Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Allot of Hot Air

Ms. Ann01From Michigan to Nevada is quite a climate change.
    Since you are out and about in the heat could you share Hot riding gear info.

What are some of the do's and Don'ts on a day long ride.

Hopefully
    Anyone living in the SW can add information helpful to the crowd headed to Albuquerque.
    Beyond happy SpyderLover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mr Gene what a lovely avatar picture of you. You probably won't need your rain gear in Albuquerque unless you are in the oath of a fire hose.

I wear a mesh jacket and pants and I stay pretty coil. I use a camelback filled with ice water to drink while riding. We just got these neat little skull cap things called Heat Out which you wear under your helmet and they do a good job of keeping your head cool.

If you don't west a jacket you are better off with a long sleeved shirt than bare arms. The most important thing is to drink plenty of water.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yupp what he said.

Camel back best investment I made for desert riding. What you don't put in you , you can dribble down the front of you for additional evaporative cooling.

Who makes the Heat Out caps?
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    Yupp what he said.

Camel back best investment I made for desert riding. What you don't put in you , you can dribble down the front of you for additional evaporative cooling.

Who makes the Heat Out caps?
    Cycle Gear sells their version of the Underarmour heat gear, called Heat Out. I wore the skull cap and the shorts this weekend and really like them. I have the UA gear also, and prefer the Heat Out.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear a thin long sleeve bright white shirt to protect my arms from the sun. The brighter the better, as it will reflect more light and therefore heat. I can't help but feel things like mesh jackets will still be too hot in the desert sun, especially if you are stopped for any length of time.

I used a "cool vest" under my shirt over the weekend and I must say it kept me cool, though my body felt clammy and itchy as a result, but it did keep me cool. Not sure if I would have preferred the heat. Regardless, drink lots of water and keep drinking it.

This may sound silly, but there are two ways to die in the desert. The first is of thirst. The second is by drowning (flash floods).
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't see the Heat Out shorts at our Cycle Gear but I'm definitely going to go back and look for them. Cycle Gear stuff is available online if you don't have a store near you. The heat out caps were on sale for $5.00 normally $9.99. My Spyder thermometer read 118 on Saturday and my head was dry when I got home.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hey Gene, this is what we do going through the desert...

Stop every 70, 80 miles. Go to the restroom. If you pee, drink a bottle of water. If you don't pee, drink a bottle of Gatorade and a bottle of water.

No serious partying the night before. It dehydrates you...

Also, those neck bandanas with gel in them that cools you off works wonders!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Check out thehttp://www.ldcomfort.com/ LD Comfort site : The clothes they sell help in hot weather and general comfort in riding. I have bought from them and they have great service. Hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    If you pee, drink a bottle of water. If you don't pee, drink a bottle of Gatorade and a bottle of water.
    Funny but so true!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Don't know what to say, I live in AZ where it gets to 120 but all I wear is pants and a t shirt. Lather up with suntan oil and away I go. I agree with the lots of drinking water. Also I take pour-on water for the bod. Been to Albiqurk. N.M and its lots cooler than here, you should not have a problem. Have a great trip.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with ArrMiHardies that, short of a cooling vest of some kind, a long sleeve white shirt is the coolest thing you can ride in. They're even cooler if you wet them down but the dampness won't last long. We used to ride in them but I've come to believe that the protection of a mesh jacket is more important than being a little cooler. We just changed from some dark blue jackets to silver which seems some cooler. I like the cool vests but the Joe Rocket vests we own have gotten to where all the moisture drains out the bottom rather than staying up in the vest until it evaporates. Gonna have to get some new ones. I also like the gel neck bandanas that Yazz mentioned. It's amazing what a difference just keeping your neck cool can make.

I have ridden in short sleeve white T-shirts (when I was young and dumb and thought I was bulletproof) but if you are prone to blistering at all that is NOT the way to go. A bright sunny day with 10% humidity and riding into the wind at 70 MPH will cook you before you know it. On the RT a good pair of boots will help to keep your right foot just a little cooler.

Cotton

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Hey Gene, this is what we do going through the desert...

Stop every 70, 80 miles. Go to the restroom. If you pee, drink a bottle of water. If you don't pee, drink a bottle of Gatorade and a bottle of water.

No serious partying the night before. It dehydrates you...

