Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Juice Box Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    If there is an overrule rev limiter mod, I want it!

I went and looked at the instructions that came with the controller and here is a direct quote off the instructions:

Won’t interfere with bike’s stock sensors
    and inputs.
    The controller that i have is the regular Juice Box, It only has the mode buttons to make adjust, unlike the pro which you can connect a computer to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    I went and looked at the instructions that came with the controller and here is a direct quote off the instructions:

Won’t interfere with bike’s stock sensors
    and inputs.
    The controller that i have is the regular Juice Box, It only has the mode buttons to make adjust, unlike the pro which you can connect a computer to.
    OK, that sounds pretty normal. If I may............................... Time to reach out to the higher ups at BRP.

Word of advice...

Please write down (Keep track) of every form of communication you make with BRP and your dealer (If you are not already and I over looked that point). Even the unanswered ones. Just trust me on this... If things go ugly (I do not believe they will) this while keeping your cool goes a long way to get what you both want. A happy owner, and a Company known for taking care of business for the right reasons, the right way...

At this time, with the very limited amounts of information we have from their side, and not standing there to hear every word you are hearing... It seems someone is not quite understanding this situation... Just my instinct on this at the moment...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No Response From BRP

Well it's been a month since i wrote a letter to BRP. They have not responded back to me, Does anybody think this is good customer service ? The amount of money we pay for these bikes, BRP should bend over backwards to take care of the customer. It seems they lack consistency from one customer to another. five and half months no bike !!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did you ever get the RPM history chart from your dealer? You really should have received a fulls BUDS report from them. There are two locations on the BUDS to show RPM, the chart as posted above, and then there is another page that shows "maximums".

I would be very interested to see if the 11k is a constant event, showing on the chart, or if it was a one time hit listed on the maximum line. Sounds to me like you think it was probably once or twice. An occasional rev up to the middle of the redline would not cause an "overheat".

The BUDS will also show max temp.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's what i forgot to get from my dealer, But he did tell me that it was just an instants where it did hit and it could have been where i missed a gear. He is not buying what they are saying. I will get a copy from him this week.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Ask service for a copy of the BUDS RPM report:

I got B.U.D.S. Report, But i don't see where i went over 11k RPM. I couldn't up load it, I guess i was doing something wrong but this is what was on it : 0-1999 (18.75%) 2000-3999 (26.04%) 4000-5999 (44.82 %) 6000-7999 (10.29 %) 8000-9999 (0.09%) 10000+ (0%).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There is another page that has one line listed as "maximums". Mine had a max at 8829 but it showed 0% in the 8000-9999 range on the chart.

Is this report what your dealer sent to BRP or did he do some sort of data transfer to them?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoford View Post
    There is another page that has one line listed as "maximums". Mine had a max at 8829 but it showed 0% in the 8000-9999 range on the chart.

Is this report what your dealer sent to BRP or did he do some sort of data transfer to them?
    OK, I see the page you're talking about, It does show 11008 RPM. Also it has low system voltage. That night when it happened i remember it was dragging on start up and right before it locked down,The lights were flashing on the screen. My dealer said he sent them a electronic copy to them. If the voltage is low, Could that cause false readings ?

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Charging Concern

OK, I see the page you're talking about, It does show 11008 RPM. Also it has low system voltage. That night when it happened i remember it was dragging on start up and right before it locked down,The lights were flashing on the screen. My dealer said he sent them a electronic copy to them. If the voltage is low, Could that cause false readings ?

Question-1: If BRP has a RPM limiter installed to prevent high rpms & possible damage to their product (the very reason for the limiter), then HOW did their BUDS system record such a high rpm if their limiter was working & correctly & was properly set?

Question-2: Why was there a "low voltage" recording @ 11k rpms? At 11k rpms (well above the 4k necessary to record a "positive charging" status of the electrical system) there should be zero recordings of a "low voltage" fault unless there is a problem.

More questions than answers at this point....lets hear what BRP has to say. I would not like to think that riding above 4k rpms was insufficient to charge my battery and leave me stranded!

Does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling of "confidence" that my ride will NOT leave me unable to start it after stopping.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Question-1: If BRP has a RPM limiter installed to prevent high rpms & possible damage to their product (the very reason for the limiter), then HOW did their BUDS system record such a high rpm if their limiter was working & correctly & was properly set?

Question-2: Why was there a "low voltage" recording @ 11k rpms? At 11k rpms (well above the 4k necessary to record a "positive charging" status of the electrical system) there should be zero recordings of a "low voltage" fault unless there is a problem.

More questions than answers at this point....lets hear what BRP has to say. I would not like to think that riding above 4k rpms was insufficient to charge my battery and leave me stranded!

Does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling of "confidence" that my ride will NOT leave me unable to start it after stopping.....

I asked my dealer about the RPM @ 11K, This what he explain to me. The bike would have to be revved up and you come off the clutch, it could hit 11k for an instance. The other way is to miss a gear and it shoots up to 11k. According to him there is no other way for it to get 11k RPM. I also asked him about low voltage and he said anything could happen different codes, etc... Apparently BRP can see more from B.U.D.S. than the dealers because there is no way to tell when 11k occurred or when bike overheated .

