GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default When ryding with non spyders... how do they treat you?

I was just curious to see how others are treated when ryding with others who are not on a . I know for me, it took a bit of time before I earned the respect of our HD group, but when one of the "veteran riders" said to me "You kept up with, and rode very well with us.", it made my day! Ryde Safe!!!

Spyder Garage

The groups we have rode with have accepted us as fellow riders. We did not have to "earn" any respect or points to be accepted. If I had vibes we were not accepted, I would be out of there. Picture from last Saturday ride with the Gold Wing Riders. 7 GW's, 1 HD, 1 other Honda, and 2 Spyders

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll ride with anybody on less than 4 wheels... Most of my riding buddies just ain't too fussy either!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've always had the idea that it isn't what you ride, it's that you ride, and I have to be like everybody else in the group, I'll find another group.

john

Spyder Garage

We've riden with as many as 500 bikes at one time and have had very little bad feedback. What we do get we ignore.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I have ridden with several groups, Dealer rides, Smoke Eaters, Spyders, 200 mile Burger Runners, fund raisers, and memorial rides. I have never recieved a direct, rude comment about the Spyder. Although, I have overheard several ignorant remarks, specifically by 'hardcore' harley riders, but 99% of everyone I have ridden with have never had a bad thing to say.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

REALLY WHO CARES, The fact is that YOU ARE RIDING. Let them think what they want and if you choose do a burnout, usually SHUTS THEM UP.

Spyder Garage

I have been on a few Charity rides, one was with the NZ Triumph Owners Poker Run, 180 other bikes, all types,there were 10 Spyders in total and we were treated just like everyone else, accept more people talked to us about our Spyders than the bikes lol. At the end of the day a lot of other riders came and commented how well the Spyder looked to handle on the road etc... and the fact that they couldn't shake us when trying to outrun us lol.
    Had some of the usual cheeky stuff, but nothing really negative, like others have said and also my philosophy is, "I don't care what you ride as long as you are riding".
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    REALLY WHO CARES, The fact is that YOU ARE RIDING. Let them think what they want and if you choose do a burnout, usually SHUTS THEM UP.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Our group is a mix of GWRRA, HOG, Spyders and Nomad. We group ride all the time and we love the attention the Spyders garner.

Some one said they would ride with anyone , that it is not what you ride but that you ride. We try very hard to only ride with people who have taken some sort of MSF course. Other than that we are not bike specific.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Taking it all in styde!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    I was just curious to see how others are treated when ryding with others who are not on a . I know for me, it took a bit of time before I earned the respect of our HD group, but when one of the "veteran riders" said to me "You kept up with, and rode very well with us.", it made my day! Ryde Safe!!!
    There is a great group of riders in northern CA that we have been riding with for about 6 weeks, so as long as I have had my Spyder. We have already gone on several trips with them and I love the fact that there are bikes/trikes of all different flavors. I even got to ride with another Spyder owner a couple of weeks ago on a trip to Tahoe. Here is a photo of a nice evening ride after work last night. A bunch of us went to dinner on the Delta. You can't see all of the bikes, (I didn't take this photo), but you can see my green machine at the very end of the group of bikes. I have had one or two women ask me, "why don't you ride a two-wheeler?" ...one of them happened to drop her bike on the very same day she asked me that question, and one guy asked me if I was riding a snowmobile. My answer was simply, "yes". He didn't have a word to say after that Thankfully, the majority of the people I ride with are happy to ride...PERIOD. They are patient that I cannot split lanes, and I have really enjoyed their company. The trick is to find a group or a few others that you enjoy being around, ride safely, and treat people with respect...it doesn't get any better than that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I rode with about 80 bikes and one RT-LT last Saturday. The only comment I got was how bad the Spyder handles on the bad roads. The road was not level and leaned to the left then right every few hundred feet. They were right I was taking a beating to trying to keep it straight. My wife even complained about the ride. I had a hard time keeping up with the HD in front of me many times. The low end torque on thoses things is crazy.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

No real issues with fellow riders since we're all neighbors and buddies BUT....they aren't overly happy when we pull in to wherever we're going and people gravitate toward the Spyder and NOT their high end HDs. There's just way too many HDs out there now, the exclusive days are over. Any show or bike night you go to is littered with zillions of HDs. People are more interested in the different or unique stuff.

