Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Engine Locked Down, BRP Want Cover Under Warranty

Hello to all, This is my first post on here but i have been following this site for 2 yrs. I have a 2009 spyder that i purchased new in 2010. The first weekend in May i was headed home from a bike show, about a half mile from were the show took place i was riding along doing around 50mph. and all of a sudden i heard a rattling noise from the engine and before i could pull over the back tire locked down. I called some friends and they came with my trailer, We had a hard time getting it out of gear. I took to the dealer on the following Monday. When they tried to get approval they asked did it have a fuel controller on it, He told them that he was not sure because he had'nt removed any covers accept the oil cover. well to shorten this story up, When BRP found out that i had a fuel controller on it they told the dealer that it would'nt be covered under warranty because my bike had been modified. So i called them myself and they told me the same thing, I aked him (Alex ) how can they not cover it under warranty when it had not been determined what caused the engine to lock down. He said that it had been modified and BRP stands behind there decision, I asked him if it was a faulty oil pump would it still not be covered ? He still said it would'nt be covered. Right now i am pissed ! Now i have a bike with 8k miles with a locked engine that BRP want cover under warranty. Has this happen to any one else ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Is that all you had just the Fuel controller, Or was there more to go with the controller

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Is that all you had just the Fuel controller, Or was there more to go with the controller
    I have Two brothers Dual Exhaust, Two Brothers Juice box Fuel Controller and o2 Modifier.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    What brand/model of fuel controller? JuiceBox?

I always worried about this kind of situation when I had a JB Pro on my 2010 RT, and more than once saw a dealer take a step back when there was a code or engine related problem they had to deal with. It will be interesting to see all the details, for those of us that like to "mod" the engine a little seeking to improve the performance.
    It is a Two Brothers Juice Box. I dont see how it would cause the engine to lock down, The dealer don't believe that cause it either but he is not certain. Oh Yeah, BRP would'nt give him or me a reason why they think that the JB caused it to lock. I have seen 2 other post where this happen and the oil pump was the culprit.

Spyder Garage

This is why I have my factory exhaust pipe on the shelf .

Any problem or when I trade it in for a RT it will go back to stock .

I also have the confidence that my dealer would not run the bus over me either , if I ever have any issues !
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Sorry to say it but I have to add -- 2 years lurking in the background and only come on to post something negative !

Sorry this is happening to you , but just goes to prove the point of a lot of guys only come to forums to complain !

Your dealer through you under the bus ! The tech blamed your problem on the fuel controller .

Question : is this the dealer you bought your spyder from and have you used the dealer for anything , ( services other tan warranty work ) ?
    Last edited by Dwanton; 06-20-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Has nothing to do with oil pump! Get on the ass with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

In the USA we are protected!!
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwanton View Post
    Sorry to say it but I have to add -- 2 years lurking in the background and only come on to post something negative !

Sorry this is happening to you , but just goes to prove the point of a lot of guys only come to forums to complain !

You dealer through you under the bus ! The tech blamed your problem on the fuel controller .

Question : is this the dealer you bought your spyder from and have you used the dealer for anything , ( services other tan warranty work ) ?
    First of all, I did'nt post on here to complain. I'm trying to inform others who may not be aware of this and they don't end up in the same situation i did. Second, The reason i never posted is because i did'nt have anything revelant to post. I don't speak on things that i am not knowlegable about. So if you take it as negative, Than thats your opinion .

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default You Are Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Dwanton View Post
    While this won't help resolve the issue the poster is having, I just wanted to comment on what you said - YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

For some reason - people want to use FORUMS like this to beat someone up. It doesn't solve the poster's problem that some of us agree with him; while others may not. At the end of the day, he will have to duke it out with his dealer and BRP.

What is great about this FORUM is all the tips I get on products: rider experiences (good or bad) that help me make my own decisions; where to get the best deals; who treats you honestly; etc.

Some times I am happy that I am mechanically a moron. I see and read all these great posts about modifications, but I know I am not capable of performing them. Also, I always feared voiding the warranty by doing something mechanically to my machine.

Sounds like he has given them (BRP) an out on an expensive repair.

Would have been great if the dealer got him to sign a document agreeing to pay for the cost of diagnosing the problem if after diagnosing the problem they found out it was something related to his modifications. If it was something the factory normally would have been responsible for; BRP should pay. And if it was something you could not tell either way (could have been caused by the mods - might not have been caused by the mods) the guy pays and BRP doesn't (not their responsibility to figure it out for him if his mods could have contributed to the problem, even if they didn't).

