Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I have been on 2 wheels for 67 years. And rode hundreds of thousands of miles on Honda Goldwings which only said change the oil every 5000 miles. So now almost 30 years later with all the new techs. we are suppose to change them at every 3000 and with the new tech filters 4600. WOW what an improvement!! Seems as though we have gone backwards or they are trying to make more money off us for simple maintance. Or are the motors that much worse? I surely hope not.
    My VTX 03 [1800] oil changes were at 6 thousand, Even the first one was at 6 thousand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    After I read this for a while, I feel this way about it, I going to continue to use BajaRon's filters until his filter is gone and he finds another filter to fit the new HCM cap. Ron is one of us, he spent his time to find us quality replacement parts at a good price, and I am not going to throw him under the bus. I had two sets of filters (HiFLO), out of SE5 trans, checked out one with BRP blended oil at 3100 miles and other with a full synthetic oil at 5700 miles and was told that both pasted the inspection. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Ron sells a better filter than previous stock versions and at a better price. With that in mind and full synthetic oil I go 4000 miles, no worries.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Ron sells a better filter than previous stock versions and at a better price.

With that in mind and full synthetic oil I go 4000 miles, no worries.
    Yes but how does it compare with the current stock version?

Did you do an oil inspection?
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I was at my dealer yesterday and they knew nothing about the new oil filter. I gave them the new part # and it was in the system but they said it would be a special order part??? Then I mentioned the new maintenance schedule and I was looked at like I was making it up! I guess time will tell if my dealer will get the memo?

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ordered three sets of filters after Spyderfest and just used the first set last night. I have two more sets that I'll use before looking at the new types. By this time Ron may have another option for the ECM filter but if not I will continue to buy from him. I'll be next year before my dealer will have the new model in anyway.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

IMHO this is all much ado about almost nothing. BRP has made a slight improvement in the transmission filter simply by increasing its size and a possible slight improvement in the engine filter by adding a wire mesh to help keep the media flaps open to possibly allow for a little better flow. They also increased the recommended maintenance interval slightly.

This is all very nice but hardly anything earth shattering. The existing filters were already doing a good job and will continue to do so. I'm not aware of any issues caused by the existing filters when changed within 3000-5000 miles. If you have spare filters on hand keep them and use them. Go ahead and buy a new transmission filter if only to get the free cap sometime before the offer expires. Hopefully Ron will have the new size transmission filters soon. BRP probably used an existing design so hopefully Ron will be able to match it. But really, all this is nothing to get worked up about.

Spyder Garage

Default Just another parts srcrew up by BRP, LOCAL DEALERS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tru-Blue View Post
    I was at my dealer yesterday and they knew nothing about the new oil filter. I gave them the new part # and it was in the system but they said it would be a special order part??? Then I mentioned the new maintenance schedule and I was looked at like I was making it up! I guess time will tell if my dealer will get the memo?
    I called my dealer same deal, said the same thing. I called another dealer and I would have to pay for it first and when the part comes I can pick it up. The total round trip mileage 218 miles at $0.30 cents a mile (tolal cost per mile to use my Spyder) is $65.40. So the total cost to get the part is $83.59 this includes tax. I tried to order on the BRP websight and other dealer websights and it was not on any of the parts lists and it's a special order part and it might take till May of 2013 to get it. It took me almost a month to get 4 (in stock) screws and nuts and my back rest over took 4 months and none of them where SPECIAL ORDER parts. I'm glade that it is not a part I need to keep riding. That IMHO.

PLEASE PLEASE BRP

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    IMHO this is all much ado about almost nothing. BRP has made a slight improvement in the transmission filter simply by increasing its size and a possible slight improvement in the engine filter by adding a wire mesh to help keep the media flaps open to possibly allow for a little better flow. They also increased the recommended maintenance interval slightly.

This is all very nice but hardly anything earth shattering. The existing filters were already doing a good job and will continue to do so. I'm not aware of any issues caused by the existing filters when changed within 3000-5000 miles. If you have spare filters on hand keep them and use them. Go ahead and buy a new transmission filter if only to get the free cap sometime before the offer expires. Hopefully Ron will have the new size transmission filters soon. BRP probably used an existing design so hopefully Ron will be able to match it. But really, all this is nothing to get worked up about.
    IMHO. 53.33% increased lifespan is nothing to sneeze at.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    Ron sells a better filter than previous stock versions and at a better price. With that in mind and full synthetic oil I go 4000 miles, no worries.
    Just changed my oil and the BajaRon filters looked better for wear the the other old BRP filters I have saved!
    I,ll stick to 3,500 miles.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    IMHO. 53.33% increased lifespan is nothing to sneeze at.
    This is an increase in the lifespan of the OEM filter and not necessarily to be compared with all other filters.

I have been running 5~6K on the HiFlo filters with no issues and I know other riders who do the same. The HiFlo filters look great at these change intervals. No deformaties, filter separations or deterioration at all. Really, they look just like they did when installed except for being saturated with oil.

