Spyder Garage

Default Taller rider needs some advice...

Hi,

Looking to get a RS within the next few weeks and after sitting on one today, the dealer mentioned something about a floor/base board to help with the kind of awkward position/feel I had for the brake.

I am 6'4, so was curious what other non-vertically challenged Spyder owners have done to help them with seating position?

Thanks.

Kevyn
    aka MindlessMuse

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Kevyn,
    I believe that ISCI makes floorobards for the RD that have some vertical adjustment... They're a site sponsor, so hit the Main page and check them out there.
    (I've got an RT, so I 'm sorry that I don't know more about those 'Boards... )
    Between those, some handlebar risers and a taller windsheid, you should be good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've sat on an RS that had the ISCI floorboards. Wow! They were gorgeous! And definitely give your legs more room. And like a lot of mods for the Spyder, they aren't cheap. But, you get what you pay for. All the ISCI stuff is very high quality.

I guess I'm lucky I'm short. I also like the foot pegs. But, if the Spyder is comfortable for someone short like me, the seating position might not be too comfortable for someone tall.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'4" & bought a RS before the RT was out. I spent $6K trying to make the RS comfortable, and never managed it. I sold it and bought a RT.

My advice is you will be better off with an entry level RT than a fully decked out RS. Nothing will make the RS a RT.

I had floorboards, 5" risers, Corbin seat, Madstad windshield, Kury/KewlMetal road pegs, Kury pegs & grips, and tons more.

I have the tall windshield, a Corbin seat, and Sealfloorboards on the RT, and it's fully dialed in.

Don't let anyone talk you into a RS - spend the farkle money and buy the A/C RT - you won't regret the expense.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the same problem. My legs severely cramp because of being all crunched up on the rs. Handlebar risers are a must. I just ordered a set of pegs and am in the process of fabricating a highway peg setup that looks much nicer than what you can get and actually gets my feet on the outside of the cowling down low just behing the fenders. A highway peg setup and risers and you're good to go.

Forgot to mention to take into consideration your riding style. When I'm running the really tight and twisty back mountain roads I am often hanging off the side of the seat in the curves with me barely able to reach the brake with my toe. I burned my rear tire off just cornering in 3800 miles. The RS will rail around the corners just like a sled. If you're a cruiser an rt might be better. BUT, with a couple of hundred dollars in comfort mods you can make the rs plenty comfortable. The brp comfort seat smokes the corbin. We tried the corbin and it was only on the bike for 15 minutes. Sold it immediately afterwards. It moved our riding position up and forward and is a terrible seat for aggressive riding. Some people love them. It just wasn't for me, or my wife. Try to move your butt off the side while cornering and you'll understand exactly what I mean if you're sitting on a corbin. Good luck and keep asking questions. Figure out what kind of rider you are, what you plan on doing with the spyder (long cross country trips, day riding, mountans and twisties, mostly highway) and it will instantly put you in the right direction.
    Last edited by vtspyder; 06-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessMuse View Post
    Hi,

Looking to get a RS within the next few weeks and after sitting on one today, the dealer mentioned something about a floor/base board to help with the kind of awkward position/feel I had for the brake.

I am 6'4, so was curious what other non-vertically challenged Spyder owners have done to help them with seating position?

Thanks.

Kevyn
    aka MindlessMuse
    I'm as tall as you and what I did was lower and set back the pegs that made the difference I needed I also made highway pegs and floorboards but I don't use them much there are some advantages to an rs like 200lbs less weight throttle body's controlled by a cable and not a brain turn signal switch that work better and i would buy a sm the posts on se problems is 20 to one ,it's much simpler no you can't make an rt out of an rs but not everyone wants a goldwing type bike or wants the extra complexity of all the electronics i ride to get away if i want music and cb and nav and phone ill stay home ,but an rs is plenty comfortable on its own and doesn't need risers for tall guys I do 400 mi days easy on mine I'm sure this will stir the. Nest for those that think the rt is an upgrade , and of course one last thing I have 2 new RS's for the price of one loaded rt so my wife and I can both ride our own priceless
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

…...and there are riders that actually LIKE sportbikes. I bought a ST1100 when I was about 40 - bike lasted 80 miles and 1/2 day, before I got rid of it.

There are rental agencies that rent both RS & RTs - rent each for a day, and decide which fits your style. I have long legs, and a shorter torso - so nothing would ever make the RS a long distance ride for me.

If everyone liked the same stuff, life would be REALLY boring.

But then, you DID ask for our opinions.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Definitely gives me something to think about. I never thought about the RT, but after doing some more research I am going to take another look.

Thanks again everyone!

Spyder Garage

So after another visit to a dealer and some actual seat time has worked out very well as I will take delivery of a 2012 RS (white) this Saturday.

The dealer had one on showroom floor with all the mods mentioned (floorboards, riser, windshield) and it seemed to fit just the way I needed. I did try a RT, but found it to be a little uncomfortable and outside of my needs at this time. Although I am sure that there will be one in my future at some point.

Again, thanks to everyone for their replies as they helped a lot.

-Kevyn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I'm 6'4" & bought a RS before the RT was out. I spent $6K trying to make the RS comfortable, and never managed it. I sold it and bought a RT.

Don't let anyone talk you into a RS - spend the farkle money and buy the A/C RT - you won't regret the expense.
    I'm six foot even and love my RS.

Buy what you want, put less worry on the money than the comfort. And no an RS is not an RT, don't confuse the two.

V
    Phantom F3-S
    Maker of shiny objects...

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'3". I tried both RT and RS and ended up buying an RT, even though the riding position felt more natural for me on the RS. The RT had many plus sides and matched a bit more my riding style.

It felt cramped however, the seating position was way too close to the handlebars, and I could not press the brake pedal without rising my entire leg first.

After 2-3 weeks I sat on an RT that had the comfort seat installed and bought it the following weekend. It makes a huge difference by moving your sitting position back and also up a bit.

You loose some lumbar support and some of the fairing protection, but these are minor annoyances compared to the comfort you gain.

Bottom line: if the seating position bugs you on the RT, it can be fixed or improved.

...Ben...

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Terrific!!! Bet you can't wait to get out on it!! White is my next favorite color to yellow!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Terrific!!! Bet you can't wait to get out on it!! White is my next favorite color to yellow!
    When I get a New one it will be white or the Next Unknown Great color to come in 2013?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!