Spyder Garage

Angry Modifications Void Entire Warranty? I do not think so!

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    ...I aked him (Alex ) how can they not cover it under warranty when it had not been determined what caused the engine to lock down. He said that it had been modified and BRP stands behind there decision, I asked him if it was a faulty oil pump would it still not be covered ? He still said it would'nt be covered...

Approaching this from a maintenance background of 30+ years, BRP needs to 1st determine what caused the failure. Did the engine fail due to a faulty NON-MODIFIED part or did it fail as a result of an UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATION?

Is there anyone on this site who thinks that adding additional lights would cause an engine to seize up? Yet the adding of additional lights is by definition an "unauthorized modification". Only after determining WHAT caused the engine to seize up can BRP then determine if it is a warranty issue or not. Sorry BRP but simply "modifying" your product does not completely void a warranty unless the modifications can be shown to be the cause of premature failure.

Finally, if there are faulty components due to poor quality control by a supplier or BRP itself then it is BRP who has the issue and the resulting problem(s).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post

Approaching this from a maintenance background of 30+ years, BRP needs to 1st determine what caused the failure. Did the engine fail due to a faulty NON-MODIFIED part or did it fail as a result of an UNAUTHORIZED MODIFICATION?

Is there anyone on this site who thinks that adding additional lights would cause an engine to seize up? Yet the adding of additional lights is by definition an "unauthorized modification". Only after determining WHAT caused the engine to seize up can BRP then determine if it is a warranty issue or not. Sorry BRP but simply "modifying" your product does not completely void a warranty unless the modifications can be shown to be the cause of premature failure.

Finally, if there are faulty components due to poor quality control by a supplier or BRP itself then it is BRP who has the issue and the resulting problem(s).

You're right, even a different type or brand Of tires pipe, etc. could void warranty by there definition.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Damn - Twice I have have to agree with someone other then the owner.

I agree, but what about what I said above? Shouldn't the Spyder owner sign an agreement to pay all the costs associated with diagnosing the problem if it turns out it is his fault? I believe I agree with what you are saying, but if, in fact, the manufacturer/dealer say oops.. your fault - now pay us for the time it took us to figure this out - won't he only be more steamed, i.e. throwing good money after bad so to speak? I also believe that the manufacturer/dealer wins a tie, i.e. could have been our problem, could have been your problem.

It is not up to the manufacturer/dealer to figure this out for the guy. He must ante up with a promise to pay if they determine his MODS caused the problem or may have caused the problem. Only if it is clearly the manufacturer's fault, should they pay. Also, this sounds like an expensive repair, so I am leaving the dealer free of all liability on this one. Didn't buy it there; they didn't do the MODS; they need to get paid by someone (customer or manufacturer).

I think I have seen other people post on this FORUM they would not contemplate major MODS before the warranty runs out. Technically, any MODS might violate the agreement with the manufacturer. So he is behind the 8-ball to begin with based upon what he signed. The one fact no one is disputing is: he made MODS that affected the mechanical operation of his Spyder. That is not adding L.E.D.s to your Spyder.

P.S. If they can agree on doing the diagnosis with the customer paying the costs if the MODS may have contributed to his problem, I would get him to pay the estimate upfront. Just remember, my words are "may have contributed to his problem". They do not have to prove beyond a doubt his MODS didn't cause the problem - they are not responsible for figuring that out for him. He has to make his own case. He made the MODS not them.

Few weeks ago, I agreed with an insurance company. Now I am agreeing with a manufacturer (sort of).

Pigs are flying in central Ohio.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post

Then I'm guessing that a regular Umbrella just ain't gonna cut the mustard!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree, but what about what I said above? Shouldn't the Spyder owner sign an agreement to pay all the costs associated with diagnosing the problem if it turns out it is his fault? I believe I agree with what you are saying, but if, in fact, the manufacturer/dealer say oops.. your fault - now pay us for the time it took us to figure this out - won't he only be more steamed, i.e. throwing good money after bad so to speak? I also believe that the manufacturer/dealer wins a tie, i.e. could have been our problem, could have been your problem.

It is not up to the manufacturer/dealer to figure this out for the guy. He must ante up with a promise to pay if they determine his MODS caused the problem or may have caused the problem. Only if it is clearly the manufacturer's fault, should they pay. Also, this sounds like an expensive repair, so I am leaving the dealer free of all liability on this one. Didn't buy it there; they didn't do the MODS; they need to get paid by someone (customer or manufacturer).

