Thread: Short rydes

Spyder Garage

Default Short rydes

Anyone interested in short -non-rain - rydes this summer? One or two bikes - not interested in larger group rides.

PM me.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

LOL. You crack me up Dragonrider!

You are so adverse to rain, you must be made entirely of sugar!

Spyder Garage

To me, riding a bike is akin to drinking a fine single malt - occasionally, and at the appropriate time. Motorcycling up here is enjoyed without rain - where rain is not the gully washers of the East side of the Rockies, but soaking all-day wet.

On a tour, one is occasionally forced to ride in the rain - never enjoyable, like blended scotch - tolerated. One doesn't want to stop and enjoy the scenery, or venture onto unknown roads in the rain, one only wants to get the day done and get shelter.

If I had to live where I was born, I would not be a bike rider….. but that's just me. I'm well past the "adventure" stage, and look for the sustaining memories. My adventure stage was left on the carrier decks of my youth.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Great morning ride

Up at 5am, and on the road by 6 - left the Portland area for The Dalles - nice breakfast at Cousin's, then back on the road. 197 South to 216 (just west of Maupin) then west on 216 to 26. Took the Timothy Lake turn to 224 (thanks SpyderPops for the belt guard!!) - note 224 has about 12 miles of gravel - to Estacada and 221 to Molalla, Canby, & home by 1:30 - including a breakfast, lunch, & gas stop (plus a few pics around Timothy Lake.

IMG_0703.jpg

Great ride - 260 miles, 47 to 58 degrees, mixed sun and light clouds - every thing's green, and I only picked up 4 or 5 bug splatters - lots of twisties, and otherwise perfect roads - except for the initial stretch of superslab between Portland and The Dalles - even there, traffic was very light, wind was calm, the rivers and lakes high, and Multnomah Falls spectacular.

Enjoy the ride (without rain )
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Don't get it

I see all the posts regarding Bike week, Durango, etc - all with hundreds or thousands of people… When I ride, I want to go places where people aren't. I know lots of paved roads you can ride on all day and perhaps see one car (probably a pickup tho). I don't even like riding through the city….. but I can be on back roads in under 5 minutes, and stay outside congestion all day. Sun, roads, smells, purring bike, and tunes - the way is should be….
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 06-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Yesterday was a perfect riding day - sunny, 72, and most folks were working - so I took off for Detroit lake, via Silverton. Great ride, beautiful country, and almost no traffic. Probably should have gone to Estacada, and followed the river, but the farmlands were just fine…. Surprisingly few bugs again - can't talk about any watering holes - I stopped at the Dam, and Costco for gas, on the way home - other than that, it was just the ride…..
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Yesterday (6/20) was another perfect day, and I couldn't resist taking the back roads up to Westport, and taking the ferry across the Columbia - then back on 14 to Longview & home. Great ride, and I managed to stay off the superslab most of the day - if you haven't taken the Wahkiakum Ferry, add it to your "must do" list.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Rain yesterday, rain today, rain tomorrow - so she sits inside, warm & dry, awaiting (at least some) sun….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

On my way out the door for Canon Beach - lunch on the beach, then home again….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I'm going out this afternoon to ride the Nestucca River route from Yamhill to Sheridan - it's a one lane (paved) road that's little traveled. Only been on it once before, so it should be an adventure!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Anytime you're in the area

Remember, we have lots of Southern Oregon/Northern Calif goat trails to show you.

Spyder Garage

Probably should plan on coming down for a week & hit the "day runs" with you & Vaughn…. it's 234 miles just to get down there - IF I took the super slab. We really enjoyed that 199 bypass you showed us last time!!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

The joy of being from the Northwet! Too hot to ride today - so I'll wait for the cooler evening, take the Canby Ferry & putter along the Willamette River to Newberg, then home. Temp should settle back to 70ish +/- by then, so the riding will be decent.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Managed to get the home to the Canby Ferry to Yamhill - home loop done yesterday morning - before it go too hot. Going out again today, just haven't figured out where yet.

Took it to the Campus this morning (teach at UOP) - you would have thought I drove up in some kind of exotic rig. More comments that I've had in over a year...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Took a friend on the Westport Ferry - Long Beach - Astoria - Seaside loop yesterday. Saw a little mist, but all-in-all, it was a great riding day - mostly overcast and a high of 71. Traffic on the Coast, and going to the coast (opposite of us) was horrific, but it's a loop well worth taking. Plan on a whole day (the ferry only leaves at 15 past the hour & $3/bike), and Dugan's has fresh halibut on the menu!!

IMG_0711.jpgIMG_0714.jpg
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I have been inundated with questions and comments over the last few trips - seems the local interest in Spyders is on the increase! Most of these folks "are seriously considering buying one, but have never been able to talk to an owner"…. Well, I've sent them all to SpyderLovers - rode the Canby Ferry this morning, and the Deck Hand had to ask a couple to shut up and drive, because their questions were impeding traffic!! (LoL)

We're fortunate to have three ferry's close by - they make great short trips for the grandkids!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Got up early this morning and did the Hood River - Government Camp loop, about 190 miles, or a tank and 1/2. Bit chilly to start, but perfect by the end of the run. When it's nice up here, it's nice all day…..

I'll send maps of any of my routes, if you PM me.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

It's been too hot to ride any distance for the last few days. It actually hit 108 here!!! So the RT stays under cover too.

This week looks like it should drop back to normal (75 - 85), so we should be able to get more road time...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I've mapped and verified three "lunch time" rides in the Tualatin - West Linn - Scholls area. None take more than 45 minutes, all have nice twisty back roads, and a couple have a nice place to stop for a few minutes to eat, read, or just meditate. Let me know & I send you PDF maps.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member