Spyder Garage

Default Overfuelling a Spyder Engine Will Cool It, Overfuelling a Diesel Engine Will Cook It

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    ..I work at a Dodge dealership and have seen over fueling issues with controllers on the Cummins Diesels...
    Just in case someone misunderstands your comment...

I'm sure you weren't suggesting that the problem was caused in this case by "overfuelling" even though there was a JuiceBox fitted.

For those who aren't aware, overfuelling a petrol engine results in a richer mixture which cools the engine/cylinder head.

The reverse applies for a diesel engine, where "overfuelling " (which would be used to increase power) results in increased cylinder and exhaust temperatures and will consequently lead to engine failure if taken too far.

Spyder Garage

I asked my dealer about the RPM @ 11K, .... Apparently BRP can see more from B.U.D.S. than the dealers because there is no way to tell when 11k occurred or when bike overheated .
    This has been going on for way too long.

If the matter has not yet been resolved you will need to apply pressure to the dealer, if BRP won't deal with you.

Everyone is stalling for time. The longer they can play it out the less likely you are to cost either of them any money.

Shame. All the best.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Overfueling ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Just in case someone misunderstands your comment...

I'm sure you weren't suggesting that the problem was caused in this case by "overfuelling" even though there was a JuiceBox fitted.

For those who aren't aware, overfuelling a petrol engine results in a richer mixture which cools the engine/cylinder head.

The reverse applies for a diesel engine, where "overfuelling " (which would be used to increase power) results in increased cylinder and exhaust temperatures and will consequently lead to engine failure if taken too far.

So if I'm understanding you, The Juicebox would not cause the Spyder to overheat if it was over-fueled ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's correct. Richening up the mix does help to cool the intake charge, and thus; the top-end.
    But... Having the JuiceBox gives BRP something to hang their hats on...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Seems to me the dealer should tear into the engine and find the problem first. Engine tranny crank top end etc. Having worked many years in the bike industry we always started there then if needed they sent a tech to check and confirm. Changed several GSX-R engines due to the line bores for the cranks were off and pistons hit the cylinder heads. Push them to find the problem. Then work on coverage.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Don't let your dealer get away with doing nothing

So if I'm understanding you, The Juicebox would not cause the Spyder to overheat if it was over-fueled ?
    Correct.

You are being stalled until you give up.

Work 'em hard, man! What's taking so long?

Your dealer is giving you the runaround big-time, I'm sorry to say.

Their action is completely inexcusable. They are no longer your friends, but you must not say that to them. Just start demanding answers and action in a friendly way. Keep calling and dropping in. Go through some of the details when there are other customers in sight, but without raising your voice or getting angry.

Call other dealers and see if they are willing to work on it for you. Find someone with some technical competence who can go with you to the dealer and get all the information - the information you have given is very patchy and suggests that you are out of your depth in dealing with this issue, as most Spyder owners porobably would be.

I get the feeling that you don't have the ready cash to do some of these things like calling a lawyer, so that means you just have to work harder in other areas. Don't threaten, but do your homework.

Isn't there a consumer organisation in the US that helps people get things done?

All the best.
    Last edited by Trevor G; 01-06-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Correct.

You are being stalled until you give up.

Work 'em hard, man! What's taking so long?

Your dealer is giving you the runaround big-time, I'm sorry to say.

Their action is completely inexcusable. They are no longer your friends, but you must not say that to them. Just start demanding answers and action in a friendly way. Keep calling and dropping in. Go through some of the details when there are other customers in sight, but without raising your voice or getting angry.

Call other dealers and see if they are willing to work on it for you. Find someone with some technical competence who can go with you to the dealer and get all the information - the information you have given is very patchy and suggests that you are out of your depth in dealing with this issue, as most Spyder owners porobably would be.

I get the feeling that you don't have the ready cash to do some of these things like calling a lawyer, so that means you just have to work harder in other areas. Don't threaten, but do your homework.

Isn't there a consumer organisation in the US that helps people get things done?

All the best.
    I have tried over and over to work with BRP but they have refused to cover damages under warranty. My dealer has tried also with no luck. I cannot go in to details but, Lets just say it's a long way from being over.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Seems to me the dealer should tear into the engine and find the problem first. Engine tranny crank top end etc. Having worked many years in the bike industry we always started there then if needed they sent a tech to check and confirm. Changed several GSX-R engines due to the line bores for the cranks were off and pistons hit the cylinder heads. Push them to find the problem. Then work on coverage.

That has already been done, Dealer found broken bolt on the connecting rod. But they couldn't determine what exactly caused the engine to lock down, But it wasn't the fuel controller. BRP is saying that i over revved at 11k rpms.

Spyder Garage

... BRP is saying that i over revved at 11k rpms.
    Then, BRP's own internal rev limiter is at fault!
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless it was a missed shift that pegged it up that high...
    But I believe that this has also been addressed in here.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Then, BRP's own internal rev limiter is at fault!
    I agree, if it went over the limit, then it was mechanical failure.