GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ? for anyone from New Mexico

I'm looking into taking US 64 W for our trip to Durango.

How are the roads? any problems finding gas stations?

I think I'm looking to pick up US 64 around Clayton, NM. Different want to go to Taos, been there once and really enjoyed it.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

It's been a few years since I took that road. If you like flat, wide open spaces it would be good but I would think it would be a long ride if the wind is blowing (and it always does). It reminds me of old US 66 before I-40 was built but without the road side attractions. It is around 80 miles of nothing between Clayton and Raton. Getting to Taos it kind of out of the way as well.

Why don't you look at meeting us in Albuquerque and riding up through Santa Fe, Espanola, Chama and Pagosa Springs. Read about it here

Which ever way you go, be safe.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's been more than a few years since I've been from Clayton to Raton but I always kinda enjoyed the trip. Of course, I like all kinds of roads, not very particular. There is one fascinating sight on that road, though, about 2/3 of the way from Clayton. Mount Capulin is a picture book volcano and you can ride to the top of it and walk around the crater. I don't know anywhere else that you can do that. They say you can see 5 states from the top of it and I believe it but it's not like looking at them on a map. They're all the same color and they're hard to tell apart. The last time I was through there I don't believe there was a service station between Clayton and Raton but it's been a long time.

As captblack said, it is a bit out of the way to go to Taos from Raton but if you take the route through Red River, you will see some of the prettiest mountain scenery in the Rockies. It is really beautiful but I agree that you will ride some long, dry straight stretches to get there. Just depends on your tolerance for such and how much you want to see Taos again.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I haven't been to Taos on 64 from the East, but I have been from the West. When you leave Taos, please please please stay on 64 and take it over to Tierre Amarilla and catch 84 to the North. That is an amazingly beautiful ride. Lots of switch-backs, fun curves, and drop-dead beautiful scenery tucked back in the mountains. You won't regret it.

And if you decide to not go to Taos--you could absolutely meet up with us in Albuquerque and be treated to some amazing scenery on the route we're taking, as well. We'll be heading up 84 right there where 64 turns into 84/64 for a while to Chama. But man I love 64 West of Taos. And I love Taos. I was just there Memorial Day weekend doing some white-water rafting down the Rio Grande.

Whatever you do--be safe! And we'll see ya in Durango!

Best,
    Andy

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where will you be y'all be leaving Albuquerque? where is everyone stay in your group?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

US 64 should be in great shape. Last time I was up there,about 2 years ago, they were repaving and adding a lane. There is fuel in Clayton and Raton. Plus there is a tiny town (Des Moines) with a store but fuel there could be scarce. That 80 mile stretch would likley be the longest stretch with out fuel on the route. I believe the worst stretch in the state is US 60, Soccoro to the AZ line, about 155mi without fuel. It can make you sweat a bit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    Where will you be y'all be leaving Albuquerque? where is everyone stay in your group?

The info for link-up and route is here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...069#post464069. 8am Link-Up at the Ramada off Eubank/I-40 in Albuquerque. Most folks are staying at the Ramada on Hotel Drive or the Holiday Inn Express next door.

We'd love to have you join us!!

Best,
    Andy

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.