Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seal Floorboards and heat management

Can someone with the Seal floorboards comment - does the new floorboards deal with the heat on the right side? It looks like it would.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

I've got the inspector gadget floorboards. They are nicely made, inexpensive and work just fine as floorboards. Unfortunately they did nothing to alter the heat. The lower block off from Spyderpops will reduce the radiator outflow heat and the cat shields will help with heat next to the foot BUT there is still some heat there. Even with the cat shields installed the aluminum casting next to your right foot is almost too hot to touch. With the floorboards you are removing the rubber part of the peg and bolting the floorboard to the metal part of the peg. Metal to metal will conduct heat more than through rubber. I doubt the Seals would be any different.

Spyder Garage

I have the full Seal boards and the only heat issue I have is if I have my foot up on the "highway" peg part. The radiator fan blows out through the right side. I don't notice any other heat issues and I can easily find a place that I don't feel it.

On the plus side, putting my leg in just the right place runs the air all the way to the other leg - Great for winter ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have RT's equipped with Seal Floorboards. They deal quite adequately with the heat on the right side but if you want the most in "heat protection" get the "RT radiator block off plate" from Spyderpops.com. They're relatively inexpensive, highly effective and are a snap to install.

Take care and best of luck, my friend!
    Last edited by Slybird; 06-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks- I have the top side plate from Spyderpops - but did not install them with the three grills as when I looked at it I was not convinced that the top hole was where the heat on the right foot was coming from - rather - I am thinking it is coming from the lower hole. So I still have them just did not install them yet. If these boards do the job I would just keep them out for now as the floor boards really offer something else I am looking for too.

Thanks for the replies.
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i've got both block-offs on and i just put on the floorboards yesterday from inspector gadgets i also did some other heat blocking ideas that i had in my head so all put together now going to dealership this a.m. and when i get home this p.m. i will report on the out come.hoping its a good one.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    i've got both block-offs on and i just put on the floorboards yesterday from inspector gadgets i also did some other heat blocking ideas that i had in my head so all put together now going to dealership this a.m. and when i get home this p.m. i will report on the out come.hoping its a good one.
    Definitely interested in hearing your results. My dealer is a little timid when it comes to the block-off plates. The dealership is concerned that if my engine overheats and causes a warranty issue that the warranty may be voided because of the block-off plate.

After reading all of the positive block-off plate reviews, I installed the lower block-off plate anyway. I think that I actually have more area for the hot air to escape with the lower block-off plate installed and the underside panels removed than there was originally before I did the mod. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hoping for good results.

Spyder Garage

I recently put on Seal Floorboards and I was amazed the difference they make at Hwy speeds. Around town they help some and this is only because of the stop and go in town and the heat is much more noticeable at slow speeds. I do not have a block off plate yet but is is on my mods list for sure!
    I recommend the seals and John is great asset to the the community for many reasons besides fabricating such a great product. I can not comment on other floorboards but any floorboard is better and more comfortable than the stock pegs.
    I hope this helps and happy riding!

patrick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am going to give it a try with the Seal floorboards on both machines. I will report back what I find. Will try initially without any block offs then add the top if it is needed.

Thanks all for your comments!

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

well all is good now with the floorboards with the heat sheilds on both upper and lower work great no hot foot.plus temp stayed in the 4-5 bars area the whole time.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You guys are right - John at Seal Floorboards is GREAT to work with. Placed the order and had them shipped on the same day. Outstanding that they were in stock.

If you have an SE5 - the install will go VERY fast - like 30 minutes for both. I was amazed how rigid and sturdy these are. I am no small person and have no issue standing on them.

Now, if you have the SM (as I do on one that I installed first) - I will go along with a poster from another thread that said this is not for the feign of heart with the shift pedal replacement! That took a couple hours with the breaking of the locktite on the pegs, getting the peddle to operate properly, and adjusting the shift linkage for the new peddle. But I will say that John kept himself available by phone to talk through the issues I was seeing.

Then - the test ride. While in and of themselves the Seal floorboards don't change the heat handling on the right foot - what I found was that it was VERY easy to now position the foot in a comfortable place where the heat was no longer an issue. Too, it was more like a snowmobile where you had infinite places to put your foot so you were not dealing with the heat. It was also much more comfortable to move the foot into highway position by sliding them up the floorboard rather than trying to find the wings in mid air at 50 miles per hour. Yes, you will need the TOP block off plate now for sure as that is a LOT of heat dumping out when you put your foot in the highway position!