I think I have seen other people post on this FORUM they would not contemplate major MODS before the warranty runs out. Technically, any MODS might violate the agreement with the manufacturer. So he is behind the 8-ball to begin with based upon what he signed. The one fact no one is disputing is: he made MODS that affected the mechanical operation of his Spyder. That is not adding L.E.D.s to your Spyder.

P.S. If they can agree on doing the diagnosis with the customer paying the costs if the MODS may have contributed to his problem, I would get him to pay the estimate upfront. Just remember, my words are "may have contributed to his problem". They do not have to prove beyond a doubt his MODS didn't cause the problem - they are not responsible for figuring that out for him. He has to make his own case. He made the MODS not them.

Few weeks ago, I agreed with an insurance company. Now I am agreeing with a manufacturer (sort of).

Check out : Magnuson-Moss Act Of 1975

Spyder Garage

Everyone can have a lot of suggestions as to what you should or shouldn't do, but the facts still stand...you had a modification done to your Spyder and almost every manufacturer of autos or motorcycles will void any and all warranties if mods are done to their product. Sure, we can all insist that each case should be taken individually, but that would be very time consuming and would result in tying up the small claims courts to no end...So the reason for the blanket coverall...any mod to the product voids the warranty...Period.
    You can go ahead and hire a lawyer, but I think you will lose. The dealer may have installed the mods you had done, but that doesn't put them on any blame...you wanted it done, they did it, and you paid them.
    And if you read through all the papers you got from BRP when you purchased the Spyder you will probably see a written their disclaimer if the Spyder is modified.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Everyone can have a lot of suggestions as to what you should or shouldn't do, but the facts still stand...you had a modification done to your Spyder and almost every manufacturer of autos or motorcycles will void any and all warranties if mods are done to their product. Sure, we can all insist that each case should be taken individually, but that would be very time consuming and would result in tying up the small claims courts to no end...So the reason for the blanket coverall...any mod to the product voids the warranty...Period.
    You can go ahead and hire a lawyer, but I think you will lose. The dealer may have installed the mods you had done, but that doesn't put them on any blame...you wanted it done, they did it, and you paid them.
    And if you read through all the papers you got from BRP when you purchased the Spyder you will probably see a written their disclaimer if the Spyder is modified.
    When I picked my Spyder up after my Only problem they noticed I had ESI Double Play and Center Light and informed me that was Nice BUT if I have any electrical problems (In The Future?) BRP is not going to cover that type of problem since I have after market electronics installed!
    My problem was not related to electronics and was fixed.
    Last edited by Sarge707; 06-21-2012 at 12:27 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Dudley;472797] The dealer may have installed the mods you had done, but that doesn't put them on any blame...you wanted it done, they did it, and you paid them.
    QUOTE]

As the Lawyers always say ''Not necessarily so''
    The dealer is the ''expert'' [in the eyes of the law] And if the customer wants something installed or removed like a cat which is illegal it is his duty to refuse to do it, So if he doesn't refuse and something gos wrong the dealer will then be on the hook!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Sorry Dudley... but you're incorrect on this. They legally CANNOT just 'void' your warranty because you did mods. Wouldn't matter if they did have some disclaimer you signed. Such agreements are null and void in the USA.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Obligation

....It is not up to the manufacturer/dealer to figure this out for the guy. He must ante up with a promise to pay if they determine his MODS caused the problem or may have caused the problem. Only if it is clearly the manufacturer's fault, should they pay. Also, this sounds like an expensive repair, so I am leaving the dealer free of all liability on this one. Didn't buy it there; they didn't do the MODS; they need to get paid by someone (customer or manufacturer)...

Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

1st, If a product is under warranty it is from the manufacturer (BRP) not necessarily the dealer. The manufacturer (not dealer) MUST honor their own warranty. To that end, ANY authorized dealer that can do the work should. They then are reimbursed by BRP for honoring THEIR warranty - NOT a dealer specific warranty.

2nd, The problem is that it is NOT clear it is the owners fault because no individual can specifically point to and say, "It failed because your unauthorized modification caused this component right here to fail due to _______". Simply saying it failed because a mod was done clearly fails to show proof the mod was the culprit of the failure or premature failure.

