Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Engine Locked Down, BRP Want Cover Under Warranty

Hello to all, This is my first post on here but i have been following this site for 2 yrs. I have a 2009 spyder that i purchased new in 2010. The first weekend in May i was headed home from a bike show, about a half mile from were the show took place i was riding along doing around 50mph. and all of a sudden i heard a rattling noise from the engine and before i could pull over the back tire locked down. I called some friends and they came with my trailer, We had a hard time getting it out of gear. I took to the dealer on the following Monday. When they tried to get approval they asked did it have a fuel controller on it, He told them that he was not sure because he had'nt removed any covers accept the oil cover. well to shorten this story up, When BRP found out that i had a fuel controller on it they told the dealer that it would'nt be covered under warranty because my bike had been modified. So i called them myself and they told me the same thing, I aked him (Alex ) how can they not cover it under warranty when it had not been determined what caused the engine to lock down. He said that it had been modified and BRP stands behind there decision, I asked him if it was a faulty oil pump would it still not be covered ? He still said it would'nt be covered. Right now i am pissed ! Now i have a bike with 8k miles with a locked engine that BRP want cover under warranty. Has this happen to any one else ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that all you had just the Fuel controller, Or was there more to go with the controller

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Is that all you had just the Fuel controller, Or was there more to go with the controller
    I have Two brothers Dual Exhaust, Two Brothers Juice box Fuel Controller and o2 Modifier.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    What brand/model of fuel controller? JuiceBox?

I always worried about this kind of situation when I had a JB Pro on my 2010 RT, and more than once saw a dealer take a step back when there was a code or engine related problem they had to deal with. It will be interesting to see all the details, for those of us that like to "mod" the engine a little seeking to improve the performance.
    It is a Two Brothers Juice Box. I dont see how it would cause the engine to lock down, The dealer don't believe that cause it either but he is not certain. Oh Yeah, BRP would'nt give him or me a reason why they think that the JB caused it to lock. I have seen 2 other post where this happen and the oil pump was the culprit.

Spyder Garage

This is why I have my factory exhaust pipe on the shelf .

Any problem or when I trade it in for a RT it will go back to stock .

I also have the confidence that my dealer would not run the bus over me either , if I ever have any issues !
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Sorry to say it but I have to add -- 2 years lurking in the background and only come on to post something negative !

Sorry this is happening to you , but just goes to prove the point of a lot of guys only come to forums to complain !

Your dealer through you under the bus ! The tech blamed your problem on the fuel controller .

Question : is this the dealer you bought your spyder from and have you used the dealer for anything , ( services other tan warranty work ) ?
    Last edited by Dwanton; 06-20-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Has nothing to do with oil pump! Get on the ass with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

In the USA we are protected!!
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwanton View Post
    Sorry to say it but I have to add -- 2 years lurking in the background and only come on to post something negative !

Sorry this is happening to you , but just goes to prove the point of a lot of guys only come to forums to complain !

You dealer through you under the bus ! The tech blamed your problem on the fuel controller .

Question : is this the dealer you bought your spyder from and have you used the dealer for anything , ( services other tan warranty work ) ?
    First of all, I did'nt post on here to complain. I'm trying to inform others who may not be aware of this and they don't end up in the same situation i did. Second, The reason i never posted is because i did'nt have anything revelant to post. I don't speak on things that i am not knowlegable about. So if you take it as negative, Than thats your opinion .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    First of all, I did'nt post on here to complain. I'm trying to inform others who may not be aware of this and they don't end up in the same situation i did. Second, The reason i never posted is because i did'nt have anything revelant to post. I don't speak on things that i am not knowlegable about. So if you take it as negative, Than thats your opinion .
    Hows about answering my questions - was that dealer the one you bought your spyder from ? And have you used that dealer for anything other than a free recall ?

These things have a lot to do with whether a dealer will go to bat for you !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hows about answering my questions - was that dealer the one you bought your spyder from ? And have you used that dealer for anything other than a free recall ?