Ironic - took a machine that's birthright was a snowmobile - that was made into a street machine, then do a mod to make it feel more like a snowmobile

Overall, very happy on our 30 mile test ride with the Seal floorboard!

Today's install - LED's on the fenders of both machines and wire with harness to act as directionals.

Kinda quiet in the forums with everyone heading to Durango!

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the radiator shield on my RT and highly recommend SpyderPops. I had mine put on at SpyderFest when I bought the RT so haven't ever ridden without them. They weren't available when I had my '09 RS and first invented the Seal FloorBoards, but I never noticed a heat problem on it. IMHO I believe the Seals do help in deflecting heat when extending one's legs. At any rate............

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    You guys are right - John at Seal Floorboards is GREAT to work with. Placed the order and had them shipped on the same day. Outstanding that they were in stock.

If you have an SE5 - the install will go VERY fast - like 30 minutes for both. I was amazed how rigid and sturdy these are. I am no small person and have no issue standing on them.

Now, if you have the SM (as I do on one that I installed first) - I will go along with a poster from another thread that said this is not for the feign of heart with the shift pedal replacement! That took a couple hours with the breaking of the locktite on the pegs, getting the peddle to operate properly, and adjusting the shift linkage for the new peddle. But I will say that John kept himself available by phone to talk through the issues I was seeing.

Then - the test ride. While in and of themselves the Seal floorboards don't change the heat handling on the right foot - what I found was that it was VERY easy to now position the foot in a comfortable place where the heat was no longer an issue. Too, it was more like a snowmobile where you had infinite places to put your foot so you were not dealing with the heat. It was also much more comfortable to move the foot into highway position by sliding them up the floorboard rather than trying to find the wings in mid air at 50 miles per hour. Yes, you will need the TOP block off plate now for sure as that is a LOT of heat dumping out when you put your foot in the highway position!

Ironic - took a machine that's birthright was a snowmobile - that was made into a street machine, then do a mod to make it feel more like a snowmobile

Overall, very happy on our 30 mile test ride with the Seal floorboard!

Today's install - LED's on the fenders of both machines and wire with harness to act as directionals.

Kinda quiet in the forums with everyone heading to Durango!
    You are right dawg, if you are installing the RT SM5 Seals, you need to be able and used to working on your bike and be able to jack it up or have your Dealer do it for you. It's not for the novice like me but those with skills like you can handle it. Now, it's time for you and your wife to go out and......

Ride in comfort,

john
    Seal FloorBoard

Spyder Garage

I have the deluxe Sealboards and installed Spyder Pop's block off plate on the right side as well as the converter shields. Very Comfortable, No heat...
    'Bikeless'

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Delux Seal floor boards and love them; however, if I put my feet up high on the upper part of the boards, the heat shoots straight up my jeans. not pleasant here in Texas! I can at least reposition my feet now and get a lot more area to 'press down" on the boards when I am pushing into tight curves........ My feet thanked me a lot when they were installed. Just don't expect them to also block the torch of heat coming at you on the right side.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    I have the Delux Seal floor boards and love them; however, if I put my feet up high on the upper part of the boards, the heat shoots straight up my jeans. not pleasant here in Texas! I can at least reposition my feet now and get a lot more area to 'press down" on the boards when I am pushing into tight curves........ My feet thanked me a lot when they were installed. Just don't expect them to also block the torch of heat coming at you on the right side.
    I would highly recommend the Spyderpops radiator cover, very effective, inexpensive and easy to install. Can't do anything about the Texas heat but they will really help you.........

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I would highly recommend the Spyderpops radiator cover, very effective, inexpensive and easy to install. Can't do anything about the Texas heat but they will really help you.........

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    Thanks John..............that is on my mods list for sure. Can't tell you how much I love the Seals............makes getting on an off soooooooooo much easier and my feet definitely do a happy dance with so many places to put them.
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    Thanks John..............that is on my mods list for sure. Can't tell you how much I love the Seals............makes getting on an off soooooooooo much easier and my feet definitely do a happy dance with so many places to put them.
    Oh how our feet dooooo love to do the happy dance! You'll really dance ALL over your Seals with the Spyderpop radiator shield.

Ride in comfort,

john
    Seal FloorBoards