3rd, Regardless of WHERE or WHO you bought your BRP product from, BRP authorizes their dealers to act as their agent to explain and endorse their warranty(s) upon purchase. Any dealer saying they refuse to do warranty work on a BRP product they didn't sell you seems to me that they do more harm to the name "BRP" than good. Not having a qualified tech or tools to repair products they advertise they work on is false advertising and should be reported to both BRP and your local BBB.

4th, If the failure is found to be the result of said unauthorized mod, then it by definition is NOT a warranty issue and becomes the financial responsibility of the owner.

NOTE: BRP does not offer a back rest for people who need it due to having a physical disability. Modifying your seat at the owners expense (i.e. a Corbin or cutting into the BRP seat to install a back rest), is a mod that is a reasonable accommodation that could be argued under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and would not void the remaining manufacturer warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1st, If a product is under warranty it is from the manufacturer (BRP) not necessarily the dealer. The manufacturer (not dealer) MUST honor their own warranty. To that end, ANY authorized dealer that can do the work should. They then are reimbursed by BRP for honoring THEIR warranty - NOT a dealer specific warranty.

2nd, The problem is that it is NOT clear it is the owners fault because no individual can specifically point to and say, "It failed because your unauthorized modification caused this component right here to fail due to _______". Simply saying it failed because a mod was done clearly fails to show proof the mod was the culprit of the failure or premature failure.

3rd, Regardless of WHERE or WHO you bought your BRP product from, BRP authorizes their dealers to act as their agent to explain and endorse their warranty(s) upon purchase. Any dealer saying they refuse to do warranty work on a BRP product they didn't sell you seems to me that they do more harm to the name "BRP" than good. Not having a qualified tech or tools to repair products they advertise they work on is false advertising and should be reported to both BRP and your local BBB.

4th, If the failure is found to be the result of said unauthorized mod, then it by definition is NOT a warranty issue and becomes the financial responsibility of the owner.

NOTE: BRP does not offer a back rest for people who need it due to having a physical disability. Modifying your seat at the owners expense (i.e. a Corbin or cutting into the BRP seat to install a back rest), is a mod that is a reasonable accommodation that could be argued under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and would not void the remaining manufacturer warranty.
    Dale

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1st, If a product is under warranty it is from the manufacturer (BRP) not necessarily the dealer. The manufacturer (not dealer) MUST honor their own warranty. To that end, ANY authorized dealer that can do the work should. They then are reimbursed by BRP for honoring THEIR warranty - NOT a dealer specific warranty. RESPONSE: THE POINT IS, THE MANUFACTURER SAYS IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY. WHATEVER WARRANTY HE HAD WAS VOIDED BY HIS MODS. YOU ARE USING A CIRCULAR ARGUMENT. YOU ARE SUGGESTING THERE IS A WARRANTY UNLESS THEY CAN PROVE THE MOD IS RESPONSIBLE. THEY ARE INVOKING THE LANGUAGE IN THEIR WARRANTY THAT VOIDS WARRANTY COVERAGE IF THERE WERE MODS PERFORMED ON THE SPYDER. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE IT ANY FURTHER THEN THAT BASED UPON AN AGREED FACT: THE ENGINE WAS MODIFIED.

2nd, The problem is that it is NOT clear it is the owners fault because no individual can specifically point to and say, "It failed because your unauthorized modification caused this component right here to fail due to _______". Simply saying it failed because a mod was done clearly fails to show proof the mod was the culprit of the failure or premature failure. RESPONSE: APPARENTLY THERE IS A COMMON BELIEF THAT THE MANUFACTURER MUST DO MORE THEN THEY HAVE DONE IN THIS CASE. THE POLICY SAYS "MODS VOID THE WARRANTY". END OF STORY. BASED UPON THEIR POSITION, THEY HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO TRY TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF HIS PROBLEM. THE ONE FACT WE ARE ALL AGREEING ON (MANUFACTURER, SPYDER OWNER, YOU & I) IS HE HAD MODS INSTALLED ON HIS SPYDER. WE ALL AGREE ON THAT. SOME OF US ARE OF THE OPINION IT IS THE MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO DETERMINE IF THOSE MODS CAUSED AND/OR CONTRIBUTED TO THE PROBLEM. I RESPECTFULLY SUGGEST THEY ARE UNDER NO RESPONSIBILITY TO DO SO. IF THE SPYDER OWNER WANTS TO HIRE HIS OWN ATTORNEY AND EXPERTS TO CONTRADICT THE EFFECTS OF HIS MODS, HE IS FREE TO DO SO. BUT WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE OF THE OPINION THE MANUFACTURER DO THIS ON HIS BEHALF? AS I SUGGESTED EARLIER, ADDING A L.E.D. LIGHT IS A LOT DIFFERENT THEN TINKERING WITH THE MECHANICS OF THE ENGINE.

