Spyder Garage

Default Problem after removing fuel canister

Not a big problem, but ran very well to dealership. When I killed the bike with a 1/2 tank of gas a little gas spurted out the vent tube. Not much, but shouldn't have done this with only 1/2 tank. Thinking about putting the canister back in, but leave the purge valve plugged and then plugs were the purge valve usually hooks up on the canister. Then hook the vent line back up on the canister from the tank and hook up the vent line that I have run out the rear of the bike. That way any little gas will purge there and vent out the vent lines.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Not a big problem, but ran very well to dealership. When I killed the bike with a 1/2 tank of gas a little gas spurted out the vent tube. Not much, but shouldn't have done this with only 1/2 tank. Thinking about putting the canister back in, but leave the purge valve plugged and then plugs were the purge valve usually hooks up on the canister. Then hook the vent line back up on the canister from the tank and hook up the vent line that I have run out the rear of the bike. That way any little gas will purge there and vent out the vent lines.
    David
    If you're getting raw gas out of the vent tube you did something wrong.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you're getting raw gas out of the vent tube you did something wrong.
    Not that hard to figure out. Once you remove the canister you only have to fool with 2 hoses. The purges hose to the purge valve and vent line coming from the tank. Doubled checked before carrying it to the dealer. Hooked up right. Put a bolt in the hose that goes to the purge valve. The hose that comes from the tank is the one I vented out the back. Only a couple drops came out. I also noticed my canister didn't smell of gas hardly any. My canister has the little vent tube on it also. Might have to see if I have a kink in the vent tube. This has happened to some of the Valkyries. In the shop at present with warranty on front ball joints.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 06-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default With canister removed ......

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    David
    Caniaster removed, per guidance from the SL "victims" from my RT after 2 months of BS'ing around with BRP replacing 2 canisters and purge valve. Ran the vent line back to the rear swing arm also. It has been almost ok most of the time, but yesterday, with nice hot wx in the 90s somewhere, the vent was dripping every 8 seconds for several minutes after the shutdown from the 150 mile ride. Parked in my daughter's garage and I walked back to see how it was doing and big old drops flying out of the vent. And this is with 2/3 of a tank left after gassing up about 1/2 way. Didn't even start the bike, just pushed it out into the street next to the garbage can - luckily the G man didn't crush it. Today it's 10 degrees or so cooler and with less gas only vapors and smell - which still is not "normal", but better than flooding the garage. Evidently boiling in the tank from the exhaust is the biggest factor.
    I guess wrapping the exhaust in good $80 a roll tape and reflective stuff on the tank is going to happen tomorrow. Saw a Victory Tuesday with the regular tan tape burned off the exhaust pipe and muffler "singed badly"- guy was lucky it didn't really catch on fire, it looked pathetic. This is my only continuing problem with Big Red - but it really sucks that we don't have a good service solution from BRP to fix this thing. No, I don't fill up to anywhere near the lip. Bought the bike in Aug last year and the vapor/dripping problem started in Feb with about 7.000 miles.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    Caniaster removed, per guidance from the SL "victims" from my RT after 2 months of BS'ing around with BRP replacing 2 canisters and purge valve. Ran the vent line back to the rear swing arm also. It has been almost ok most of the time, but yesterday, with nice hot wx in the 90s somewhere, the vent was dripping every 8 seconds for several minutes after the shutdown from the 150 mile ride. Parked in my daughter's garage and I walked back to see how it was doing and big old drops flying out of the vent. And this is with 2/3 of a tank left after gassing up about 1/2 way. Didn't even start the bike, just pushed it out into the street next to the garbage can - luckily the G man didn't crush it. Today it's 10 degrees or so cooler and with less gas only vapors and smell - which still is not "normal", but better than flooding the garage. Evidently boiling in the tank from the exhaust is the biggest factor.
    I guess wrapping the exhaust in good $80 a roll tape and reflective stuff on the tank is going to happen tomorrow. Saw a Victory Tuesday with the regular tan tape burned off the exhaust pipe and muffler "singed badly"- guy was lucky it didn't really catch on fire, it looked pathetic. This is my only continuing problem with Big Red - but it really sucks that we don't have a good service solution from BRP to fix this thing. No, I don't fill up to anywhere near the lip. Bought the bike in Aug last year and the vapor/dripping problem started in Feb with about 7.000 miles.

Tuck
    When I get my wife's back from the shop my plans is to put the canister back in. Leave the plug in the purge line. Install a cap over the nipple where the putge line was hooked up on the canister. Put the tank vent back on the canister were it was before and vent the canister out the back. My thoughts is with the little gas that pushes out of the tank will end up in the canister and it will evorate (sp) when not in use.
    David

Spyder Garage

The problem is the gas will come out of the tank and into the canister....in my opinion. I just let it drip the very minor amount it does from time to time out of the vent hose onto the floor. I installed a fuel filter on that line also. I suppose you could install a 'catch can' similar to what many have done for the oil blow-by. Then just drain the gas from it as needed and reuse......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you have the vent line coming out of the gas tank routed higher than the gas tank before it runs to the back of the bike.I looped mine as high as possible and tie wrapped it before going down behind the radiator and I only get an occasional couple drops.

Spyder Garage

If you look at how BRP routes the line it kinda makes sense. It goes UP then down. I'm sure this is to help prevent liquid fuel from running out and helps to insure only vapor can escape.

For those who routed it out the back, try going up as high as you can for as long as it can go before going down. See if that stops the dripping.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Default Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    Make sure you have the vent line coming out of the gas tank routed higher than the gas tank before it runs to the back of the bike.I looped mine as high as possible and tie wrapped it before going down behind the radiator and I only get an occasional couple drops.
    Thanks for the idea.
    I'm going to double check and make a loop up top - gotta be an answer someplace. My vent to the back is already as high as possible till it goes down to the swing arm. What a pain.

Tuck