These things have a lot to do with whether a dealer will go to bat for you !
    No i did'nt buy this one from him, But i have been doing business with them for over 10 years. When i was ready to purchase a spyder they did'nt have any spyders or when they would get some in. All services has been done by this dealer and i have spent thousands over the years with them. Do i believe the dealer threw me under the bus ? no i dont, If he would have know that the JB would cause problems with my warranty he would'nt hesistate letting me know, He is a honest guy. The town i live in is small and everybody knows everybody. If nothing else, I just want others to be aware of what they put on these bikes while they are under warranty.

Spyder Garage

No i did'nt buy this one from him, But i have been doing business with them for over 10 years. When i was ready to purchase a spyder they did'nt have any spyders or when they would get some in. All services has been done by this dealer and i have spent thousands over the years with them. Do i believe the dealer threw me under the bus ? no i dont, If he would have know that the JB would cause problems with my warranty he would'nt hesistate letting me know, He is a honest guy. The town i live in is small and everybody knows everybody. If nothing else, I just want others to be aware of what they put on these bikes while they are under warranty.
    Hopefully they find an issue other than what a fuel controller would cause and they repair or replace you motor .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully they find an issue other than what a fuel controller would cause and they repair or replace you motor .
    Thanks Man !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GIVE THE GUY A BREAK HUH!

So you just bought a brand new top of the line Toyota and decide to drive it across the country....You land in California....annnnnnnd the motor sh**s the bed......soooooooooooo you go to the Toyota dealer and say , My car is under warranty so please fix it.......and they tell you sorry you didn't buy it here ......go pound sand and tow it back to where you bought it.....I don't think so.....Mike.......this non-sense about if you didn't buy it here we don't have to service it or fix it or treat you like a human has simply got to stop Spyderlover's.....It's not only Morally wrong it's ILLEGAL..........rant over
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    MR.DWANTON, So you just bought a brand new top of the line Toyota and decide to drive it across the country....You land in California....annnnnnnd the motor sh**s the bed......soooooooooooo you go to the Toyota dealer and say , My car is under warranty so please fix it.......and they tell you sorry you didn't buy it here ......go pound sand and tow it back to where you bought it.....I don't think so.....Mike.......this non-sense about if you didn't buy it here we don't have to service it or fix it or treat you like a human has simply got to stop Spyderlover's.....It's not only Morally wrong it's ILLEGAL..........rant over
    You missed the point he is not saying that at all, just wondering why dealer sided with BRP and not he (the customer).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QTSPYDER View Post
    You missed the point he is not saying that at all, just wondering why dealer sided with BRP and not he (the customer).
    The dealer did'nt side with BRP, He does'nt agree with what they said. He could'nt get an answer on why they think the JB caused the bike to lock down. When i called BRP they would'nt tell me why either.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer did'nt side with BRP, He does'nt agree with what they said. He could'nt get an answer on why they think the JB caused the bike to lock down. When i called BRP they would'nt tell me why either.
    But dealer knows after market MOD's void warranty so yes he sold you out, He knew if he told BRP about your MOD's they would not back the warranty.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QTSPYDER View Post
    But dealer knows after market MOD's void warranty so yes he sold you out, He knew if he told BRP about your MOD's they would not back the warranty.
    Most times on a major warranty claim, ie engine, A BRP zone rep will inspect the Spyder to OK or Deny the claim they probably are the one who dropped the dime on him.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you just bought a brand new top of the line Toyota and decide to drive it across the country....You land in California....annnnnnnd the motor sh**s the bed......soooooooooooo you go to the Toyota dealer and say , My car is under warranty so please fix it.......and they tell you sorry you didn't buy it here ......go pound sand and tow it back to where you bought it.....I don't think so.....Mike.......this non-sense about if you didn't buy it here we don't have to service it or fix it or treat you like a human has simply got to stop Spyderlover's.....It's not only Morally wrong it's ILLEGAL..........rant over
    I am an appliance retailer and what you are saying hits a raw nerve you try being on the other end of this one when some guy walks in to your store and says I just bought this on the Internet and I didn't check your prices but you are the dealer and you HAVE to bail me out even though warranty work only pays 1/3 the going rate for service and I see now that your price was just as good or better but be sure and bend over backwards to put me ahead of all your loyal customers and fix this because I'll never learn I should support the guy down the street who pays taxes and employs people and supports charities in the same town I live in , yes I may have to service his product but I don't have to put my best man on it and I don't have to hurry SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALER HE IS THE ONE BETWEEN YOU AND THE MANUFACTURE AND HE FILLS OUT THE PAPERWORK how he fills it out makes all the differance between covered or not no one wants a bunch of Costco s products problems dumped on their door step
    2 happy happy spyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why do some folks think that they can expect anY manf, to cover a break down after they put any part or mod on their product, when under warrant conditions it statesmitmwil not be cover if altered or mod. It is not,up,to,the factory or dealer to prove the mod did,or not cause the problem, sure u can fight,them in court, but at,what cost, if u mod or,add things,learn to,live with your actions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by texasride View Post
    Why do some folks think that they can expect anY manf, to cover a break down after they put any part or mod on their product, when under warrant conditions it statesmitmwil not be cover if altered or mod. It is not,up,to,the factory or dealer to prove the mod did,or not cause the problem, sure u can fight,them in court, but at,what cost, if u mod or,add things,learn to,live with your actions.
    Its not some folks it the LAW, the law states unless the modification is directly related to the failure the warranty as to be covered. In this case BRP as to PROVE that the fuel controller cause the engine to lock up. The law covers him to take BRP to court and even recover reasonable legal cost.

