Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I was gonna make a comment here, but I've seen this type of debate on other forums before, so I'm just gonna...

Chicken !!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StriperKing View Post
    Thank you sir. I to am an adult with the ability to think for myself.
    Why does everyone think that I am a guy. Must be my handle.
    Breathing New Life into Forgotten Treasures

DerBayzVintage

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    Na it's just that they don't/didn't read most of your early post's.

Spyder Garage

OOPS, sorry. Please let me make it up to you, lol. Seriously my bad for assuming but love your point of view.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Spyder Garage

Default no hell mutt

i guess i'll weigh in here since arntufun is chicken . i don't own a helmet. i've been riding since i was twenty. that's 34 years. i'm still here. if you want to wear a lid, wear it. don't tell me what to do.
    statistically i'm entering the last twenty years of my life. i've lasted this long, i imagine i'll last awhile longer. ps i smoke too.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh yes he did !!!.......................... smokem if you got em
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I want to mention something separate from the life-or-death angle.....

When I rode at 70mph with my visor up and no gloves (only did that once), I was hit by several bugs and a couple of 2 inch sized moths. On top of that the rocks from cars ahead of me were also stinging my hands and face. Everytime something hit me (no matter how small), it was very painful. Even a little drizzle of rain at that speed feels like golf balls on the skin. So how are the no-helmet/glove riders handling that pain....??? It's very distracting....
    Windshield? doesn't help the hands but it would have to go through the windshield on my RT to hit my face or head I am short

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    If you don't wear a helmet, you deserve what's coming if and when there is an accident. But the people close to you don't deserve it. If you love the people around you, you'll wear a helmet. If you don't care enough to save yourself for yourself, care enough to save yourself for them.

To those who still have their fathers in their life, tell them you love them today.

Your dad deserved to die and didnt love you???
    Well thought out argument...

Spyder Garage

flipper.jpgIMG_3268.jpgIMG_3269.jpg

You wear a helmet because you never know what will happen.

A year ago if you asked me "if you high-sided off a Spyder at 80 MPH would you live?" I would answer "no".
    My Helmet proved me wrong and saved my life.

If you choose to wear one piece of gear make it a helmet (Full Face):
    - Protects against 50+ mph rocks
    - Protects against dirt/sand/bugs
    - Provides visibility in rain and sunlight
    - Reduces road noise for long trips
    - Provides neck protection when you hit the pavement
    - Makes you look cool / badass with a reflective shield on the front

I think a lot of people who just take a quick trip around the block don't use them. But riders that actually do get out and ride for distance, in the rain, on highways, on trips longer than 5 minutes realize that Helmets provide for a better riding experience (see rock protection,etc listed above)

There are soo many styles to choose from I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.

* I think state laws requiring helmet use is almost a different debate.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If it were a PERSONAL choice, I MIGHT agree

The way I see it, it isn't a personal choice!
    YOU pay insurance and I pay insurance. It is a POOL of funds that is collected to pay for injuries.

YOU have an accident with no helmet and have a severe Head Injury. So EVERYONE'S insurance goes up to feed the pool of needed finances.

I have an accident and dont need as much money to recover......our insurance does not need as much money. Insurance goes up less or the funds are available.

It MIGHT be alright if you choose to not collect insurance if the head injury is due to your own.....Should I go out on a limb and say.......Stupidity.

I think it should be MY choice if MY money should cover YOUR choice to not wear a helmet.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    **** off. This was 30 years ago before people knew better, jackass. Talk about out of line.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Here are the issues I have.

1. I have personally seen helmets that were pretty beat up as examples of what can happen when you take a spill. I have also heard of someone who has died from a loss of control after a bug hit them in the face. Also, I have had a bug splat me where my eye would be had I not had my full face on. If you want to argue that a decapitation can occur with a FF helmet, I'd have to say "So can winning the lottery". However, it is rare enough that I wouldn't worry about it. Bottom line, you are safer with a FF helmet than a do rag.

2. Choice. With choice comes responsibility. What about those that have no insurance? If you die, NP. If you don't, somebody picks up the tab. As such, when you live with Mom & Dad and they can be held liable for your tab, they might make some rules you don't like. I can see the argument that "I want my freedom". HOWEVER, I can also see the retort "Then be responsible for yourself". After all, if you go to the hospital and cannot pay, they can't simply wheel you to the curb. If they can, then you are responsible for yourself and thus, the choice i 100% yours. That I am 40yo but living under Mom & Dad's roof makes me subject to their meddling should they choose. When I move out, I can have hookers over every night as long as I can afford it. Do I wish the govt had less meddling in my life? Of course. Do I wish the govt tried to "help" me less? Definitely. Do I like it when NYC banned trans fats? Sure. Am I willing to give up the govt assistance and be willing to be wheeled to the curb if I cannot pay the hospital when I weigh 800#? Yes.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

If your argument is strictly premium cost then you should look at all the accident statistics.
    Men statistically are more likely to crash than women.
    You city folk are responsible for 69% of crashes which cost us dumb ole country boys and girls.

