Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

Default i wanna ride with shorts

I love riding with my shorts,, But the heat is killing me.Is it from the fan or the side of the motor,, Give me some pointers please

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My pointer is, don't ride in shorts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    My pointer is, don't ride in shorts.
    Ditto

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unless someone rides with a full face helmet, boots, gloves, and armored textile or leather pants and jacket 100% of the time, aren't we being a little quick to judge? The fact is in southern LA, if I tried to ride fully protected in the summer I'd probably ride into a tree because of the sweat in my eyes. On a two wheeler the case against shorts specifically, is much stronger as a simple misstep can have you on the ground with a hot muffler against bare skin, thus most bikers will ride with jeans and t-shirts, and how many of those casting stones ride in t-shirts? Anyway, so far the nanny state has still left it up to us whether we choose to have our legs protected, semi-protected, or unprotected and I will respect my fellow riders right to ride with the protection they deem appropriate.

OK, I'm off the soapbox.....Jimmy Neutron; to your original question, try looking at SpyderPops (sponser of this site), they have gizmos to redirect the heat that have gotten rave reviews from users. I plan to put thier stuff on mine soon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    Unless someone rides with a full face helmet, boots, gloves, and armored textile or leather pants and jacket 100% of the time, aren't we being a little quick to judge? The fact is in southern LA, if I tried to ride fully protected in the summer I'd probably ride into a tree because of the sweat in my eyes. On a two wheeler the case against shorts specifically, is much stronger as a simple misstep can have you on the ground with a hot muffler against bare skin, thus most bikers will ride with jeans and t-shirts, and how many of those casting stones ride in t-shirts? Anyway, so far the nanny state has still left it up to us whether we choose to have our legs protected, semi-protected, or unprotected and I will respect my fellow riders right to ride with the protection they deem appropriate.

OK, I'm off the soapbox.....Jimmy Neutron; to your original question, try looking at SpyderPops (sponser of this site), they have gizmos to redirect the heat that have gotten rave reviews from users. I plan to put thier stuff on mine soon.
    AMEN, and DITTO- If your old enough to ride, you are going to make your own choices.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live in Florida and ride with shorts when it's hot, which is most of the time down here. It might make some people feel good to think that jeans or some plastic on your knees is going to make a huge difference when a car hits you. Yes, there is a slight safety advantage but how much safer are you really, 2%? We spend 20 to 30K on these things to ENJOY them. Comfortable riding adds much more to that enjoyment. The OP didn't ask for opinions on riding apparel or safety issues. he asked about heat which is a MAJOR anti enjoyment issue on Spyders that has NOT been addressed by BRP in any meaningful way. I'd be less inclined of that opinion if I lived in Canada.
    To the OP---there really isn't any magic bullet anti heat item. The lower block off plate and cat shields by Spyderpops will help foot/leg but not seat. Short term try Baker Air Wings and remove the lower windshield deflectors if on an RT. Exhaust wrap could also help.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post

Agree.
    I have yet to meet anyone that is truly 100% ATGATT. Easy to say ATGATT, but tougher to adhere to. Sorry folks, mesh isn't ATGATT.

As for the heat issue, ISCI and SPYDERPOPS and BAKER AIR WINGS are site sponsors and have heat management products that will help you Jimmy Neutron. I use both the ISCI and SPYDERPOPS products on my RT and I love em!
    Last edited by SteveMac; 06-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Agree.
    .....Sorry folks, mesh isn't ATGATT.
    Gotta disagree on this one, old buddy. Most quality mesh gear is as abrasion resistant and well armored as solid textile gear. None of them gives the protection of leathers, but for normal riding, or even a typical fall, they work well. I had the same misgivings about the mesh when I first considered it. Something you can see through just can't protect you. In those days that was true for some brands with very large mesh, but it doesn't apply to most brands anymore. The biggest drawback to mesh, IMO, is the possibility of snagging in a fall, but even that won't rip open most good brands of mesh gear nowadays.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not try a set of mesh riding pants?
    Sorry...
    (Not a big fan of shorts, flip-flops, tank tops, etc... when riding... ATGATT! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

ATGATT.......
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Senior Moment
    Spyder Garage

I knew when i said riding with shorts I was goona get some crap.. But riding in shorts is like riding the spider.. It makes me feel goooooooooooodddddddddddddddddd.. well except for the heat thing lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We know... I guess it's just a quick reaction to remind one another to always be safe out there...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neutron View Post
    I knew when i said riding with shorts I was goona get some crap.. But riding in shorts is like riding the spider.. It makes me feel goooooooooooodddddddddddddddddd.. well except for the heat thing lol
    Well I'll just say I agree, no shorts. But a pair of ALL mesh pants (not overpants) commando underneath beats shorts anyday

That said, Try a fan can from ISCI. Helps a bunch. Spyderpops heat management system also helps in a different way. I even know people who have both all mixed and matched.