PS
    I think you will have an harder time defining reasonable legal cost than getting BRP to cover the warranty. A letter from your attorney pointing them to this fact should get them moving.

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SERVICING

DEAR MR. r1100rider, How many people take their REFRIGERATOR touring around the country....I think you missed the point....Mike...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

DEAR MR. r1100rider, How many people take their REFRIGERATOR touring around the country....I think you missed the point....Mike...
    I didn't miss the point I understand the differance between a moving object and a home appliance the dealer logic is the same if this was the dealers own product and LOYAL client he could have ignored the mods wrote up the warranty as a cracked throttle body caused a lean out and a cylinder seize up or something like that BE LOYAL TO YOUR LOCAL GUY and he may be more willing to help in questionable times that was my point
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot of folks in here who've researched this issue more than I have...
    It just seems like good common sense that if your "modification" started the chain of events that led to the failure; you're screwed...
    However... if the actual failure was in an unrelated system of components that were otherwise unaffected by the tinkering under the hood; then you have a leg to stand upon!
    It's time for Round Two... Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default You Are Correct

While this won't help resolve the issue the poster is having, I just wanted to comment on what you said - YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

For some reason - people want to use FORUMS like this to beat someone up. It doesn't solve the poster's problem that some of us agree with him; while others may not. At the end of the day, he will have to duke it out with his dealer and BRP.

What is great about this FORUM is all the tips I get on products: rider experiences (good or bad) that help me make my own decisions; where to get the best deals; who treats you honestly; etc.

Some times I am happy that I am mechanically a moron. I see and read all these great posts about modifications, but I know I am not capable of performing them. Also, I always feared voiding the warranty by doing something mechanically to my machine.

Sounds like he has given them (BRP) an out on an expensive repair.

Would have been great if the dealer got him to sign a document agreeing to pay for the cost of diagnosing the problem if after diagnosing the problem they found out it was something related to his modifications. If it was something the factory normally would have been responsible for; BRP should pay. And if it was something you could not tell either way (could have been caused by the mods - might not have been caused by the mods) the guy pays and BRP doesn't (not their responsibility to figure it out for him if his mods could have contributed to the problem, even if they didn't).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I didn't miss the point I understand the differance between a moving object and a home appliance the dealer logic is the same if this was the dealers own product and LOYAL client he could have ignored the mods wrote up the warranty as a cracked throttle body caused a lean out and a cylinder seize up or something like that BE LOYAL TO YOUR LOCAL GUY and he may be more willing to help in questionable times that was my point
    First of all you need to go back and read my post, I have been a customer with this shop for 10+ years. When i was looking to purchase a spyder my dealer did'nt have any spyders and was'nt sure when they would get any in. I wanted a bike to ride the summer of 2010, They actually did'nt get any bikes in until Nov. of 2010. Get the facts.