Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Water pump failed!!!

We it finally happend, after 6800 miles my 1st real problem. Coming home from Lake Geneva ,WI. my water pump failed. Had the bike flat bedded to Jim Potts in Woodstock and now we just will have to wait and see!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the problem. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, hope it is a quick fix.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmod View Post
    I had a small wet spot under the right side behind the fan when we stayed over in Wyoming on our way back from out west. It got down to 40 degrees that night and I just started and ran it and kept an eye on it. I think I have a cold water hose leak somewhere. It never leaked after that. I have 9200 miles on now.
    There's a screw clamp on the radiator hose that tends to need tightening from time to time. Mine was leaking too and it's been good since I gave it a couple of turns.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default water pump seals

Not to be a pessimist but... I had the loose clamp thing and tightened it after the first few hundred miles on my RT. All remained tight and dry for the next 7K. Then I noticed a trace amount of antifreeze and oil in the right-side splash pan. Enough finally built up that it dripped on the floor and got my attention. Clamp was still tight and dry, and wouldn't leak oil anyway. The outside of the clutch cover housing had some oil drips on it. Got a mirror in the perfect position and could see the weep hole for the water pump looked "dirty", like oil was seeping out of it. Cleaned everything thoroughly, rode several hundred miles and watched it reappear. Oil and antifreeze in the splash pan, oil residue on the clutch housing. Dealer confirmed it was the water pump shaft seals. Just got the RT back after three weeks in the shop for the job. Ridden it about 700 miles since and all is tight and dry. I don't know if it would have turned into something more severe if I hadn't caught it when I did. Needless to say, I'll always keep an eye on the splash pan to make sure it's dry.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Antifreeze leak

Lamont,

Where is the clamp ? What side do you have to take apart.

Thanks

GGo

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by soaring hawk View Post
    Lamont,

Where is the clamp ? What side do you have to take apart.

Thanks

GGo
    Right side rear of the radiator nothing to take a part.
    It's the only screw clamp on the water hoses.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep, 1st thing we checked was the clamp but when we fired it up anti-freeze poored out the weap hole. The manual says to replace both the water & oil shaft seals when replacing the impeller?
    Hope the dealer reads the book!! Will update when I find out what caused the water pump to fail.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Water and oil seals and the water pump shaft itself -- all must be replaced. Along with a few o-rings and the gasket for the clutch cover housing. Big job. My guess is BRP will make sure he gets everything he needs. There was no "cause" for my leakage -- the old parts didn't show any obvious reason for starting to leak. Just luck of the draw. If your dealer does come up with a reason, that would be interesting.

My clutch slave cylinder failed at the same time and there the dealer did find a "reason". There was a chunk missing out of one of the o-rings that you could feel with your finger. Apparently either pinched or slit on a sharp edge during assembly. Didn't find any smoking gun like that with the water pump seals.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Water Pump oil seal

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    Not to be a pessimist but... I had the loose clamp thing and tightened it after the first few hundred miles on my RT. All remained tight and dry for the next 7K. Then I noticed a trace amount of antifreeze and oil in the right-side splash pan. Enough finally built up that it dripped on the floor and got my attention. Clamp was still tight and dry, and wouldn't leak oil anyway. The outside of the clutch cover housing had some oil drips on it. Got a mirror in the perfect position and could see the weep hole for the water pump looked "dirty", like oil was seeping out of it. Cleaned everything thoroughly, rode several hundred miles and watched it reappear. Oil and antifreeze in the splash pan, oil residue on the clutch housing. Dealer confirmed it was the water pump shaft seals. Just got the RT back after three weeks in the shop for the job. Ridden it about 700 miles since and all is tight and dry. I don't know if it would have turned into something more severe if I hadn't caught it when I did. Needless to say, I'll always keep an eye on the splash pan to make sure it's dry.
    Caught mine dripping a little about 8,000 miles and the dealer figured out it was the seal and the parts were there in a week. 3 or 4 hours waiting and I was in business. 3 weeks sounds like a long time to be sitting around with no bike. Glad you got it fixed up ok.
    Tuck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well it looks like it's gonna be another week before the dealer gets the water pump in the RT finished. I'm tempted to have my selling dealer it pick up and finish the repair? just not cost effective since hes is 100+ miles away
    Guess I'll just have yo man up and wait.