Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Time to put this post to bed, seem you are still trying to find some to agree with you on this, paint ,decal, or light bulbs, apples or oranges, suck,it up either get a lawyer and fight it out or fix it crying time is over this horse,is dead.
    Last edited by texasride; 06-25-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've jumped the shark once again...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I think most of you miss the point here. The owners manual tells you any mod that is not approved of by BRP will void the warranty. If BRP ask the dealer should the dealer lye to BRP on your behalf I don't think so thay have a reputation to up hold and not just to the customer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPawPaw View Post
    I think most of you miss the point here. The owners manual tells you any mod that is not approved of by BRP will void the warranty. If BRP ask the dealer should the dealer lye to BRP on your behalf I don't think so thay have a reputation to up hold and not just to the customer.
    I don't recall that exact wording in the manual, but no matter what it says, the cannot violate the provisons of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the US. That says that the entire warranty cannot be voided by a modification, and that the warranty remains in effect unless the modification can be shown to have caused or contributed to the specific failure. Even then, only any non-related failures have to be covered. Don't let strongarm tactics of the manufacturers and dealers keep you from making proven and prudent modifications.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by texasride View Post
    Why do some folks think that they can expect anY manf, to cover a break down after they put any part or mod on their product, when under warrant conditions it statesmitmwil not be cover if altered or mod. It is not,up,to,the factory or dealer to prove the mod did,or not cause the problem, sure u can fight,them in court, but at,what cost, if u mod or,add things,learn to,live with your actions.
    Incorrect. We have laws in the USA to protect us from this.

They CANNOT just void your warranty for doing a mod.

There MUST be cause and effect......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Being the Devils Advocate, I would think when you Illegally Modified a Spyder; ie Tampering with an emission device, Removing the cat' O2 mod. etc, The dealer and or BRP can refuse to work on that Spyder . And I'm sure BRP's lawyers would 'if push came to shove also point out that the finds for tampering reach into the ten's of thousands. Just saying.
    Incorrect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Everyone can have a lot of suggestions as to what you should or shouldn't do, but the facts still stand...you had a modification done to your Spyder and almost every manufacturer of autos or motorcycles will void any and all warranties if mods are done to their product. Sure, we can all insist that each case should be taken individually, but that would be very time consuming and would result in tying up the small claims courts to no end...So the reason for the blanket coverall...any mod to the product voids the warranty...Period.
    You can go ahead and hire a lawyer, but I think you will lose. The dealer may have installed the mods you had done, but that doesn't put them on any blame...you wanted it done, they did it, and you paid them.
    And if you read through all the papers you got from BRP when you purchased the Spyder you will probably see a written their disclaimer if the Spyder is modified.
    Sorry Dudley... but you're incorrect on this. They legally CANNOT just 'void' your warranty because you did mods. Wouldn't matter if they did have some disclaimer you signed. Such agreements are null and void in the USA.

Spyder Garage

Wow... don't know how I missed this entire thread.

1. BRP cannot just void your entire warranty for a mod.
    2. Removing suspect mods prior to getting work done is a good idea.
    3. hackett43 is being railroaded here.
    4. Having a good relationship with your dealer will help under such situations.

Some of the other comments and the problems others may be having are not really helping hackett43 on this issue. The guy who paid for his transmission after they blamed it on one of his mods was also railroaded.

People, you need to stand up for your rights.. and know what they are. Much good advice has been given here. I had tons of mods done to my Spyder.. and I would go full-court press on BRP on this one. Electronic mods would be the biggest gray area on the Spyder... and I understand that many such mods could make the Spyder go nuts.... but a fuel computer causing engine to seize up? Nope.

hackett43 -- don't let them get away with this.... You need to have an independent party determine the cause of the failure. BRP and the dealer already have a pre-determined opinion about what happened... which is totally unfair.
    Last edited by Firefly; 07-30-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Could not resist

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So how much tire pressure should I be running up front?
    What oil is the best one to use with the lowest possible octane?
    My feet hurt; can I sue BRP for that?

Answers to the above::
    Pressure should be sufficient enough to keep the rim from damaging the roadway

Virgin Olive Oil has worked very well in the past
    Probably not, but if you broke a nail while ranting about them, "You might have a legg to stand on" or maybe they would.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Bob, are you hiding that in your back yard?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Spyder Garage

First of all, they, BRP can do what they want to. Question is do you have the bucks to fight them? Any lawyer will take your $10,000 to start a lawsuit. Or you can just pay to have engine rebuilt and get new warranty.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    First of all, they, BRP can do what they want to. Question is do you have the bucks to fight them? Any lawyer will take your $10,000 to start a lawsuit. Or you can just pay to have engine rebuilt and get new warranty.

Not so fast.....

One of the reason we have laws are to prevent people or corporations (yes they are legally "people" too) from doing whatever they want to. True it may cost you money to fight them, BUT it will cost them way more if they loose. A corporation could face a liteny of "legal fees, fines and courtroom costs" which would exceed the amount of repair(s). As a point of fact, look at all the recalls the auto industry has made over the years. These recalls are not limited to just US Automakers either and cost them millions to due so - cheaper than litigation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    You don't need a lawyer at all to invoke your MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

http://autos.aol.com/article/warrant...rmarket-parts/

"Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

The Original Poster just needs to print a copy of the act out and go confront the dealer and BRP. Them saying you voided the warranty and refusing to work on it to determine the actual cause of damage is ILLEGAL.

