Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Anonymous Donates so Original Grip Buddies Can Become a Sponsor

I never would have believed it if I hadn't lived it:

Less than a week ago, one of our members bought a set of neoprene comfort grips from me for their RT Spyder, and started a thread to review and discuss the experience. Seems my grips answer more than one need for the RT. I was not a member at that moment, so they emailed me and asked me to become a member in order to clarify issues, and answer questions. In the process, it came out that I am the Founder of Original Grip Buddies, a small 1-man USA-Made start-up company in Saratoga Springs, New York. Neither my forum name (Adirondackjack) or my signature line indicated who I was, plus I wanted to respect the forum rules for sponsors.

I was contacted by the administrator both publicly (posts) and privately (PM's) and politely requested to become a sponsor if I wanted to remain and keep posting. Certainly a reasonable request on the part of management. While several kind souls jumped in to argue for me (which was much appreciated), I regretfully had to decline due to budget constraints. There are many start-up expenses which would astound you (not to mention the high costs of patenting and trademarking), along with insurance etc. All things most on this board understand very well, already.

Here's where it gets interesting

I awoke this morning to an email from a philanthropic member of this Board, who had decided to fund my Vendor Sponsorship out of the goodness of his heart, and who had already transferred the funds into my paypal account. His only condition was that I not divulge his identity. Needless to say, I was speechless. This kind of generosity is unprecedented, and along with the incredible early response to my Grips, says volumes about the high quality folks present and contributing on this forum.

Thanks to all who have supported me so far, and thanks especially to one certain member who was kind enough to believe in me and my down-home American Made product. I will never forget this.

Very Sincerely,

David J. Reppert
    Founder
    Original Grip Buddies, LLC
    Saratoga Springs, New York
    info@originalgripbuddies.com
    518-461-3003
    See my grips HERE
    Last edited by Adirondackjack; 05-30-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

David,
    We've got a really great bunch of folks in here; adding you to the "pile" makes it even better!
    Welcome to the family!
    Can I borrow the car now?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I've touted this Forum to many that its more of a "Family" than anything else

And your point just goes to prove what Ive been stating all along. The SpyderLovers Community is second to none when it comes to helping and supporting one another in any way possible.

Lamont has truly created something very special for all of us here

Teddy & I would like to say Congratulations on becoming a site Sponsor & Welcome to the SpyderHood

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome I am glad to see they will work with heated grips. Are these slip on or are they wrap around?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    Congrats and welcome I am glad to see they will work with heated grips. Are these slip on or are they wrap around?
    They are wrap around....and are an amazing product....heated grips still work..as promised

arntufun

Awesome story !!!! David, I will stop by your booth next week at Americade.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the new pic Randy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    So how much is a booth at Americade?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    lovely picture.. If you paint it silver, i will go 2mph faster

Spyder Garage

I always thought the people on this site were great, but that just blows me away! I have already my grips yesterday and they shipped today!

Spyder Phyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Well... My .02 is that once it was brought to light that a sponsorship was required in order to sell products out here....the person promoting his items should have ceased to do so and removed any posts doing such promotions...until he was approved and signed up.

That would only be respectful and fair to Lamont and the other vendors that have already paid their fair share.

My .02.
    No tax.
    No shipping.
    No refunds. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

That is just too cool!!!!!!!!! There are good people out there.........most must be on this site!

Spyder Garage

My grips came Friday, I put them on later in the day, and very easy to install and felt good. I went riding with them on Saturday for about 100 miles and the knuckles in my hand were cramping (they never cramped before without them). I went riding again today with them on and once again my knuckles in both hands cramped again,I finally took the, off after about 80 miles and no more cramping. So I guess I will ride without them. I do think they are a nice product and install easily and feel cushy, but my hands say no.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cant wait for mine to get here. Should be this week i suspect.

Josh

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GLHRN View Post
    My grips came Friday, I put them on later in the day, and very easy to install and felt good. I went riding with them on Saturday for about 100 miles and the knuckles in my hand were cramping (they never cramped before without them). I went riding again today with them on and once again my knuckles in both hands cramped again,I finally took the, off after about 80 miles and no more cramping. So I guess I will ride without them. I do think they are a nice product and install easily and feel cushy, but my hands say no.

Road 200 miles with mine on. They made the grips too fat and difficult for me to hold comfortably. Took them off and road another 200 miles. Felt much better.