Anyhow, on the shorts thing, you were right to assume you'd catch some flak for that, but please don't dismiss it. We're not saying it for OUR sake.
    Last edited by Sny; 06-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know you probably shouldn't but I ride in shorts. I don't have a problem with the heat but I ride an RT (and love it). I did add spyderpops blockoff plate but still to hot to wear sandels. But, I do wear a helmet at all times. To each their own.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Well I'll just say I agree, no shorts. But a pair of ALL mesh pants (not overpants) commando underneath beats shorts anyday

That said, Try a fan can from ISCI. Helps a bunch. Spyderpops heat management system also helps in a different way. I even know people who have both all mixed and matched.

Anyhow, on the shorts thing, you were right to assume you'd catch some flak for that, but please don't dismiss it. We're not saying it for OUR sake.
    Mike do you remember some one in our group ride did the 160 mile ride in shorts. I could never ride in shorts just gets too hot but Dave M. rides his 2011 RSS using the fan-can does. He siad it gets hot but is OK.

Spyder Garage

The heat is bad for sure; a bee up the shorts or worse yet a spill on the road will make you wish you had mesh.
    You decide

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Air wings, block off plate. Should help. I usually get pulled over for ryding how I want

Ryde naked!

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    The heat is bad for sure; a bee up the shorts or worse yet a spill on the road will make you wish you had mesh.
    You decide
    Been there, done that. Bee right up my shorts, thigh.......... (and beyond ). Stung me more than once, and I unloaded myself from a BMW K1200LT faster than anyone that has stopped from 65 MPH and dismounted in history. Thank goodness for the anti-lock brakes, even back in 2000. My buddies got a great laugh at me dancing along side a 4 lane road in Virginia, once they knew I was "somewhat" OK that is.
    Should have learned my lesson, however
    I still like to sometimes ride in shorts, but this Spyder does not make that comfortable, due to the heat. So, for the Spyder rides, I've been wearing light jeans.
    I've never cared to dress in protective gear in warm weather, although I know it would be better to do so. Always wear a helmet though.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't ride in shorts, If you seen my legs you'll know why.

On a Motorcycle you can go down at any time! So shorts is a risk. With a Trike it's rare.
    I see some people dress up like their going to the space station, Just me but if i were ''that'' ,[like they say in Brooklyn] ''A''scared, that i was going to get hurt every time i went out riding and dress up in a protective bubble I'll radder stay home and watch Oprah on TV.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Nothing I'm going to say is in judgment of your desire to ride in shorts. I ride *bicycles too, and that's a sport that's all about riding in shorts and feeling good. What's not so good is when you go down, and most who ride have. Simply put, riding in shorts may make you feel goooood, but should something happen - ROAD RASH is NEVER good. That said, on the feel good side of things - should you ever meet the pavement you'll get to wear shorts while the road rash is healing

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As far as safety is concerned, we all know that ATTGATT is the safest way to go. But safety is a personal decision that each of us makes and, thankfully, the government hasn't totally eliminated our freedom of choice as yet.

I don't believe, however, that shorts are the coolest thing to ride in. Sitting under a shade tree in the back yard, shorts are cool. But straddling a 100 horsepower engine while sitting on a seat covered with man-made fabric and having hot air from a radiator on one side and an oil cooler on the other all the while with my legs exposed to the sun - well, I'd rather have long pants on . Spyderpop's heat shield, the fan can, pipe wraps, all of that will help a little but that engine generates heat and it has to go somewhere. There's no way to totally avoid it anymore than you can totally avoid the sun, so my solution is to wear long pants and boots.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    ATGATT.......
    What does ATGATT mean - still kinda new here!! Thanks.

Spyder Garage

All The Gear, All The Time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why not try a set of mesh riding pants?
    Sorry...
    (Not a big fan of shorts, flip-flops, tank tops, etc... when riding... ATGATT! )
    Nothing worse than having a bee fly up your shorts while crusing a high speeds. Talking from experience.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a line between safety and comfort. The Spyder is already the safest motorcycle on the road. and I wouldn't mind wearing a mesh jacket.. If anyone made mesh jackets that weren't black or dark grey. Sorry, but seriously? This stuff is supposed to keep you cool,and they only choose the darkest, and hottest of colors? In the 120 degree summers we usually have here in Vegas, if you wear anything more than a tshirt and jeans in the shade, you are going to overheat, and even then, there is no guarantee. But if you don't wear something more, your skin will get burnt to a crisp by the sun, let alone the heat between your legs from a motorcycle. sorry, but in some environments, ATGATT can actually do more harm than good.