Spyder Garage

Default Towed back to dealership......again

Old problem keeps coming back and new problems have surfaced. Tranny light came back on again after being fine for about a month, only this time I couldn't shift out of first and the throttle died on me. It takes a lot to frustrate me and I'm starting to get to that point. The guys at the dealership service department are trying their darnest and have gotten to the point to where they have started going to online forums to figure out the problems because BRP don't really have an answer for them. I really hope they can get it fixed!

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    Old problem keeps coming back and new problems have surfaced. Tranny light came back on again after being fine for about a month, only this time I couldn't shift out of first and the throttle died on me. It takes a lot to frustrate me and I'm starting to get to that point. The guys at the dealership service department are trying their darnest and have gotten to the point to where they have started going to online forums to figure out the problems because BRP don't really have an answer for them. I really hope they can get it fixed!
    Online forums should have been one of their first visits.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear

Has anyone ever lemon lawned a spyder yet ?
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Looks like it may be the shifter solenoid. Waiting on the part to come in then I hope that solves the problem. I'm glad I got the extended warranty too! Guess factory warranty ran out, but still....things shouldn't be failing on this $33,000 purchase within two years!!!!! Oh well, that's life I guess.

Spyder Garage

You are right to be dismayed over the situation. Give them a chance to get it fixed right. Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least they've found a possbile culprit for all of this... Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default battery problems

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    I had a similar problem with my RS. I seems that the battery lasts only about 2 years. My RS was running great, stopped for gas and would not start. I found out you cannot jump start them, well maybe you can, but the bike will only run about 100 yards. Guages were going crazy, etc. It had been in before for problems similar to yours. The problem, the battery. Installed a new battery and WHAM, the RS runs perfectly. The dealer told me that they had 5 Can Ams towed in that week for similar problems for two year old Can Ams. Even though the battery is more powerful than is used on a Goldwing, the Can Am has a tremendous amount of electronic requirements. The dealer suggested I change the battery every 2 years whether I think it needs it or not. I cannot believe how well the bike now runs. You might want to give it a try.

signed, A happy Can Am owner again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canner View Post
    I had a similar problem with my RS. I seems that the battery lasts only about 2 years. My RS was running great, stopped for gas and would not start. I found out you cannot jump start them, well maybe you can, but the bike will only run about 100 yards. Guages were going crazy, etc. It had been in before for problems similar to yours. The problem, the battery. Installed a new battery and WHAM, the RS runs perfectly. The dealer told me that they had 5 Can Ams towed in that week for similar problems for two year old Can Ams. Even though the battery is more powerful than is used on a Goldwing, the Can Am has a tremendous amount of electronic requirements. The dealer suggested I change the battery every 2 years whether I think it needs it or not. I cannot believe how well the bike now runs. You might want to give it a try.

signed, A happy Can Am owner again.
    I've got an "08. Original battery. Still going strong().
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I've got an "08. Original battery. Still going strong().
    +1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Battery life is affected by so many outside variables that it's pretty tough to generalize...
    Extra accessories
    use of a battery maintainer during "quiet times"
    how long the bike sits between rides
    rpm levels during rides...
    These are just the ones that I could remember on a Saturday morning when I should be sleeping...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Got my ride back with a new shifter solenoid, so far so good! Hope this did it! Been itching to ride!
    I was stranded once because of the battery issue. Lights still came on but wouldn't start. Jump starting it didn't work at all. Dealership came out and towed her in. They didn't have that battery in stock and had to order it. Once the new battery was installed it seemed my RT had a lot more power than it had when I first bought it. I'm guessing the battery was pretty weak when it sat on the showroom floor for awhile.

Spyder Garage

That's great news

Hope you have many miles of smiles ahead of you
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps