Thread: Am I $crewed?

Spyder Garage

Default Am I $crewed?

We took the spyder down to mass for a family gathering this past long weekend and long our way we had a man jump out from his car (he was behind us) and inform us something had bounced from our bike about a half mile back and thought it was our license plate light cover. Anyways we banged a U and went a searching.
    We successfully recovered the undamaged light housing but now an in need a the screw or bolt that held it in place.
    Today I called 2 local dealerships wondering if they had said part in stock. No one could find it, in fact all they could find was the whole housing for about $40+.... The redneck in me at this point wanted to clue the housing back on and then I realized eventually the bulb would die and I'd be pissy...
    looking for a lil help here guys before I just drive to the local hardware store and start walking out with a handful of diameters and lengths till I get it "right"

It's a 2011 RS - S
    thank

Spyder Garage

You should be able to find the spec you are looking for here:
    http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1

Spyder Garage

See that's what I thought too... But it shows the bulb and the 2 nuts that hold the housing to the fender which has the license plate bulb on it. The plastic housing with the reflector is what came off... They don't list that piece that you would unscrew to open the housing to change the bulb... They want to replace the whole unit.
    Believe me I was hoping it would be that simple
    maybe they wouldn't miss the piece off a floor model... Jus kidding

Spyder Garage

Just go to the hardware and find a screw to fit. Probably #6 or so...maybe #8. The screw is not available separately. Do not overtighten the screw! Look inside the lens. A common cause for loss of the lens is that the boss breaks off inside the screw indentation, around the hole. In that case you can either repair and reinforce the lens with some styrene or acrylic plastic, buy an ESI replacement lens, or use a longer screw and a washer to hold the lens. To prevent future loss, put a blob of RTV silicone on the screw hole on the bracket just before you reinstall the lens, then let it sit overnight before use. A few small blobs of silicone at the parting line of the lens and the base will hold it on no matter what, and can easily be slit with a razor blade or knife for removal.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Then it's a project for the next day off figured it was gonna go that rout. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Then your best bet might be to borrow one from someone to compare at the store.

If that don't work let me know.

Spyder Garage

The same thing happened to me and BRP covered it under warranty (mine was lost). Your 2011 is still under full warranty so tell your dealer you want it fixed and he'll find you a screw.

Or you can simply buy a better lens here for $20:
    http://www.esicycleproducts.com/doub...etaillens.html

Or just take a trip to the hardware store.

Nice to have choices.
    Last edited by pro10is; 05-31-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    To prevent future loss, put a blob of RTV silicone on the screw hole on the bracket just before you reinstall the lens, then let it sit overnight before use. A few small blobs of silicone at the parting line of the lens and the base will hold it on no matter what, and can easily be slit with a razor blade or knife for removal.
    I with Scotty on this one !!!! I put a small amount of silicone around the edge of the len
    and never had that problem again.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Take a look at this - http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am..._reflector.htm

Only $19.95. Use I use blue Loctite for the screw.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    I with Scotty on this one !!!! I put a small amount of silicone around the edge of the len
    and never had that problem again.
    Yes, that also worked for me. Never had a problem since. Thanks Scotty!

Spyder Garage

MikeinGA - have it love it. Def helps as a running light especially since we have a wheelchair rack hanging off the back and when loaded up sometimes I fear our read breaks can be a little blocked so at least we have a red light on the rear fender

Thanks Joel I don't have any friends... With spyders at least but I'm sure I can figure it out I'll go to the local hardware store where they understand walking out into the parking lot with bolts and such to get the right one... Unlike a big box store? Although in fairness I've never tried to explain that to the cashier lol
    Last edited by elixermixer; 05-31-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Adding