3rd, Regardless of WHERE or WHO you bought your BRP product from, BRP authorizes their dealers to act as their agent to explain and endorse their warranty(s) upon purchase. Any dealer saying they refuse to do warranty work on a BRP product they didn't sell you seems to me that they do more harm to the name "BRP" than good. Not having a qualified tech or tools to repair products they advertise they work on is false advertising and should be reported to both BRP and your local BBB. RESPONSE: FRANCHISED DEALERS MUST HONOR THEIR AGREEMENTS WITH THE MANUFACTURER, INCLUDING DOING WARRANTY WORK FOR NON-CUSTOMERS. MANY STATES HAVE MOTOR VEHICLE DEALER BOARDS. IF A DEALER IS NOT HONORING HIS OBLIGATION, THE MANUFACTURER SHOULD BE CONTACTED AS WELL AS THE DEALER BOARD. ALSO, MANY STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS HAVE A SECTION CALLED CONSUMER SALES PRACTICES WHICH MIGHT BE HELPFUL. IN REGARDS TO DEALERS HONORING WARRANTY WORK FOR NON-CUSTOMERS, MY LOCAL DEALER SELLS A TON OF MOTORCYCLES, JET SKIS, ATV'S, ETC. BECAUSE THE NATURE OF THEIR BUSINESS IS SEASONAL, GETTING HELP IN THE SPRING IS DIFFICULT. HOW DO YOU ARGUE THE DEALER IS SCREWING WITH YOU ON WARRANTY REPAIRS IF WE ARE TALKING WEEKS INSTEAD OF DAYS? WHEN I SCHEDULED MY 600 MILE SERVICE, I HAD TO WAIT 2 AND HALF WEEKS TO GET MY SPYDER IN AND I KNOW THE DEALER WASN'T SCREWING WITH ME. HE WAS JUST THAT BUSY.

4th, If the failure is found to be the result of said unauthorized mod, then it by definition is NOT a warranty issue and becomes the financial responsibility of the owner. RESPONSE: BUT IF YOU ARE PLACING THE RESPONSIBILITY ON THE MANUFACTURER/DEALER TO MAKE THAT DETERMINATION, I HUMBLY DISAGREE WITH YOU. THEY HAVE MADE A DETERMINATION (BASED ON ANOTHER PROVISION OF THEIR WARRANTY DOCUMENT), I.E. MODS VOID THE WARRANTY. WHY WOULD THEY GO ANY FURTHER THEN THEY HAVE? ONCE THEY START AGREEING TO MORE THEN THEY ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED, THEN THEY ARE ESSENTIALLY UNILATERALLY CHANGING THE TERMS OF THEIR WARRANTY AND WOULD BE EXPECTED TO EXTEND THAT SAME COURTESY TO EVERY SPYDER OWNER. THEY CAN'T CHANGE THEIR WARRANTY, AFTER THE FACT, TO LESSEN THE BENEFIT TO THE BUYER, BUT NOTHING PREVENTS THEM FROM EXTENDING THEIR WARRANTY COVERAGE BEYOND THE TERMS IF THEY WANT TO FOR A PARTICULAR CUSTOMER. BUT WHY WOULD THEY ASSUME THIS ADDITIONAL LIABILITY VOLUNTARILY?

NOTE: BRP does not offer a back rest for people who need it due to having a physical disability. Modifying your seat at the owners expense (i.e. a Corbin or cutting into the BRP seat to install a back rest), is a mod that is a reasonable accommodation that could be argued under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and would not void the remaining manufacturer warranty. RESPONSE: I AGREE IT WOULD BE FOOLISH FOR BRP TO TAKE THEIR POLCIES TO THE EXTREME. PENALIZING SOMEONE FOR A MOD THAT IN NO WAY COULD HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON THE MECHANICS OF THE SPYDER WOULD DESTROY ANY GOODWILL THEY WOULD WISH TO CULTIVATE WITH PRESENT AND FUTURE CUSTOMERS. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MECHANICAL CHANGES TO THE ENGINE. GIVING EXAMPLES (APPLES AND ORANGES COMPARISONS) IS INTERESTING, BUT DOES NOT MITIGATE THE FACT MECHANICAL CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE WAY THE ENGINE PERFORMS AND NOW THIS SPYDER OWNER IS HAVING MECHANICAL PROBLEMS.
    I have a novel idea --- don't do MODS like this until the warranty expires. And when a warranty suggests MODS will void your warranty -- consider that before you make the MODS and then be prepared to accept the consequences if you do make MODS to your SPYDER.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 06-21-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