Also, those neck bandanas with gel in them that cools you off works wonders!
    Our marching band advice was: if your pee is dark yellow drink more water, pale yellow pee is the best! The kids loved when we would do the "pee talk" every year!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Mr. Gene,
    I am glad to hear you are going to be coming to Durango, Butch & I were sad we missed you at Spyderfest this year.
    Stay "cool",
    Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTGENE View Post
    Ms. Ann01From Michigan to Nevada is quite a climate change.
    Since you are out and about in the heat could you share Hot riding gear info.

What are some of the do's and Don'ts on a day long ride.

Hopefully
    Anyone living in the SW can add information helpful to the crowd headed to Albuquerque.
    Ride Nekkid!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Ride Nekkid!
    The only way to stay cool. And fast...

Spyder Garage

Default Good info

Ann01I ordered a heat cap.
    Yazz
    Geezz you can't say P_ _ on spyderlovers. OK OK if you saw me drink 2 Gatorade's what would that mean.
    I have a neck jell
    Sam
    ordered up the LDcomfort shorts---they look great.
    Ann01
    Don't encourage Yazz to share more.
    Butch and Paula
    Enough already with the marching band info--(I hope Yazz misses this)
    It will be good visiting in Durango
    Maybe talk about a trip to the Grand Canyon since we're that close.
    FireFly
    Are you headed to Durango? I'll bring my camera to document your hot weather gear.

I'm benefiting from the info as are a number of spydelovers--
    THANKS ALL
    Beyond happy SpyderLover

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear a long sleeve demin shirt (purchased from Cat Specialties) over any shirt and every time we stop about 100 miles...I take the demin off and soak it down with water....drink lots of water as said before.....the hotter it is ... the longer the stops...

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Ride Nekkid!
    I'm willing to bet that's not a pretty sight!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

SpyderAnn01....

I assume the Camelback is worn outside the mesh jacket. Is it cumbersome? I've been looking at a 3 litre version and wonder about that plus the jacket's armor.

kt

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mr Gene what a lovely avatar picture of you. You probably won't need your rain gear in Albuquerque unless you are in the oath of a fire hose.

I wear a mesh jacket and pants and I stay pretty coil. I use a camelback filled with ice water to drink while riding. We just got these neat little skull cap things called Heat Out which you wear under your helmet and they do a good job of keeping your head cool.

If you don't west a jacket you are better off with a long sleeved shirt than bare arms. The most important thing is to drink plenty of water.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    SpyderAnn01....

I assume the Camelback is worn outside the mesh jacket. Is it cumbersome? I've been looking at a 3 litre version and wonder about that plus the jacket's armor.

kt

Ken, we bought cheap ones before our trip to Spyderfest. Joe threw his away on the return trip because it leaked. He then bought an authentic Camelback 3 liter and he loves it. They are worn on the outside and no they aren't at all cumbersome. I have a full face helmet and it is really easy for me to drink and drive with it. The tube lays flat and doesn't fly around.

Gas stations even let us refill them with ice and water from their soda machines and didn't charge anything.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find mine gets in the way of my backrest, so I just strap it to the back of my backrest when using it.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default Water

I have the water bag inside the back pack with the addition of the inslated pouch you get in the mail.
    With the back pack comes storage for sun glasses and credit cards etc. At gas stops I use the cap as a support for the seat makes it less of a struggle.
    I shared this with Deb and Brian on their way to Calf-------miss those two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Beyond happy SpyderLover

Spyder Garage

Bikeguy I am not "young and dumb" but I still ride in T shirts. Am 79 far from young and have been riding for 67 years so far from dumb, its a matter of choice in my eyes. So if you have more riding experince than me let me know the wisdom of it. Till then don't call people who ride different than you "dumb"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Bikeguy I am not "young and dumb" but I still ride in T shirts. Am 79 far from young and have been riding for 67 years so far from dumb, its a matter of choice in my eyes. So if you have more riding experince than me let me know the wisdom of it. Till then don't call people who ride different than you "dumb"
    I said I was dumb, not you. I don't care what you wear. The fact is, I'm a lot more interested in saving my skin than yours. I'm only 74 and only been riding 62 years so you've got more years than me but I don't know about experience. I've lost enough hide in the dirt and a little on the pavement to know that I don't care to lose any more. Although, the point I was making, that you apparently missed, was that sun and dry wind, and heat would blister you in a hurry if you have any tendency to blister. Now, if you care to, you might tell me how my comment about riding in a T-shirt when I was younger and dumber managed to insult you.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

OOPS my bad. Sorry for the misunderstanding.