HiFlo says they use a very high quality filter medium that will outlast OEM filters. Because the filter medium has smaller, more uniform passages they flow more oil while catching smaller stuff. Of course anyone can say anything they like but these filters seem to live up to the claims.

I've sold a few thousand filters so far and have not had a single complaint. Many of my customers are high mileage riders so it isn't like they aren't getting a workout.

I know that I'm sitting on quite a few filters so that may taint my credibilty. But honestly, if I didn't think these HiFlo filters were a great product I would not carry them just to make a sale. But I think we may be talking apples and oranges here.

I do applaud BRP for going to a larger Trans filter. The HiFlo filter is suppsed to flow more oil than the OEM filter but probably not as much as this longer version BRP is going to. Then again, you only need a certain amount of flow and after that you don't gain anything. I know I've had no complaints from my Trans filter customers.

I believe I have a filter that will be compatable with the new BRP specs. I don't have an SE to test it on so I'm going to go down the road and see if a friend will R&D it for me. If it works you will be the first to know!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is an increase in the lifespan of the OEM filter and not necessarily to be compared with all other filters.

I have been running 5~6K on the HiFlo filters with no issues and I know other riders who do the same. The HiFlo filters look great at these change intervals. No deformaties, filter separations or deterioration at all. Really, they look just like they did when installed except for being saturated with oil.

HiFlo says they use a very high quality filter medium that will outlast OEM filters. Because the filter medium has smaller, more uniform passages they flow more oil while catching smaller stuff. Of course anyone can say anything they like but these filters seem to live up to the claims.

I've sold a few thousand filters so far and have not had a single complaint. Many of my customers are high mileage riders so it isn't like they aren't getting a workout.

I know that I'm sitting on quite a few filters so that may taint my credibilty. But honestly, if I didn't think these HiFlo filters were a great product I would not carry them just to make a sale. But I think we may be talking apples and oranges here.

I do applaud BRP for going to a larger Trans filter. The HiFlo filter is suppsed to flow more oil than the OEM filter but probably not as much as this longer version BRP is going to. Then again, you only need a certain amount of flow and after that you don't gain anything. I know I've had no complaints from my Trans filter customers.

I believe I have a filter that will be compatable with the new BRP specs. I don't have an SE to test it on so I'm going to go down the road and see if a friend will R&D it for me. If it works you will be the first to know!

I wonder who?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    I wonder who?
    Well now I just can't say. If I could, then I would have!

Spyder Garage

So maybe you can tell me why we are asked to change at 3000 then? Is it the filter or that the oil has sheared too much to be good anymore? If you have the filter part down, maybe the oil they are using now is the weak link? IDK. Hence the question.

IMO, since we are talking about OEM vs your filters, I don't feel like it taints anything. Now if you have a bunch of OEM filters and you tried to say that it is as good as the new ones, I might be leery but since you don't have OE filters (made by the lowest bidder), I'm going to say you are talking about apples vs oranges so no conflict of interest that I can see. Someone else might disagree but that is my opinion.

I'm not sure if it is the oil flow that is in question here or not. Like you said, beyond a certain level, WGAS? My theory is that the longer lifespan is from the larger surface area of the HCM filter that can trap more crud before it becomes too clogged to do the work.

Please do. I just got done with my oil change last weekend so I can't R&D it for you till I hit the the next time I do an oil change.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I have been on 2 wheels for 67 years. And rode hundreds of thousands of miles on Honda Goldwings which only said change the oil every 5000 miles. So now almost 30 years later with all the new techs. we are suppose to change them at every 3000 and with the new tech filters 4600. WOW what an improvement!! Seems as though we have gone backwards or they are trying to make more money off us for simple maintance. Or are the motors that much worse? I surely hope not.
    Our rotax engine runs at much higher rpms---- gonna thrash the oil more.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

So maybe you can tell me why we are asked to change at 3000 then? ...
    I've owned several BRP products and I find BRP tends to be more conservative about maintenance intervals than other manufacturers. You have to keep in mind that the Spyder comes with a two year warranty and the BRP BEST warranty can extend that for many more years. So BRP can end up footing the bill for many engine/transmission repairs if oil problems exist. So it's in their interest to spec shorter maintenance intervals. Of course 3000 miles is really an unusually short interval for modern engines and some riders are looking at 3-5 or more oil changes a year. Quality motorcycle oil is expensive so this can really add up especially if you also have to pay dealer labor. Customer dissatisfaction with the short maintenance intervals may be what drove BRP to consider a longer duration. The BRP synthetic or semi-synthetic oil they spec should really have no problem holding up for 4600 miles so no change was needed there. However the OEM filters were not especially noted for their high quality and apparently BRP felt they needed an upgrade. Ron's filters on the other hand were already of high quality and already up to the task of longer intervals. So it looks like BRP is just catching up.
    Last edited by pro10is; 06-02-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

So maybe you can tell me why we are asked to change at 3000 then? Is it the filter or that the oil has sheared too much to be good anymore? If you have the filter part down, maybe the oil they are using now is the weak link? IDK. Hence the question.

