Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    It is not up to the manufacturer/dealer to figure this out for the guy. He must ante up with a promise to pay if they determine his MODS caused the problem or may have caused the problem. Only if it is clearly the manufacturer's fault, should they pay. Also, this sounds like an expensive repair, so I am leaving the dealer free of all liability on this one. Didn't buy it there; they didn't do the MODS; they need to get paid by someone (customer or manufacturer).

I think I have seen other people post on this FORUM they would not contemplate major MODS before the warranty runs out. Technically, any MODS might violate the agreement with the manufacturer. So he is behind the 8-ball to begin with based upon what he signed. The one fact no one is disputing is: he made MODS that affected the mechanical operation of his Spyder. That is not adding L.E.D.s to your Spyder.

P.S. If they can agree on doing the diagnosis with the customer paying the costs if the MODS may have contributed to his problem, I would get him to pay the estimate upfront. Just remember, my words are "may have contributed to his problem". They do not have to prove beyond a doubt his MODS didn't cause the problem - they are not responsible for figuring that out for him. He has to make his own case. He made the MODS not them.

..I work at a Dodge
    dealership and have seen over fueling issues with controllers on the Cummins Diesels...Causes pistons to seize and cause all sorts of damage..Believe me,the manufacturer can decline warranty..But,it need dis-assembled first at customers possible expense as so eloquently stated above..
    So during your time at dodge, When you had seized pistons, Did they have metal in the oil and botton end damage ? So what is a major mod ? First of as i have stated before i am not a mechanic, But to me a major mod would be making changes to internal components. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    So during your time at dodge, When you had seized pistons, Did they have metal in the oil and botton end damage ? So what is a major mod ? First of as i have stated before i am not a mechanic, But to me a major mod would be making changes to internal components. please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Yes anything is possible if the motor leaned out burnt a piston then stuck to the cylinder or stuck a valve open and the other cylinder was still pushing it then all kinds of parts. could have broke from con rods to gears in the tranny , bottom line here is you have a broke Spyder that needs fixed no one is going to be able to fix it with a computer key board buck up take it apart take a lot of pic's then fight your fight if you have an argument you said you still want a Spyder so if a whole motor is 8000 then you can find a good running used one close to that and part out yours you may get lucky and find just a scuffed. Cylinder and a small rebuild will have you on the road , you lite bulb argument doesnt hold water because there is A fuse to protect the electrical system this. Fuel controler is a china build computer chip that fools with the factory brain to change fuel mapping you seem to be enjoying the brp bashing here just take it apart and move on you are making everything look worse than it may really be fuel modifiers are chips car motorcycles and computer chips all crash sometimemes

Spyder Garage

Default Overfuelling a Spyder Engine Will Cool It, Overfuelling a Diesel Engine Will Cook It

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    ..I work at a Dodge dealership and have seen over fueling issues with controllers on the Cummins Diesels...
    Just in case someone misunderstands your comment...

I'm sure you weren't suggesting that the problem was caused in this case by "overfuelling" even though there was a JuiceBox fitted.

For those who aren't aware, overfuelling a petrol engine results in a richer mixture which cools the engine/cylinder head.

The reverse applies for a diesel engine, where "overfuelling " (which would be used to increase power) results in increased cylinder and exhaust temperatures and will consequently lead to engine failure if taken too far.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Overfueling ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Just in case someone misunderstands your comment...

I'm sure you weren't suggesting that the problem was caused in this case by "overfuelling" even though there was a JuiceBox fitted.

For those who aren't aware, overfuelling a petrol engine results in a richer mixture which cools the engine/cylinder head.

The reverse applies for a diesel engine, where "overfuelling " (which would be used to increase power) results in increased cylinder and exhaust temperatures and will consequently lead to engine failure if taken too far.

So if I'm understanding you, The Juicebox would not cause the Spyder to overheat if it was over-fueled ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    Hello to all, This is my first post on here but i have been following this site for 2 yrs. I have a 2009 spyder that i purchased new in 2010. The first weekend in May i was headed home from a bike show, about a half mile from were the show took place i was riding along doing around 50mph. and all of a sudden i heard a rattling noise from the engine and before i could pull over the back tire locked down. I called some friends and they came with my trailer, We had a hard time getting it out of gear. I took to the dealer on the following Monday. When they tried to get approval they asked did it have a fuel controller on it, He told them that he was not sure because he had'nt removed any covers accept the oil cover. well to shorten this story up, When BRP found out that i had a fuel controller on it they told the dealer that it would'nt be covered under warranty because my bike had been modified. So i called them myself and they told me the same thing, I aked him (Alex ) how can they not cover it under warranty when it had not been determined what caused the engine to lock down. He said that it had been modified and BRP stands behind there decision, I asked him if it was a faulty oil pump would it still not be covered ? He still said it would'nt be covered. Right now i am pissed ! Now i have a bike with 8k miles with a locked engine that BRP want cover under warranty. Has this happen to any one else ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The first thing out of BRP is no! even if it is their fault. they save a lot of warranty cost because their is a lot of people that don't push it, you need to take this all the way. good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dealer should have looked at the problem and determined the cause before asking BRP if it would be covered, with the customers explicit understanding that if the mods caused the issue they would be responsible for all labor and parts charges. The dealer didn't have to tell BRP about the mods at all IMO until/unless they were determined to be the cause of failure. At which point the customer should be responsible for the repairs.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem when my spyder caught fire the first year and my transmission went bad they would not cover it because i had mods. I paid for a transmission rebuild and the automatic transmission stills has problems must be my crazy riding style or my body weight on the transmission making it stay in gear and sometimes not shifting...lol. I have almost 70000 miles and affair to ride anymore because i know the engine is next to go. Yes i am complaining so no need to here anyone's smart comments...and thanks for listing.

Spyder Garage

Metal shavings. In the oil is caused by not enough oil where it needs to be. A small amount is normal if the trans and the rest of the bottom end share the same oil, on my vrod anyway. A lean condition, that causes a motor to lock up, is pretty easy to figure out, pull the plugs and look at them. If they are still intact, electrodes look good, I would be very surprised if it was the fuel controller that caused the problem. Just my 2 cents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm no mechanic; more of an "antimechanic" I think, but still...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    People on this forum generally like the spyder,however, it seems there are those who would like to see the company fail,or have to increase unit cost due to litigation.
    People are quick to start talking litigation against BRP, but never talk about litigation against the companies supplying the aftermarket parts.
    Why shouldn't these companies be required to prove their products are not the problem?
    BRP has spent millions in development and testing, and have been upfront about using after market parts, yet people install products that do not have a fraction of the testing that the spyder manufacturer has done. But when something goes wrong, it's sue time against BRP.
    Litigation is what put the screws to small aircraft manufacturers in the '60s and '70s.
    Some should listen to weird Al's song "Sue ya".
    Good song.

spydee owner

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Good song.
    Stuck in the drive thru is also a good weird Al song

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydee owner View Post
    Stuck in the drive thru is also a good weird Al song
    Actually one of my least favorite. Been a fan ever since I first heard Lasagna as a kid in the early 80s.