Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question any experience with BumpSkid

New to site and ownership of '12 RT, has anyone used the BumpSkid and does it effect cooling temps?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ccmsgt View Post
    New to site and ownership of '12 RT, has anyone used the BumpSkid and does it effect cooling temps?
    No effect on cooling. Did keep a gator chunk tossed at me by a U-Haul rental truck from poking a hole in, or tearing the nose off my Spyder on the way to Durango.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I had it put on my '12 RT about a month ago, no problems with it at all.

About three days after it was put on we pulled into a parking spot a little too fast and wacked the curb pretty solidly.
    Just put a little scuff on the Skid. Glad it was on there.

Romney & Boyd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to the board and to the spyder family. I don't know the answer but someone will chime with one. Looks like it was answered while I was typing. Dale

Spyder Garage

Had one put on at Spyderfest on a 2010 RT. Looks great, no effect on cooling that I can see (have been riding ion hot weather with no issues). It may have added about 1.5 MPG. I have tracked my mpg since I got the bike and it has gone up over that last 10 fillups. Just saying. I would also be interested in what others are seeing.
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Spyder Garage

Default MPG increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Had one put on at Spyderfest on a 2010 RT. Looks great, no effect on cooling that I can see (have been riding ion hot weather with no issues). It may have added about 1.5 MPG. I have tracked my mpg since I got the bike and it has gone up over that last 10 fillups. Just saying. I would also be interested in what others are seeing.
    Yes, I think maybe a couple miles per gallon. Of course, it could be my smooth control and superior abilities, but I wouldn't take that to a bank and try to get cash. I have been using mostly 89 octane since prices came down a little. I know I probably should use it all the time, it's the result of having parents that survived the depression and never got over being frugal. You should see my grandkids gawk at me when I repeat (for the umteenth time) that my first car was a $35 1940 Chevy. It was a little rough, to put it mildly, but many other kids went through the same learning curve in the late 40s and early 50s. OK, enough of that stuff.............. Have a good day.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

I have to use two thin boards so it clears when loading my Spyder on my Alumna TK-1 Trailer. It's no big deal to do so.

Spyder Garage

The Bump Skid should be the first accessory you add to the RT. At the owners event I drove up to Harvey's trailer(SpyderPops) and shook his hand. I said thank you for saving my front end. When I was leaving Zion National Park for Page Arizona there was some on coming traffic and right in my lane was 3 large boulders, I had only one place to go and that was towards the shoulder of the road. I thought there was enough room but the left wheel fell of the road and hit the shoulder the skid plate took a hard whack. I got back on the road pulled over to inspect the damage and there was none, just a deep gouge in the skid plate....it did its job. This thing is bullet proof and well worth the cost. I also noticed my mileage go up a bit and no problems in the 105 degree heat towing a trailer.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Spyder Garage

I have had it for a couple of months and it has help protect my RT at lest one time from road repair.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Default Planing.....

Has anyone unexpectedly hit deep water on the road using one of these?
    wonder if it might be like the bow of a boat planing....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderrock View Post
    The Bump Skid should be the first accessory you add to the RT. At the owners event I drove up to Harvey's trailer(SpyderPops) and shook his hand. I said thank you for saving my front end. When I was leaving Zion National Park for Page Arizona there was some on coming traffic and right in my lane was 3 large boulders, I had only one place to go and that was towards the shoulder of the road. I thought there was enough room but the left wheel fell of the road and hit the shoulder the skid plate took a hard whack. I got back on the road pulled over to inspect the damage and there was none, just a deep gouge in the skid plate....it did its job. This thing is bullet proof and well worth the cost. I also noticed my mileage go up a bit and no problems in the 105 degree heat towing a trailer.
    So many first accessories...

Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid

I have a '12 RT and have not experienced any increase in operating temps. 5,000 miles in three months and have bottomed out 3 -4 times. Worth the price and would do it again.

Doug Friedrichsen
    '12 RT Ltd with trailer
    2016 RT Ltd , White with lots of Red and Gold

Spyder Garage

Default Just Ordered

I just ordered the bump plate. Does anyone know about installation - is it hard or take a long time. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhansen309 View Post
    I just ordered the bump plate. Does anyone know about installation - is it hard or take a long time. Thanks.
    It's not hard and comes with excellent instructions.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BumpSkid

Well? I think everyone answered that question tenfold!? Definitely is a "must have" accessory. Thanks SpyderPops for installing your ingeniousness on our RT!

Romney
    RedroC's Rominator

Spyder Garage

I won one at Spyderfest. Let's say I was a skeptic and I would not have bought one of these. Since I have put it on I have noticed a significant improvement in gas mileage and strangely an increase in top speed of my 2010 RT to 105 mph. Top before, despite fuel controller, pipe and air filter was 102. I am now a believer in this as a good mod for improved aerodynamics, and it protects the front end as well. Thanks Spyderpops!
    2010 RTS and 2013 RSS