EDIT -- The grips are soft and comfortable to hold. The problem is that they are ~1/4" thick and this adds nearly 1/2" to the diameter of the stock handgrips. If you have smaller hands this could create the issue I have with them. I may put them on my Zero-Turn John Deere.
    Last edited by DR Buck; 06-04-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Additional details
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

DR Buck, GLHRN-

In producing and selling my grips for the better part of 9 months on 6-7 different Forums, this is the very first time your discomfort issues have ever come up. Usually, just the opposite. Notwithstanding, I am happy to take them back and send you a full refund. I only want super satisfied customers, so please advise by email how you would like to proceed: info@originalgripbuddies.com

Best,

Dave R.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondackjack View Post
    DR Buck, GLHRN-

In producing and selling my grips for the better part of 9 months on 6-7 different Forums, this is the very first time your discomfort issues have ever come up. Usually, just the opposite. Notwithstanding, I am happy to take them back and send you a full refund. I only want super satisfied customers, so please advise by email how you would like to proceed: info@originalgripbuddies.com

Best,

Dave R.
    No refund necessary. It wasn't that expensive and it's not the first thing I bought and didn't like or use. In fact, I've got a boat load of stuff around here that I've paid far more for that doesn't get used .
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

DR Buck, GLHRN-

Best,

Dave R.

No refund necessary for me either. I still believe you have a good product and would/will recommend it for others. I do believe it probably does work for most people!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

There is the "Pay it forward" thread for unused P&A. Much better than taking up space and collecting dust.

Spyder Garage

DR Buck, GLHRN-

Best,

Dave R.

Great service - something that getting lost in this country...except for Spyder vendors!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Received them last Tuesday and went for a 1200 miles ride: first day was not really comfy, the grips felt too big and the riding feeling was strange. After day 1 everything felt ok and natural and after 3 days of twisties I do not have any blisters on my hands which is a huge bonus! I think that there should be a way to make a "try position" installation as I am not sure I will install the seams the way it is recommended... I rather further away than my finger tips as these are the most sensible parts of the hands and you constantly feel the seams... But: "Approved & Recommended!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Received them last Tuesday and went for a 1200 miles ride: first day was not really comfy, the grips felt too big and the riding feeling was strange. After day 1 everything felt ok and natural and after 3 days of twisties I do not have any blisters on my hands which is a huge bonus! I think that there should be a way to make a "try position" installation as I am not sure I will install the seams the way it is recommended... I rather further away than my finger tips as these are the most sensible parts of the hands and you constantly feel the seams... But: "Approved & Recommended!"
    prmurat-

First point is that we recommend that you not install the seam anywhere near your fingertips in our installation instructions packed with your grips. Second point is that as long as you are careful, there should be no reason why you can't re-position your grips. Just don't contaminate the sticky portion, and you should be good to go. Third point is we cannot legally recommend that you use our product contrary to the directions (ie without taking off the release layer on the back of the sticky velcro) since that would invite unwanted liability. That said, we have certainly observed some folks ghoing against our recommendations and trying our grips before removing the release layer, and then eventually sticking them on permanently once they decided they liked the postioning of the grips and the seams.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Dave R.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got mine about a week ago, but wanted to wait to post till after I had a few days with them. I chose not to use the sticky and to just wrap them around and Velcro. Once you stretch them around and attach to the Velcro they are pretty tight and don't move.
    When I first put them on it did not feel right at first, but knew that I have been riding the Spyder for over 2 years it would take a bit to get used to it. After a few days I can say that I definitely like them, nice feel, they will help to keep the hands comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hobstopper View Post
    Got mine about a week ago, but wanted to wait to post till after I had a few days with them. I chose not to use the sticky and to just wrap them around and Velcro. Once you stretch them around and attach to the Velcro they are pretty tight and don't move.
    When I first put them on it did not feel right at first, but knew that I have been riding the Spyder for over 2 years it would take a bit to get used to it. After a few days I can say that I definitely like them, nice feel, they will help to keep the hands comfortable.
    Hobstopper-

You are 100% correct that it sometimes takes a few miles to get used to my OGB's and finally relax your "deathgrip" on your handlebars. This is one of the hidden comfort and safety benefits of the OGB's.

Glad you are liking them. Many happy, safe, and comfortable riding miles to you.

Best,

Dave R.