Spyder Garage

Default Change sparklugs and Wires

Did it yesterday afternoon. Took on the challenge of changing sparkplugs and wires on missus' '08 GS. After struggling with getting the pesky screws out to remove the airbox I remembered a handy little kit I had on my workbench. I bought it at Home Depot for $4.98. The little ratchet handle is small enough to fit in next to the tubes to break the screws loose, or snug them back up. The little knob on top makes it much easier to thread the screws in or out.

As a side note after all the tugging it took to get the wires off the plugs I understand, and echo, recommendations to replace the OEM wires when replacing sparkplugs

Spyder Garage

Default Changing Plugs and Wires

I have a 2008 GS Manual w/ 20,000 miles, hindle / K&N. The bike was starting to miss at low speed and idle, hesitate when taking off from a standstill. The manaul says to change plugs at 20000 miles. I talked to my dealer in Waterbury, Ct (Land & Sea) and he said they are starting to see these bikes come in for this issue, plugs and wires should fix it. I bought the wires and plugs off e-bay (wires BajaRon performance wire set $89.99), my dealer said these wires would be much better quality than OEM and less epensive (dealer wants $93.00 plus tax). I bought the recommended (per manual) NGK DCPR9E from e-bay as well (around $4.00 per plug). Note - BajaRon has wire & plug combo set, which is probably a better deal because there a better NGK plug (I think). Also note when i took the original plugs out they were a different model (DCPR8E) but look identical. The job was not that hard to do, the Air Box has to be loosened and moved to the side a little to get to the front cylinder plug. After changing the wires and plugs the bike is now running fine. I think the issue was really the wires as the pligs looked fine. I did see some posts that when the wires go they start to arc, not sure if that was happening but my guess is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrider View Post
    Did it yesterday afternoon. Took on the challenge of changing sparkplugs and wires on missus' '08 GS. After struggling with getting the pesky screws out to remove the airbox I remembered a handy little kit I had on my workbench. I bought it at Home Depot for $4.98. The little ratchet handle is small enough to fit in next to the tubes to break the screws loose, or snug them back up. The little knob on top makes it much easier to thread the screws in or out.

As a side note after all the tugging it took to get the wires off the plugs I understand, and echo, recommendations to replace the OEM wires when replacing sparkplugs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschaub View Post
    I have a 2008 GS Manual w/ 20,000 miles, hindle / K&N. The bike was starting to miss at low speed and idle, hesitate when taking off from a standstill. The manaul says to change plugs at 20000 miles. I talked to my dealer in Waterbury, Ct (Land & Sea) and he said they are starting to see these bikes come in for this issue, plugs and wires should fix it. I bought the wires and plugs off e-bay (wires BajaRon performance wire set $89.99), my dealer said these wires would be much better quality than OEM and less epensive (dealer wants $93.00 plus tax). I bought the recommended (per manual) NGK DCPR9E from e-bay as well (around $4.00 per plug). Note - BajaRon has wire & plug combo set, which is probably a better deal because there a better NGK plug (I think). Also note when i took the original plugs out they were a different model (DCPR8E) but look identical. The job was not that hard to do, the Air Box has to be loosened and moved to the side a little to get to the front cylinder plug. After changing the wires and plugs the bike is now running fine. I think the issue was really the wires as the pligs looked fine. I did see some posts that when the wires go they start to arc, not sure if that was happening but my guess is yes.
    I did my plugs and wires at 17,000 when I did the front tires to be safe and plan on changing both of them again with the next tire change! My plugs also looked Great- Nice Light golden brown.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dschaub View Post
    I think you'll find my custom wire set a real advantage over the stock BRP wires. The reason I hightly recommend the Iridium spark plugs over the standard copper version is 1- the Iridium plugs will go about 3 times the distance & 2- the Iridium plugs will perform much better over their lifetime.

Why install wires the can go 50k with plugs that need changing every 15k? Plus the Iridium spark plugs are actually less expensive to boot! 3- sets of OEM plugs at ~ $8.00 per set = $24.00 vs. 1- Set of Iridiums at $17. Of course you'll miss out on all the joy of changing out spark plugs if you get the Iridium version.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta agree

I get my oil and filters from you, and go 4000 miles between changes. Gonna get wires and plugs from you soon. Got 9000 miles so far!

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I Got mine from Baja Ron earlier this year and I love them !!! When it comes time to do anymore maintence I will be ordering from him again. He is very knowledgeable and helpful . The plugs and wires ROCK as well I suggest them like everyone else on here does.

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

How many labor hours do dealers charge for plugs/wires change? I used to be able to do all that stuff but creaky joints cause a lot of probs now. About all I can do now is oil/filters and grease job.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinspyder View Post
    I Got mine from Baja Ron earlier this year and I love them !!! When it comes time to do anymore maintence I will be ordering from him again. He is very knowledgeable and helpful . The plugs and wires ROCK as well I suggest them like everyone else on here does.

Great vendor. Helped me big time in pinch. Spyder is still running strong. Far better than stock.

Josh