Spyder Garage

Default June 16th Spyder Ride

My wife, Charlene and I enjoyed our ryde today until the accident in Eureka Springs. Unfortunately Charlene hit the throttle instead of the brake. We have a cramp buster on the throttle due to my bad hand to help me. Well, as she got onto the curb the action threw her hand into the throttle harder and we ended up airborne throwing out of the back seat putting right foot between the other curb and the back tire and throwing me into the parking lot.

Surgery will be tomorrow around noon to repair my right leg. It was broken in two places and lools like minimum 12 weeks in a cast.

The Spyder seems okay, we'll have Gary inspect someday soon.

Can't wait to heal up and get back in the saddle.

Please excuse typos and grammar errors.

Charlene feels awful. I'm glad it wasn't.

Next time when we have a ryde maybe we can have lunch at my place with hot dogs, burgers and trimmings. We have plenty of room.

Thanks to everyone that came by the hospital. Spyder ryders are the best folks around!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Wow. Hope all heals fast and completely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope all heals fast for you, your wife and your bike

Spyder Garage

Ouch, hope ya'll are back in good shape and on the road, soon.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Oh no! I'm glad it wasn't any worse. Praying for quick and complete healing. (And for Charlene, too!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    My wife, Charlene and I enjoyed our ryde today until the accident in Eureka Springs. Unfortunately Charlene hit the throttle instead of the brake. We have a cramp buster on the throttle due to my bad hand to help me. Well, as she got onto the curb the action threw her hand into the throttle harder and we ended up airborne throwing out of the back seat putting right foot between the other curb and the back tire and throwing me into the parking lot.

Surgery will be tomorrow around noon to repair my right leg. It was broken in two places and lools like minimum 12 weeks in a cast.

The Spyder seems okay, we'll have Gary inspect someday soon.

Can't wait to heal up and get back in the saddle.

Please excuse typos and grammar errors.

Charlene feels awful. I'm glad it wasn't.

Next time when we have a ryde maybe we can have lunch at my place with hot dogs, burgers and trimmings. We have plenty of room.

Thanks to everyone that came by the hospital. Spyder ryders are the best folks around!

Sitting behind you guys watching this all unfold over the three to five seconds it took seemed like an eternity. Talk about feeling utterly helpless! I haven't felt like that in a long time.

I completely understand the mechanics of how this happened having a cramp buster myself. I typically remove it once we get to where we are going but in the future I will be more aware of it's presence when it's installed.

Looking forward to our next ride. Hot dogs are fine with us!

Stretch Break.jpg

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, sorry about the acccident, I'll be happy to look the bike over when you're up to it, I'll make a house call. But you heal first, that's most important.
    Hot dogs sounds great to me too!

Gary
    Bentonville
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for the kind thoughts. Got a steel plate and a bunch of screws holding things together to aid in the healing process. Hope to go home late this evening or tomorrow. Pain management is the immediate concern for me. Folks will be giving me options today as no weight will permitted for at least six or eight weeks.

Gary, thank you so much for the offer of a house call to inspect the machine and see what if or any broken parts are needed. My son thinks the front left tire and wheel need replaced. My helmet will most certainly be due to it getting thumped.

Hope I am making sense since I've got my Droid-x here in the hospital.

arntufun

for you for a quick recovery.

Spyder Garage

I am glad that you are doing OK and healing. I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts an prayers.

Spyder Garage

Heal quickly, your in our thoughts and
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

I'm looking forward to getting back into the saddle. Looks like mid September -- Bike, Blues, and Barbaque. Charlene and I would love to make our home the place for lunch on the ride to celebrate getting back on my feet.

Chuck and I can work out a nice route.

I'll most certainly be getting with Gary to get the Spyder back to new condition.

We really have appreciated all of the prayers and kind thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you heal quickly and get back to normal sooner than later.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up The Chief Says Hang In There

You have plenty of time to heal. Accidents do happen. The Mrs. and I would really like you guys to go to Spyderfest next year. We had such a blast and already have reservations to go back. Here is my email address navy1976@comcast.net Hang in there. Get well soon and report to Spyderfest. That is a direct order from the chief's wife. Fair winds and following seas. NavyChiefEd

Spyder Garage

Chief,
    We had to cancel our reservations this year. We're going to Spyderfest next year for sure. MRS Commander wants to go, too.

Looking good for me to go home tomorrow.

We've got to have some ramps for the porch and front door built asap. I have a carpenter friend that can do it.

Spyder Garage

Default Home sweet home

We finally got home about an hour ago. It'll take a few days to make adjustments to the house for the walker and wheelchair. Then until mid September before I can ryde. Charlene and I look forward to our next and we want to grill lunch at our home mid-ryde. Got my fingers crossed for some for the trees to turn.

Ride safe, my friends.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Squid,
    Just read about the accident. Really sorry to hear about it. I have a portable, 6 foot aluminum wheelchair ramp you can use if it would be of any help. Send me a pm and I'll get you my phone # or contact Gary. He nows how to contact me. Good luck!
    RoHo

Spyder Garage

RoHo,
    Thanks a million for the offer, but I'm having ramps built within the week. A carpenter friend is going to put in hand rails in the bathrooms, ramps, and replace the front storm door.

When we had our home built in 2008 we contracted for an ADA home. The contractor did not do the ramps (long story) but did put proper toilets in. I thought they did the hand rails correctly until I was in this situation. For now the walker is my primary method to get around. I haven't figured how to get from the wheel chair to toilet without my right foot having any weight on it.
    We're looking forward to ryding with ya'll for BBB. May be my first chance to ride.
    Regards,
    Rich

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just get well and back on the bike soon. If I can help in any way, let me know.
    Montie

Spyder Garage

On Monday the staples will be removed. Right now it looks like ten weeks before I can put any weight on the foot. I'm in an inflatable rigid boot now. I'm exercising my leg by lifting it up and down. The foot is stiff with a very tiny up and down movement in the ankle and zero left/right movement. I'm sure the physical therapy folks will help.

Yesterday my carpenter got the wheelchair ramps and platform built to my sidewalk. Next week he'll finish installing assist bars in the bathrooms.

I think I have just about got the walker mastered.

Spyder Garage

Default On the road again

This past Friday I told my physical therapist that I was ready to venture out on my own. I am finally cleared to drive. Been taking little steps on the Spyder, but I feel confident that I can ride again just fine.

Doctor said to expect another year of swelling in the ankle area due to so many breaks near the ankle and the steel plate, screws and bolts. I can say I know when it is getting cold and rainy out.

I believe the only damage done to the bike that I can't buff out is the passenger right side arm rest. I'm guessing when I came off of the Spyder I must have turned it into a swiveling arm rest. The rear bolt broke free of the body molding it is attached to. I'll be getting with Gary to see if we can mend it with JB Weld or replace the panel.

I sure have missed riding these past four months and will try to make up for lost time when the weather permits. Thursday I have an appointment with Bradford Marine to replace the back tire. The danged thing wore down in the middle, but outside of the middle the tire looks almost new. 11,000 miles and I guess that will be time for rear tire replacements. The two front tires look great, though.

Thanks to everyone that have sent notes. They were surely appreciated. Chuck, thank you for your kind notes and updates.
    Warm Regards to all,
    Rich

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rich, I'll do what I can, call when you're ready. Glad you're making progress.

Gary
    479-657-6695
    info@NWACycleService.com
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Gary,
    Thanks. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we can get together and see what it will take to fix the arm rest and anything else you might find in need to replacement parts.

An old injury from the Navy has came to haunt me and now the doctors are wearing me out. We'll get together soon.
    Regards,
    Rich