Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default How do I disassemble the RT mirror housings?

I'd like to install mirror mounted turn signal indicators on my RT limited but haven't figured out how to open up the housings. I don't want to start prying and possibly break something. Anyone opened these things up that can explain how to do it?
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

You've got it right. Pry it open

Read last photo to first.
    Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I installed mirror LEDs yesterday

I took a few minutes to look at the surface of the housing that meets with the main body of my RTS. There are 3 clip areas. These clips look like half arrow heads. One for the coloured piece and two for the lower black. I used a screwdriver to release the clip for the coloured piece, then just pulled (folded away from) the main body.
    The lower (black) part, I undid the two clips and pulled (folded or hinged) that part away.
    Then I undid the three screws that held the front LED unit in place. No need to disassemble further.
    Turn the unit around (look at the mirror side) and you will notice an existing hole in the plastic underneath the outer edge of the mirror. This is where I ran the wires for my new LEDs. On the Spyder the black wire is the ground and the non-black or striped is the hot.
    Hope my description helps.

Spyder Garage

You don't need to disassemble the mirror - just drill a small hole for the LED wires and fish them down through the assembly. There are a couple of threads on here that explain it.

I did mine that way and it was pretty easy ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even prying them apart; there's a lot of room in the process for breaking off the tabs... Please proceed with great care and caution. Lots of patience will win the day!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You shouldn't have to drill any holes, there is a large hole on the inside mirror housing that you can run the wires through. Once you get the covers off then you can separate the mirror housing and the mirror will move back about an inch, then run your led strip on the mold line.

Spyder Garage

Phil, Where did you find these instructions and pictures? I've looked through a large portion of the service manual and can't find them. I also looked through the operator manual without any luck.

Spyder Garage

Default RT mirrors...

This may give you some idea of where the locking tabs are located. As others have said, disassembly is a stinker. Proceed with caution.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the excellent picture!

Spyder Garage

It is probably very satisfying being on the mirror assembly line at BRP.
    Click, click, click and there, the mirror is quickly assembled.

For the owner, though, pulling them apart again is sort of counter-intuitive in the way you have to poke around blind with a screwdriver and prise the thing apart like a stubborn shellfish. Breaking off those unforgiving tabs is way too easy. You will never be ready for that to happen but chances are it will. I speak from experience, of course.

Opening them up can be achieved if you have a lot of time on your hands and you are overloaded with the patience of the Man in the Moon but in my view it would have made a much easier and quicker job to have had some neat little screws to undo instead of fiddling about with those pesky break-off tabs.

Just saying...

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Phil, Where did you find these instructions and pictures? I've looked through a large portion of the service manual and can't find them. I also looked through the operator manual without any luck.
    I bought the chrome accents for the mirrors and those are from the sheet that came in the package. I know, I cheated

Spyder Garage

Default screw it...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post

For the owner, though, pulling them apart again is sort of counter-intuitive in the way you have to poke around blind with a screwdriver and prise the thing apart like a stubborn shellfish. Breaking off those unforgiving tabs is way too easy. You will never be ready for that to happen but chances are it will. I speak from experience, of course.

Opening them up can be achieved if you have a lot of time on your hands and you are overloaded with the patience of the Man in the Moon but in my view it would have made a much easier and quicker job to have had some neat little screws to undo instead of fiddling about with those pesky break-off tabs.

Just saying...
    The best thing BRP could have done on the RT would have been to screw the mirrors on. Those crazy loose fitting pins, and vibrating mirrors drive me cwazy.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well if anybody busts them up; I've got a spare set in Blue that somebody can have if they need them...

Spyder Garage

I got mine apart the other day to wire LED strips that I attached to the lower part of the mirror. Can't even begin to tell anyone how to do it. I was lucky and didn't break any tabs and its great seeing the LED's light up when the signals are one. Much nicer than squinting at little green dot in panel to see if I turned the sig off or switched it accidently to other side.

Spyder Garage

Well the clips on the chrome covers break real easy. Velcro used to put it back together.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Well the clips on the chrome covers break real easy. Velcro used to put it back together.

Got the 2nd side done without incident.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    You don't need to disassemble the mirror - just drill a small hole for the LED wires and fish them down through the assembly. There are a couple of threads on here that explain it.

I did mine that way and it was pretty easy ...
    This is what I did Saturday. I drilled the top corner then fished the wire to the bike side of the housing. I added the < and > indicators. Warning: The plastic cover is not held on very well. I used liquid black tape to seal the light and hold the cover on better.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Just saying...
    +1. I did mine, but it was a real SOB. I wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

No Need to take mirror apart- Drill hole-Get wire to lower clip opening-Drill small holes through walls on the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a question that is related to this. I took my mirrors off in the process of installing new headlight bulbs and I am not satisfied that they are reinstalled correctly. The left side snapped right into place, but the left side doesn't seem to have tightened up on the one of the mounting screws. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Ryde On!
    R & B

Spyder Garage

Probably the Lower Front Pin- Takes Time and Practise- When you get it you won,t forget it!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

use nylon string, like grading string, and your shop vac ,put the shop vac on your mirror where the wires come out, you will be amazed at how fast that string flys thru the mirror housing, then attach the led wires to the string and pull them thru. sorry I forgot to say you still have to drill the hole where you want it
    Last edited by johnwinslow; 11-07-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default mirror disassembly

Phil:

I would like to read the entire section in the Shop Manual, since I broke two tabs "gently prying apart" the covers from one mirror on my 2014 RT-Limited (chrome garnish cover).
    Before I do any more damage on the second mirror, I want to read a little more to arm myself with knowledge.

I have the "Green Book" electronic PDF and in the "Chassis" section where all the body panels are described, I find no mention of mirror dis-assembly. Searching various related words (e.g. "mirror cover removal") hasn't been productive.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    You've got it right. Pry it open

Read last photo to first.
    Last edited by motoswami; 11-10-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just saying...
    Having had the same experience, I will say that you gave an excellent description of the patience required for this process. (I didn't have enough when I attempted it.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat