riders, myself included, have a hard time adjusting to the RPMs that are required to keep Spydee happy. The motor sounds like crap when it's the happiest! At around 4,500 to 5,500 RPMs

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problems. I looked up your profile and don't see any information about your ride.

It would be helpful to know RS or RT, Did you buy it new or used?

The advice about seeing another dealer is probably good. If you bought the new, it does not sound like it was set up very well. That makes a big difference in how the runs. Please keep us posted as to the outcomes.

I am on my fourth and still a happy lover. I have put over 50,000 miles on my spyders and my ex-has over 25,000 miles on her Spyder. Thats 75,000 miles with no major problems other than service bulletins and routine service.

My new 2011 was set up great and runs just like it should. 1250 miles in two weeks of ownership.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you might need an exorcism rather than a boost of confidence!
    This sounds like the dealer might have forgotten how to set up a bike for delivery... AGAIN!
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

maybe i will try the rpm trick advice,

Spyder Garage

You mentioned 6 things that have been fixed via warranty and that sounds to me like you got a lemon. It happens and you should be able to get your money back to buy another or get an exchange. Do some research on the Lemon Law for your area. There are specific requirements for most areas as to whether it qualifies as a lemon.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default Lemon Law may not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    You mentioned 6 things that have been fixed via warranty and that sounds to me like you got a lemon. It happens and you should be able to get your money back to buy another or get an exchange. Do some research on the Lemon Law for your area. There are specific requirements for most areas as to whether it qualifies as a lemon.
    In some places the Lemon Law only applies if it is the same component/system that keeps failing. He might have a case with the transmission, but even then, some states require it to be the exact same issue with no resolution. Any change in wording of the issue on the dealers repair receipts and it is not covered by the Lemon Laws. Hope his state is a little more liberal than that.
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have a new 2012 Limited with 2800 miles and 5 months old. It's been great so far... I think 95% plus have little to no problems and 5% have serious issues. I purchased a new 2012 Limited and after two days it would not start, happened two times in a couple of weeks, the dealer offered me my trade in's and money back or a replacement with one just like it, I took the replacement... I am very pleased at this time.

You may never have another issue...Like everyone says dealer set up and properly trained technicians are the key to happy ownership. I hope you have that if not you will continue having problems.
    'Bikeless'