Spyder Garage

Default Can I use Windex as a cleaner for the w/shield and body panels?

I'm a new Spyder owner and would like to know if I can use Windex on my wind shield AND the body of the RT-S? My ryde is a 2012 Viper Red SE5 and I'm looking at it thinking; hummmmmm .... Windex would be perfect to clean it reaalllllllly well, reaalllllllly quick. NOT the seat though. Any advise on the best way to clean my new baby?

Spyder Garage

Do Not use Windex on the windshield!! It will cloud up over time. I wouldn't use it on the plastic parts either. Windex is a glass cleaner and not the best on plastic. You could you Plexus on both windshield and plastic bits as it is made specifically for plastic. It's expensive so I use it only on the windshield. I use Original Bike Spirits on the body of the Spyder. It's quick, easy and looks great. Not only that, when used regularly, dirt and bugs lift off very easily.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

If you detail your cars , treat your spyder the same .

Use only car or motorcycle safe products .

There are so many different products and you are gonna get a lot of different answers to what works . Just don't use dish soap to wash it please.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

You can use the NON ammonia formula Windex,
    But with so many products made for plastic windshields i would use one of them instead, I use Honda spray wax when i can find it, Or Plexus on the whole Trike.
    Many years ago i would only use Pig Snot, Its hard to find now except by mail order.

Spyder Garage

As was said, you can use Windex Multi-surface with Vinegar, but never use regular Windex with Ammonia.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

'210 Plastic Cleaner & Polish', from my experience, is as good as Plexis, but much cheaper. This link tells about it. Recommended By Tulsa Enterprises, the maker of Tulsa windshields. Have used it exclusively on my Goldwing's windshield for 10+ years and it is still in near new condition, expect when that garage light fixture fell and scratched it...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...210cleaner.php

I use it on all plastic and chrome surfaces.

Not sure if that is the best price, but is where I bought it last time.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Plexus does it all
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Ditto on the Plexus and Original Bike Spirits. Like Plexus for the windshield but have found Original Bike Spirits works well on the windshield too.
    Spyder Mods: 23"ultra touring windshield, SpyderAttitude Exhaust, BRP fog Lights, Can Am Wind Deflectors, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Pyle Amplifier w/wired remote, 4x6 Pioneer Speakers, Amber GlorRyders, Spyderpops Missing Air Dam, Joe Florida Amber Accent lighting, Misty Mountain Sheepskin Seat cushion, Custom Dynamics 4" Risers, Street Magic Highway Footrest Brackets,Spyder Footrests, Spyder Driver Footpegs, Spyder Brake Cover, Spyder Shifter Cover, Can Am Hard Bags

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm a typical woman when it comes to this sort of thing. I don't wash my own car; I have someone else do it for me. I had the Windex in my hand thinking it would be a good idea, but gave it a second thought. Glad I asked!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am guilty of using windex. Guess I should find something else for windshield and my helmet windshields.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Plexus on every part of my Spyder, except the seat.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I've been using this lately and I really like it. Not too expensive either.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...s_And_Polishes

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have used Pledge on my windshield, face shield, eye glasses and tupperware for years and think it works great.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

I've seen a number of people mention that Plexus is expensive. I actually don't remember what I paid for it last year when I bought 12 cans so i'm not disputing that it might be more than other cleaners. I keep my bike clean and the windshield gets done at least every other ride and sometimes during a long ride if needed. I'm still on my first can of Plexus, so my question would be how expensive can it be if it last that long? (i understand more miles, more usage)

cleaning method: Wipe down with a damp soft cloth for heavy dirt, plexus the entire bike.

Apparently I have at least 12 years worth.... Yes, i have quantity issues...
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I've been using this lately and I really like it. Not too expensive either.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...s_And_Polishes

Thanks 4 ur help! I'd like to know if the Lucas Oil Slick Mist isn't tooooooo slick and doesn't leave any sort of residue over time?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    I've seen a number of people mention that Plexus is expensive. I actually don't remember what I paid for it last year when I bought 12 cans so i'm not disputing that it might be more than other cleaners. I keep my bike clean and the windshield gets done at least every other ride and sometimes during a long ride if needed. I'm still on my first can of Plexus, so my question would be how expensive can it be if it last that long? (i understand more miles, more usage)

cleaning method: Wipe down with a damp soft cloth for heavy dirt, plexus the entire bike.

Apparently I have at least 12 years worth.... Yes, i have quantity issues...
    I don't always wipe down with water and cloth first. Usually go straight to plexus. I'm not terribly frugal about how much I use, but I wash at least once a month and am only on my second can.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I don't always wipe down with water and cloth first. Usually go straight to plexus. I'm not terribly frugal about how much I use, but I wash at least once a month and am only on my second can.

Yeah, i'm the same as far as wet cloth. Only twice so far to get heavier dirt off. Typically i go right to the plexus. I don't try to be frugal at all...just use what i need...seems to go a long way.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    '210 Plastic Cleaner & Polish', from my experience, is as good as Plexis, but much cheaper. This link tells about it. Recommended By Tulsa Enterprises, the maker of Tulsa windshields. Have used it exclusively on my Goldwing's windshield for 10+ years and it is still in near new condition, expect when that garage light fixture fell and scratched it...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...210cleaner.php

I use it on all plastic and chrome surfaces.

Not sure if that is the best price, but is where I bought it last time.
    That stuff is great and what Tulsa use to sell to clean their windshields. It works great on pretty much everything.

I have a new favorite cleaner/polish and it work great on a windshield and it will repel water like RainX. It works great on all plastic and chrome.
    http://www.ride-onshop.com/product.c...47&product=748

Spyder Garage

210 PLASTIC CLEANER & POLISH ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No Windex anywhere near my bike.
    Maybe on the car windshield, but no where else.
    Only high quality products designed for cleaning all that tupperware, fake chrome, and plexi wind screen.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No Windex within a mile of my spyder. I use turtle wax ice for the plastic leaves no white residue and a glass cleaner that specifies that it is safe for lexan and plastic windshields and also staes that it is safe to use on window tint. I don't know if you can get in the USA but name is :Invisible Glass by Stoner and it also contains a water repellant.

Spyder Garage

The best cleaner for your bike is Honda spray... it leaves an excellent shine and cleans it well... But if you have pin striping, Honda spray is not recommended because it is petroleum based... It is good for everything else, seats, windshield, wheels, the whole deal... Lemon Pledge works great on your windshield and water rolls right off it... You also get the pleasure, if you get caught in the rain, of the pleasant taste of lemons... lol
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-26-2023 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)