Spyder Garage

Harley guys in central valley Ca. are inquisitive. The only request is stay in the group and don't brake your Spyder hard because they don't stop as fast. Fair amount of Ultraglide riders ask a lot of questions.

I get the snow mobile comment once in awhile. I answer with "Of course... It's ski-doo man...coupled to the can am bikes of the 60s and 70s. The look is expected, and I don't protest the storage, comfort, or the speed.".

They accept that. I think they welcome those that understand our bike/trike is unique, and isn't trying to be anything else....and I don't know about you, but I prefer it that way.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Must be OK cause

They keep inviting me back.. first couple times they were a little cautious but I think it had more to do with my age and gender. Have been told I ride like a guy .. I took that as a neck of a compliment ..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I have no problem at all, but then I've known my riding friends for as long as three motorcycles and two wives.

The Spyder is just another new bike to them.

Strangers ask questions.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I along with a number of other Spyder riders belong to a local chapter of Southern Cruisers, an all bike international motorcycle riding club. Just about every model of bike is represented in the club. Great club with chapters all over the country and the world.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

My wife actually got whistled at and some other good comments when stopped. Definitely draws a curious crowd.

"Tigger" 2011 RS-S Alloy Orange/Matte Black (hers)
    "Hammer Head" 2012 RoadGlide Custom (his)

Spyder Garage

The few group rides I've been on since going from two to three wheels I've been received quite well. From time top time there's the sneering comment, but very rarely. I also ride with the Patriot Guard (also rode with them when I still had my V Star 1300) and have had not problems with people.

And we always get a lot of curiosity and interest from people.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

chickridin

We don't ride with any groups. Our local HD dealer closed about 3 years ago so we don't belong to a HOG club any longer. We just ride with our friends. Only one of them don't like my Spyder, but he doesn't put it down either. I've only had one bad encounter so far, but I walked away from him.....only so I wouldn't punch him.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I rode with about 80 bikes and one RT-LT last Saturday. The only comment I got was how bad the Spyder handles on the bad roads. The road was not level and leaned to the left then right every few hundred feet. They were right I was taking a beating to trying to keep it straight. My wife even complained about the ride. I had a hard time keeping up with the HD in front of me many times. The low end torque on thoses things is crazy.
    Wow, I've noticed the same thing. On 2 wheels, all you contend with is what is right in your path. Maybe a dip. But on the 3 wheels, there is allot of side to side motion on most roads that are not perfectly flat. I really noticed this on roads with a crown. I'm new to a Spyder, and not yet ridden with a larger group, so I don't yet know how we will fare. But, I believe on the twisties, I may fall back if riding 2 up, as my wife feels car sick on the back of the Spyder. I just started a post on that issue, as it is a concern, since I love riding with her on some nice tours, and want her to enjoy herself without feeling ill.

Back on subject, so far the Spyder is a source of "cool ride", "nice", etc. I don't know what they are really thinking, but really don't care much either.

Spyder Garage

Mainly I get curious folks who want to know how it handles and how much it costs. In group rides I get a few smug folks who aren't convinced this is a motorcycle until we hit the rode and then their attitude changes. As I said in my other post about Motorcycle Discrimination, it doesn't matter what you ride, just ride. Those hardcore ones who doubt you or put you down just challenge them to a little drag race and see who wins.. Fencepost did that one day when we were out on the open road and he was very impressed.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't ride with Spyders,
    The owners tend to have a inferiority complex, And have to race everyone, weather or not they tell the other guy they're actually racing them.