Spyder Garage

Default "POP" while turning handle bars

Our RT had an occasional pop sound like plastic binding and popping when it moved past the bind...
    This was an infrequent occurance had started while on the Spyderfest trip.
    Today was the day to put the RT up on lift for oil change and a complete going over prior to the trip to Durango later this month.

Once I had the RT up on jack stands and moved the handle bars around with no load I realized there was something wrong in there.

Pulled off the front fascia and one of the headlight assemblies as this would get me a real good view of exactly what was going on in there.
    I found the cable that locks the glove box had came unhooked from the bottom side of the key / switch assembly. This cable was the cause of the popping I had been hearing. There is not much clearance in this area, but when things are properly attached all is well. This loose cable was able to get bound up pretty easily in these tight quarters.

I spent a few minutes wrestling with the cable and attempting to get it back installed correctly working through the hole where I removed the headlight assembly. A break with the shop manual showed if I can't get it back in place the console module removal is the next step to get this exposed so I could work on it. This appears to be doable but still hoping it would not be needed. Decided to give it one more try and this time was able to get the cable reattached.

Greased front end, Oil and Filters changed, battery connections tightened, exhaust to cat pipe clamps snugged up, checked for seating of fuses and relays.

Still have not found the time to take the RT in for the 2010 brake pin recall. Asked dealer if I could just get the pins and do it myself, they said no they have to do it. I can understand the liability since it is a safety recall. Asked them to sell me the new pins, they say no we cant......what is up with that?? I want to give them money and buy parts and they wont sell them? Ok I am perfectly fine with the clip pins in place now, have added zip ties to keep the clips in place on shaft so I dont see them coming out. One of these days I will have to darken the dealers service door and will do the Brake recall then. Who knows maybe they will have techs and pins in Durango to get this done while there.

RT is back on the ground and ready to go, now just have to work two more weeks before VACA and the Durango adventure.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have things all set. Good job!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee... I thought that maybe it was your shoulder popping as you leaned on the bars...
    Thanks for the write-up! Now go spin some tires!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps on your trip to Durango later this month You will be passing a dealer - If you know the route you may be able to do a little detour
    to get the Brake Recall done - Would only take a few minutes and I am sure a dealer would understand the need to carry out this safety check
    seeing you are on the road

Sorry don't know your area as I live in the UK

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Gee... I thought that maybe it was your shoulder popping as you leaned on the bars...
    Don't laugh...mine does that as I turn sometimes. So loud Nancy can hear it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Perhaps on your trip to Durango later this month You will be passing a dealer - If you know the route you may be able to do a little detour
    to get the Brake Recall done - Would only take a few minutes and I am sure a dealer would understand the need to carry out this safety check
    seeing you are on the road

Sorry don't know your area as I live in the UK

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Eddie,
    I see the owners event has a mechanics tent, maybe i can get the pins changed there.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't laugh...mine does that as I turn sometimes. So loud Nancy can hear it.
    Through the intercom??? Your shoulder and my elbow could work out a pretty decent drum-duet...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Through the intercom??? Your shoulder and my elbow could work out a pretty decent drum-duet...
    Not through the intercom, through the air. We're gonna make a great duet!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I sound like getting up out of my easy chair (Also known as "That lazy 's dumping ground") for a relatively quick run to the water closet during commercials...