I would also contact 2 brothers and tell them what is going on. They have dealt with this before I'm sure and will have some good pointers on how to proceed. They can provide technical information on how their system works and what it *could* have done and what it *could not* have done pertaining to damage.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Some of the other comments and the problems others may be having are not really helping hackett43 on this issue. The guy who paid for his transmission after they blamed it on one of his mods was also railroaded.

People, you need to stand up for your rights.. and know what they are. Much good advice has been given here. I had tons of mods done to my Spyder.. and I would go full-court press on BRP on this one. Electronic mods would be the biggest gray area on the Spyder... and I understand that many such mods could make the Spyder go nuts.... but a fuel computer causing engine to seize up? Nope.

hackett43 -- don't let them get away with this.... You need to have an independent party determine the cause of the failure. BRP and the dealer already have a pre-determined opinion about what happened... which is totally unfair.
    Hello to all, I haven't been on here in a while. I can't say anything right now but i should have an update on my Spyder in about 2 weeks. Thanks to all for good and bad feedback.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    Hello to all, I haven't been on here in a while. I can't say anything right now but i should have an update on my Spyder in about 2 weeks. Thanks to all for good and bad feedback.
    Give em' hell !

spydee owner

Default Engine locked

People on this forum generally like the spyder,however, it seems there are those who would like to see the company fail,or have to increase unit cost due to litigation.
    People are quick to start talking litigation against BRP, but never talk about litigation against the companies supplying the aftermarket parts.
    Why shouldn't these companies be required to prove their products are not the problem?
    BRP has spent millions in development and testing, and have been upfront about using after market parts, yet people install products that do not have a fraction of the testing that the spyder manufacturer has done. But when something goes wrong, it's sue time against BRP.
    Litigation is what put the screws to small aircraft manufacturers in the '60s and '70s.
    Some should listen to weird Al's song "Sue ya".

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    People on this forum generally like the spyder,however, it seems there are those who would like to see the company fail,or have to increase unit cost due to litigation.
    People are quick to start talking litigation against BRP, but never talk about litigation against the companies supplying the aftermarket parts.
    Why shouldn't these companies be required to prove their products are not the problem?
    BRP has spent millions in development and testing, and have been upfront about using after market parts, yet people install products that do not have a fraction of the testing that the spyder manufacturer has done. But when something goes wrong, it's sue time against BRP.
    Litigation is what put the screws to small aircraft manufacturers in the '60s and '70s.
    Some should listen to weird Al's song "Sue ya".
    Good song.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Bob...

Which of our sponsor vendors are selling that "WWI Vickers-style mod?" I'd like to get the complete package. Should fit on an RT, right?
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Wow, not sure how I missed this either.... I bet Doc doesnt agree with this....
    and, "suspect mods" are ....?

spydee owner

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Good song.
    Stuck in the drive thru is also a good weird Al song

Spyder Garage

Give em' hell !
    + 1,000!

In Durango, SHE told me Spydee's poor performance was due to shifting at low RPMs. Not the arcing front spark plug wire.

Have dual Two Bros installed by the dealership before I bought it (demo), added a JB, and a K&N. Sound familiar???

Have over 31k now and she's running great now! Tan spark plugs...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

You don't need a lawyer at all to invoke your MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

http://autos.aol.com/article/warrant...rmarket-parts/

"Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

The Original Poster just needs to print a copy of the act out and go confront the dealer and BRP. Them saying you voided the warranty and refusing to work on it to determine the actual cause of damage is ILLEGAL.

I would also contact 2 brothers and tell them what is going on. They have dealt with this before I'm sure and will have some good pointers on how to proceed. They can provide technical information on how their system works and what it *could* have done and what it *could not* have done pertaining to damage.
    I agree. People should know their rights, and push the issue if they are able. I hope OP gets his back up and running.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    Stuck in the drive thru is also a good weird Al song
    Actually one of my least favorite. Been a fan ever since I first heard Lasagna as a kid in the early 80s.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Being the Devils Advocate, I would think when you Illegally Modified a Spyder; ie Tampering with an emission device, Removing the cat' O2 mod. etc, The dealer and or BRP can refuse to work on that Spyder . And I'm sure BRP's lawyers would 'if push came to shove also point out that the finds for tampering reach into the ten's of thousands. Just saying.
    Doesn't work here his bike was made before the laws went into effect anything made after 2010 you may run into issues but noting before that. look it up.

I have not looked at all the post here but one thing that keeps coming up is his 1st post being a complaint. About this time last year many of the same poster where on our back because a bud had just shelled out 30 grand and his scoot was out for 4 months. This was the guy who was said to be a troll and a few real nice names even the admin got it the act. No one of you said sorry later when his bike was used by BRP to work a SW issue out that allowed you all to get a needed update to prevent the same problems!

This is a good place for us all for ideas and feed back if it were not for the Shark Fest from last year I would rate this place as great. We have many lurkers who for what ever reason dont come forward til after the fact that does not make them problems so lets treat each other right

As for the one who says a dealer can say the guy had a crack in his TB and have the problem fixed. 1) that is Fraud 2) on any major repair like this The company will want to see it I worked for my dealer for many years. They can repair anything up to 500 after that the company has to make the decision

Can Am can be hard to work with at times but they will step up to the plate faster and better than most

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    Doesn't work here his bike was made before the laws went into effect anything made after 2010 you may run into issues but noting before that. look it up.
    Tamping with an Emission Device was illegal long before [years] 2010.