Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid Installation

Ordered the Bump Skid for my wife's 2012 RT Limited a few weeks ago. I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the bike so I took it to our dealer where we purchased it a little over a month ago. They said the could install it and would be 1 to 1 1/2 hours of labor. So I gave them the plate, instructions, and hardware and decided to wait. After an hour and a half, they said it was finished. I asked for the OEM plate in case we ever needed it and they said it wasn't removed and the bump skid was installed over top of it. When I referred them to the instruction sheet it clearly says to remove OEM plate prior to installation. I've noticed on some of these forums that others have opted to leave the OEM plate on prior to installation but most installations have it removed. Will it make a difference in handling, protection, or air-flow or cause any problems if the OEM plate is left on. The bump skid installation looks fine and the service department said they will re-do the installation if I decide to have it removed. I'm inquiring on opinions on this matter. Thanks!!

Mark D. Harrington
    Retired USAF (MSgt)

Bikes:
    2005 Honda Shadow 750
    2010 AutoMoto (150cc)
    2012 Can Am RT Limited - White (Wife's)
    2012 Can Am RT Limited - White (Mine)

Spyder Garage

Hmm. Install on my '10 was over the factory plate. In fact that's what you drill the holes in to attach the clips to screw the BumpSkid to. Don't know why your instructions would say to remove it?!

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The installation ref the Spyderpops Bumpskid has been discussed before - Ref removing the existing OEM Skip Plate or not

You can find some views on this at :-

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...AILABLE-ONLINE

Hope this helps

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm, didn't know you could install it over the factory one! The first line of the instructions say to remove and discard the factory plate. Don't see how it would have fit over mine, unless it was thicker somehow. I would think it would shave off even more much needed clearance. Who am I to argue, if it fit and works that way

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To remove or not remove the factory skid plate when installing the Spyderpops BumpSkid?

Fact:The factory skid plate will no longer serve any purpose when the SPYDERPOPS BumpSkid is installed.

Why we say to remove it: The thickness of the factory skid plate makes it harder to align the starting holes for alignment before drilling the front holes.

Results: It won't hurt anything once it's installed as long as everything aligns properly.

The SPYDERPOPS BumpSkid was designed to work without the factory skid plate. We remove it!

No worries either way!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A definitive answer from the source...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black