...RESPONSE: THE POINT IS, THE MANUFACTURER SAYS IT IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY. WHATEVER WARRANTY HE HAD WAS VOIDED BY HIS MODS. YOU ARE USING A CIRCULAR ARGUMENT. YOU ARE SUGGESTING THERE IS A WARRANTY UNLESS THEY CAN PROVE THE MOD IS RESPONSIBLE. THEY ARE INVOKING THE LANGUAGE IN THEIR WARRANTY THAT VOIDS WARRANTY COVERAGE IF THERE WERE MODS PERFORMED ON THE SPYDER. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE IT ANY FURTHER THEN THAT BASED UPON AN AGREED FACT: THE ENGINE WAS MODIFIED...

Whether or not the language within the warranty voids the warranty in its entirity is a legal decision to be made by an authority higher than this forum can offer. As an example, our country debates healthcare reform and its legality as it is written. Some argue it is legal while others say not. Now the US Supreme Court will decide it for all.

My point is just because BRP says so, does not mean it is so. I am sure their legal beagles assert their warranty language is iron clad while a judge may disagree with their assertion and rule differently. Keep an open mind.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

..I work at a Dodge
    dealership and have seen over fueling issues with controllers on the Cummins Diesels...Causes pistons to seize and cause all sorts of damage..Believe me,the manufacturer can decline warranty..But,it need dis-assembled first at customers possible expense as so eloquently stated above..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post

..I work at a Dodge
    dealership and have seen over fueling issues with controllers on the Cummins Diesels...Causes pistons to seize and cause all sorts of damage..Believe me,the manufacturer can decline warranty..But,it need dis-assembled first at customers possible expense as so eloquently stated above..
    Thanks for the feed back but, Mods are mods not matter how you look at it by BRP definition it voids warranty. Ok let me pit it this way, You by a head light bulb 2 weeks later your electrical system fry, you take it to your dealer and he says ok this is a repair that must be approve by BRP. So they called to get the diagnostic approve and BRP says, Is there a super white bulb installed and the dealer says yes. So BRP says we are not going to cover it because customer has that unapproved bulb installed. Dealer calls customer and informs he/she of what has been communicated from BRP. Customer calls BRP and BRP tells them that it does'nt matter if something else caused the damage or not . YOU HAD AN AFTER MARKET COMPONENT ON YOUR SPYDER AND WE STAND BEHIND OUR DECISION. So what would you do ? So tell me if you think i am wrong fof challenging them. I want the feed back good or bad, I can handle it. The mods i did is because of info i got here. So bring it on !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    Thanks for the feed back but, Mods are mods not matter how you look at it by BRP definition it voids warranty. Ok let me pit it this way, You by a head light bulb 2 weeks later your electrical system fry, you take it to your dealer and he says ok this is a repair that must be approve by BRP. So they called to get the diagnostic approve and BRP says, Is there a super white bulb installed and the dealer says yes. So BRP says we are not going to cover it because customer has that unapproved bulb installed. Dealer calls customer and informs he/she of what has been communicated from BRP. Customer calls BRP and BRP tells them that it does'nt matter if something else caused the damage or not . YOU HAD AN AFTER MARKET COMPONENT ON YOUR SPYDER AND WE STAND BEHIND OUR DECISION. So what would you do ? So tell me if you think i am wrong fof challenging them. I want the feed back good or bad, I can handle it. The mods i did is because of info i got here. So bring it on !

Decals and paint are all 100% after market - True? I wonder if BRP would cover an engine related issue with these "un-authorized modifications" installed? Truth is BRP can deny every single warranty claim until forced thru litigation to do otherwise. Doing so would sour their reputation in the motorcycle community and their sales would reflect such an unpopular act. Customer Service is exactly that - CUSTOMER SERVICE. All manufacturers have a certain level of responsibility to the consumer regardless of what their "warranty agreement" states. Seems dangerous for any mfg to deny any warranty claim that they cannot directly point to a mod as the sole cause - especially if a counter claim can prove that the mod had noting to do with their product being defective.

Just my 2-cents....