Spyder Garage

Default Coming out of the Shadows - time to say Hello!

I've been here for about two months, but haven't yet introduced myself. I picked up a pre-owned Silver 2010 RT with 16K miles that I'm absolutely in love with, and have finally found a great hobby. I've put about 2K miles on the bike since I bought it (the bike is due back from my local dealer today - it needed a tune up, and I replaced the reflectors with lights and added a brake light on the back).

Interestingly enough, I didn't even know Spyders existed until a few days before I bought mine. I rode an ATV on a cruise ship excursion, and began the search for one that was street legal in CA. A full day's worth of calls and research later, a Vespa dealer mentioned one in passing, and when I checked out the website I knew I'd found what I didn't know I was looking for. After I got over the cost (I'd planned on about 5K for an ATV), and with my wife happy enough that I'd found some type of hobby to occupy me to stand behind the purchase, I took the dive rather quickly and snatched up what seemed to be a great deal on a bike that didn't look like it was often available used (having kept my eyes open since, I was smart to act quickly).

I live in Los Angeles (on the east side, in Silver Lake), and have been riding a lot in the Angeles National Forrest (besides using it day-to-day for getting around). I also spend about a quarter of my time in Santa Ynez, and bought a trailer to take it with me (thanks to whoever posted about the Drop-Tail Trailers). Riding up there is amazing, and my wife likes to join me (we did nearly 200 miles one day).

Without even posting, ScottyB reached out to me, and has been of a lot of help in figuring all of this out (thank you). His warning that my investment was just beginning, seems to have been true, but at this point I think I've got the major bases covered.

I work most weekends (I'm a photographer - you can check out what I do at http://studiomark.com), so I tend to ride early mornings (I prefer the cold to the heat) on weekdays (especially Mondays, since my business is dark that day), and I would love to find another rider or two on my side of the city who can also do weekday mornings in the Angeles National Forrest.

Those are the basics. Many thanks to all of you for creating this resource, which I've already made great use of.

Mark

Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to Spyderhood

And your intro is (hopefully) just the first of many posts. Your pics are awesome.. Sooo glad you are here and loving your RT.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard! And you got the fastest color too!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

and
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Welcome from a retired professional photographer. Your work is amazing.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE

Welcome Aboard, Let the Par'tay begin Mike....

Spyder Garage

Love the portraits pictures

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Enjoyed your entro...see some of my hobby photography in my albums....

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had a '09 GS for two years and love it! Just got back from the dealer today with my new Red RT-S. I was not able to find any used ones ether.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

and on your ........let the mods begin!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

MRH
    Nice write up, and I enjoyed looking at your photos. Very nice

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME!!!!!!

Welcome to the Family!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and on your spyder purchase. Welcome to the fdamily Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Guess what... We are going to except great pictures of spyders!
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.

It would seem that I now need to ask for your help. As I mentioned, my RT was in for maintenance and to add some Custom Dynamics lighting, and due back today. Well, I took it out tonight and after about twenty minutes I discovered new issues. A Check DPS warning, a flashing engine light, and that squiggly thing warning light. I assumed that it was bad breaking (I'd done that when I first got the bike - and assumed that a sensitivity may have changed if there was an update). Despite careful riding, I got it twice more, both after riding it about 15 mins (give or take), this time flashing limp mode, but only once or so - it didn't seem to stick, although the warning lights did. I am running six small and one large LED light and have checked the boards to find that this can be caused by electrical sensitivity. The Spyder also felt a bit different (slippery?) on the corners, but that may be in my head. In general, it feels a bit smoother after the service - except for this, of course.

Of course, my dealer is closed until Tuesday, and I'd like to see if I can address this myself. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Here's a follow-up. I did some more research, and found out how to check the fault code (this was checked about an hour after I finished riding, should that be relevant). It's a P0504, which does seem to be the brake pedal issue - but I haven't seen that since I first got the bike, and I don't think I'm riding it differently today than on any other day.

Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

and !!!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Photos

I liked your site and look forward to some awesome spyder pics. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I've been here for about two months, but haven't yet introduced myself. I picked up a pre-owned Silver 2010 RT with 16K miles that I'm absolutely in love with, and have finally found a great hobby. I've put about 2K miles on the bike since I bought it (the bike is due back from my local dealer today - it needed a tune up, and I replaced the reflectors with lights and added a brake light on the back).

Interestingly enough, I didn't even know Spyders existed until a few days before I bought mine. I rode an ATV on a cruise ship excursion, and began the search for one that was street legal in CA. A full day's worth of calls and research later, a Vespa dealer mentioned one in passing, and when I checked out the website I knew I'd found what I didn't know I was looking for. After I got over the cost (I'd planned on about 5K for an ATV), and with my wife happy enough that I'd found some type of hobby to occupy me to stand behind the purchase, I took the dive rather quickly and snatched up what seemed to be a great deal on a bike that didn't look like it was often available used (having kept my eyes open since, I was smart to act quickly).

I live in Los Angeles (on the east side, in Silver Lake), and have been riding a lot in the Angeles National Forrest (besides using it day-to-day for getting around). I also spend about a quarter of my time in Santa Ynez, and bought a trailer to take it with me (thanks to whoever posted about the Drop-Tail Trailers). Riding up there is amazing, and my wife likes to join me (we did nearly 200 miles one day).

Without even posting, ScottyB reached out to me, and has been of a lot of help in figuring all of this out (thank you). His warning that my investment was just beginning, seems to have been true, but at this point I think I've got the major bases covered.

I work most weekends (I'm a photographer - you can check out what I do at http://studiomark.com), so I tend to ride early mornings (I prefer the cold to the heat) on weekdays (especially Mondays, since my business is dark that day), and I would love to find another rider or two on my side of the city who can also do weekday mornings in the Angeles National Forrest.

Those are the basics. Many thanks to all of you for creating this resource, which I've already made great use of.

Mark

Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

I know you will love the Spyder just take your time and learn how to ride it.
    The forum has been a welth of knowledege and has taught me to be patient with the.
    Gary

Spyder Garage

congradulations
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations

Congratulations and welcome to the family. There is a wealth of knowledge and so many great fellow Spyder riders on this site. Hope the dealer is helpful solving your issues quickly.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again. I moved my trouble issues to a new thread; this probably wasn't the most effective place to post them.

FOLLOW UP:
    Issue generally solved, with help from several of you. Thank you.
    Last edited by MRH; 06-25-2012 at 01:30 AM.