Here is a report you can sink your teeth into.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/811208.pdf[URL

Happy Spyder owner
    Mark

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Your suggestion that anyone DESERVES to die is out of line.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StriperKing View Post
    OOPS, sorry. Please let me make it up to you, lol. Seriously my bad for assuming but love your point of view.
    Thank you. It is a persons choice to be safe or not be safe. What some people feel is safe may not be what others feel is safe. I have received a lot of comments about being in full gear on 90 degree days, that is my choice, it is how I feel safe and I like my skin. The people in flip flops and shorts and a brain bowl, feel confident in their abilities and feel safe like that, who am I to judge or comment on it. Personal responsibility, I have an 8 and 14 year old waiting at home for me and they need their mom to come home safely.

PS.... I updated my avatar again to avoid the whole guy/girl thing.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madozier View Post
    If your argument is strictly premium cost then you should look at all the accident statistics.
    Men statistically are more likely to crash than women.
    You city folk are responsible for 69% of crashes which cost us dumb ole country boys and girls.

Here is a report you can sink your teeth into.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/811208.pdf[URL
    Good point. I think that you are condoning that if you are will to pay more for insurance, you can choose not to wear a lid! Perhaps helmet and no helmet pool of funds. If you choose to live in the City, you have higher premiums .
    Like the "I smoke too" statement. That is OK, but not next to me in my work place. Legislation to give me the choice to have clean air is not a bad thing. That is why we VOTE for the government to make decisions for the good of the majority. Thank you to our troops for allowing that to be our right.

arntufun

Thank you. It is a persons choice to be safe or not be safe. What some people feel is safe may not be what others feel is safe. I have received a lot of comments about being in full gear on 90 degree days, that is my choice, it is how I feel safe and I like my skin. The people in flip flops and shorts and a brain bowl, feel confident in their abilities and feel safe like that, who am I to judge or comment on it. Personal responsibility, I have an 8 and 14 year old waiting at home for me and they need their mom to come home safely.

PS.... I updated my avatar again to avoid the whole guy/girl thing.

Riding in a tank top in your new Avatar huh ??????? Your my kind of girl.

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 254 (2).jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Riding in a tank top in your new Avatar huh ??????? Your my kind of girl.

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 254 (2).jpg
    That was a picture that made it to the papers when I rode in Rolling Thunder this year. I was very specificly told NOT to ride in full gear because I would not get over 30 MPH.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I will never ride again without a helmet on. I am typing this response from my bed in the hospital. I was wearing my helmet and distinctly remember the thud of my helmet hitting the pavement.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    My wife and I will never ride again without a helmet on. I am typing this response from my bed in the hospital. I was wearing my helmet and distinctly remember the thud of my helmet hitting the pavement.

Are you ok ????? A little details if you would please

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsquid View Post
    OH MY, are you OK? What happened? Is your wife OK?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you guys going to be all right???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    Don't you think that's just a bit out of line in a friendly forum??
    Pull lt in Bro!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After scooping my neighbor's brains up in a dust pan after he crashed in front of my house several years back and listening to the dreaded death rattle as I was holding him in my arms.....Yea, Helmets are a "GOOD" thing!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the concern. Please look under Arkansas chapter "Ride of 16 June."

My right leg is broken up pretty badly with plates and lots of screw in the fibula near the ankle and tibia broken at the knee. 12 weeks of zero weight on the foot. It was an accident in the parking lot as we were just finishing the ryde. My wife driving with me as passenger. I was thrown off the Spyder and the rear wheel gqot my foot between the curb twisting and really mangling things inside. She hit the throttle instead of the brake and she panicked and forgot the kill switch. She has a few minor bruises, but her ego was hurt bad.

Spyder Garage

Default Hate to rain on the parade but local post this morning...

RUSHVILLE, Ohio -- Troopers are investigating a double fatal crash involving a motorcycle in Fairfield County Monday evening.
    Troopers were called to the 9600 block of Pleasantville Road in Rushville on a report of a serious crash at about 5 p.m. Monday. June 18
    Troopers tell NBC4 that, died in the crash.
    According to the initial investigation, the 2012 Can-Am Spyder was traveling on Pleasantville Road when it struck a driveway culvert. They were ejected from the motorcycle. They were pronounced dead at the scene.
    Troopers say the man and woman were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
    At this time it is unclear who was operating the vehicle at the time of the crash, troopers say.
    No other information was immediately available.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/jun/...un-ar-1075443/
    The Girlz,
    2015 Red RT-S SE5
    2015 Denim Blue ST-Limited SE5
    Black 2010 RT-622