IMO, since we are talking about OEM vs your filters, I don't feel like it taints anything. Now if you have a bunch of OEM filters and you tried to say that it is as good as the new ones, I might be leery but since you don't have OE filters (made by the lowest bidder), I'm going to say you are talking about apples vs oranges so no conflict of interest that I can see. Someone else might disagree but that is my opinion.

I'm not sure if it is the oil flow that is in question here or not. Like you said, beyond a certain level, WGAS? My theory is that the longer lifespan is from the larger surface area of the HCM filter that can trap more crud before it becomes too clogged to do the work.

Please do. I just got done with my oil change last weekend so I can't R&D it for you till I hit the the next time I do an oil change.
    I can't speak for BRP but everyone likes to speculate.

My feeling is BRP engineered the oil maintenance components around a 3,000 mile service interval plus whatever the industry standard is for a safety factor added in.

It may be that you don't want to build a 6,000 mile filter for a 3,000 mile discard service program. It may be with the original OEM filters they just didn't build in enough safety factor.

Again, I have no idea, just speculation. I am glad to see that they are offering an improved product though. That is always good.

One thing I can say is that HiFlo uses the same components in these Spyder filters as they do for filters that have a 7,500 mile service schedule.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-02-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

One thing I can say is that HiFlo uses the same components in these Spyder filters as they do for filters that have a 7,500 mile service schedule.
    So what is it you think we can stretch the interval to? 7500 or whatever the oil can do, whichever comes first? If so, maybe after my break in, I will send out the oil at 3000 and have Blackstone tell me what they think the oil is good for.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Filter Price

I just had my dealer order up a new filter. He knew nothing about the change but put in the part number I gave him and up it came. The new engine filters are $19.99 list versus $15.49 for the old filter. Wow. A $20 oil filter?? I don't know what the trans filter is as I have an SM-5. When I pick up the engine filter, I'll try to remember to ask.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's see...
    The old 3000 mile interval: 3,000, 6,000, 9,000 etc...
    But 4,600 miles?
    4,600, 9,200, 13,800, ?? My head is hurting from the New Math!
    What about the other mainterance items other that the oil change? Is it still 3,000 6,000 9,000 and 12,000 miles or 4,600 9,200 13,800 and 18,400 miles for the all items including oil change?
    I would like to see a periodic maintenanace schedule like the one in the manual. I would not want to lose my BRP warranty or my extended warranty. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

So what is it you think we can stretch the interval to? 7500 or whatever the oil can do, whichever comes first? If so, maybe after my break in, I will send out the oil at 3000 and have Blackstone tell me what they think the oil is good for.
    I change my oil at 5-6k. I use Amsoil and the same HiFlo filters I sell. If it's not good enough for me I just don't sell it (unless someone REALLY wants to throw money at me! )

I simply tell people that this is what I do and everyone has to decide what works for them.

My point about the 7,500 mile change interval was not to recommend anyone go that long between oil changes (which I certainly WOULD NOT recommend), but simply to point out the quality of the filter material that HiFlo uses.

I've had customers tell me that their OEM BRP filters came apart or (in the case of the transmission filter) collapsed. If this is true I think it very rare. But as far as I know this has never happened with the HiFlo filters I sell. One possible reason being the HiFlo filters are designed to last a lot longer than what any of us would comfortably run them.

I did not have any problems with the OEM BRP engine oil filters I used on my 1st 2 oil changes, (I have an SM5 so I'm not using trans filters). So I can't personally vouch for any failure of an OEM filter.

But it is obvious that BRP was not satisfied with their original filters otherwise why the change? And I applaud BRP for making improvments where needed.

Spyder Garage

I think their "Noticing" people who ride Spyders are Racking up (In General) a lot more miles than they expected or other motorcycles do that are out there. It has been my experience that People ride their SeaDoo,s more than people who own Yamaha,s or Kawasaki,s?
    BRP is always on the performance and Fun edge!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Every little bit helps...

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Talked to my dealers Spyder Tech his wek and he said part of the reason for this is the HCM filter can shred an throw bits of itself into the transmission causing issues with shifting. He personally has seen a few of these. One so bad it would not shift higher than 4th gear until he pulled all the paper bits out of the transmission.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Talked to my dealers Spyder Tech his wek and he said part of the reason for this is the HCM filter can shred an throw bits of itself into the transmission causing issues with shifting. He personally has seen a few of these. One so bad it would not shift higher than 4th gear until he pulled all the paper bits out of the transmission.
    That is definitely not good. And probably one of the reasons I sell so many trans filters.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Maintenance Schedule - Have copy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    What about the other mainterance items other that the oil change? Is it still 3,000 6,000 9,000 and 12,000 miles or 4,600 9,200 13,800 and 18,400 miles for the all items including oil change?I would like to see a periodic maintenanace schedule like the one in the manual. I would not want to lose my BRP warranty or my extended warranty. That's IMHO.Mike
    I have a copy of the new maintenance schedule. If I can get to a scanner I will try to post it. Interesting.....it says it doesnt apply to bikes registered in California.Regards,Clay