View Poll Results: Which Kamado Grill do you recommend?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Green Egg (BGE)

2 28.57%
  • Primo Grills

3 42.86%
  • Vision Grill Classic or Pro

0 0%
  • Tradicional Iron smoker

2 28.57%
    Spyder Garage

Question BGE, Primo or Vision... Which one do you suggest?

For all you grillers/smokers out there... which one do you recommend for a Kamado smoker and why? This will be my birthday present and want to make sure I get the best deal.

I think that BGE (Big Green Egg) is over priced, but I think Primo is around that area (will go to a dealer this week) of pricing.

I saw a Vision Grills Kamado Classic that was at a great price in Costco but when I went to buy it, it was gone!! They sell them in Home Depot.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I use a Traeger wood pellet grill and LOVE it.

High heat for grilling
    Low and slow for smoking
    No flame ups
    A full hopper will smoke for HOURS
    Easy clean up
    Low Maintenance

Some complain that the pellets are too high. But use hard wood pellets for a wood burning furnace for about $8 per bag.

http://www.traegergrills.com
    Last edited by SteveMac; 05-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.

zrc

Personally, I am the kinda guy that if its going to break around 200, I would examine building brick smoker / grill outside as well, which can have some awesome @$$ accessories (Fridge, Hearth Pizza area, etc).

When You look at the overall situation, you get more for the cash, but you lose the ability to take it with you... UNLESS, you put fork truck steel things under it. then you can take it with you!

Just trying to muddy the water more, cause Im a douche like that.

Also if you brick make it, you can build a bar in it, and we all know I like bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post

High heat for grilling
    Low and slow for smoking
    No flame ups
    Easy clean up
    Low Maintenance

Some complain that the pellets are too high. But use hard wood pellets for a wood burning furnace for about $8 per bag.

Love my Traeger! Misquite pellets-)
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    For all you grillers/smokers out there... which one do you recommend for a Kamado smoker and why? This will be my birthday present and want to make sure I get the best deal.

I think that BGE (Big Green Egg) is over priced, but I think Primo is around that area (will go to a dealer this week) of pricing.

I saw a Vision Grills Kamado Classic that was at a great price in Costco but when I went to buy it, it was gone!! They sell them in Home Depot.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
    Used both BGE and Primo. Primo more adjustable, bigger area, etc..... and best of all-- Primo is MADE IN USA. Sure... you'll pay $1,200 or so for one... but they are worth it. BGE is great too... but I'd lean towards Primo.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post

High heat for grilling
    Low and slow for smoking
    No flame ups
    Easy clean up
    Low Maintenance

http://www.traegergrills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Love my Traeger! Misquite pellets-)
    Thanks for your suggestions! Steve, I'll add the Traeger into my list. I've had iron grills in the past, from wood/charcoal burners and my actual propane (heading to semi-retirement... I like the clean taste but miss the smoky flavor), but I have also heard many great things on Kamado ceramic grills, so those are my top choices.

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    Personally, I am the kinda guy that if its going to break around 200, I would examine building brick smoker / grill outside as well, which can have some awesome @$$ accessories (Fridge, Hearth Pizza area, etc).

When You look at the overall situation, you get more for the cash, but you lose the ability to take it with you... UNLESS, you put fork truck steel things under it. then you can take it with you!

Just trying to muddy the water more, cause Im a douche like that.

Also if you brick make it, you can build a bar in it, and we all know I like bars.
    I like where you are going. I had a brick grill/smoker back in my dad's house next to the pool. Loved it, but unfortunatly I could not move the whole thing with me

That being said, I appreciate your suggestion, but I need something a little more portable. And having fork steels for easier moving is not exactly what I had in mind to make it portable...
    Last edited by bullant12; 05-30-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Removed Firefly's quote so that I can ask him a question in a different post.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Used both BGE and Primo. Primo more adjustable, bigger area, etc..... and best of all-- Primo is MADE IN USA. Sure... you'll pay $1,200 or so for one... but they are worth it. BGE is great too... but I'd lean towards Primo.
    I agree with you on the Primo... but as far as price goes it seems that both BGE and Primo is on the same price range... I'm I correct? If that is the case, are the accesories around the same price?...

Previously owned:

arntufun

Although peoples opinions on this forum are usually good, if you need info on smokers you really need to ask the two experts.

cheech-chong-smokin.jpg
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-30-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Well... I guess not everybody in SL is interested in smoking/grilling.... Rather eat than work...

Anyway... I went (actually my wife) and got the Primo XL. Let's see how dem briskets are going to come out!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Good choice with the Primo. I use the Primo XL Oval. I've cooked whole chickens, turkeys, ribs, burgers, grilled shrimp, fish, steaks, corn on-the-cob, whole potatoes, etc... on it.

With that said, I'm still trying to master smoking brisket on it. The ceramic retains the heat so well, that even at low temps, I can cook a brisket in about 4 or 5 hours using temps of 190F-200F. I keep an eye on the temps and use an internal digital thermometer to check for doneness. The next time I make an attempt, I'm going to try 180F and see if I can get it to smoke longer. It doesn't taste bad, but it is doesn't have much of the smoke ring and flavor that I'd like and it could be a little more tender.

The Primo is expensive and works like the BGE, but it has a few advantages. The grill area is not recessed like it is in the BGE. If you have to move something off the grill, you have to reach into the BGE to get it. On the Primo, I can slide what I'm cooking right onto a plate with ease. I can also use better indirect cooking on the Primo because I can divide the fire box and only put wood on one side. I can then either use ceramic plates between the food and the fire or cook the food over the side that doesn't have a fire built under it. I don't know about the BGE, but Primo also makes accessories that can allow you to cook on multiple levels. I can flip half of the standard grill and get it about 2 inches closer to the fire for charring something and leave the otherside at normal height. I can also add another accessory that will stack onto the standard grill for more cooking surface at a different height. The Primo XL is very flexible.
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 06-13-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nice table!!

Quote Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
    Good choice with the Primo. I use the Primo XL Oval. I've cooked whole chickens, turkeys, ribs, burgers, grilled shrimp, fish, steaks, corn on-the-cob, whole potatoes, etc... on it.

With that said, I'm still trying to master smoking brisket on it. The ceramic retains the heat so well, that even at low temps, I can cook a brisket in about 4 or 5 hours using temps of 190F-200F. I keep an eye on the temps and use an internal digital thermometer to check for doneness. The next time I make an attempt, I'm going to try 180F and see if I can get it to smoke longer. It doesn't taste bad, but it is doesn't have much of the smoke ring and flavor that I'd like and it could be a little more tender.

The Primo is expensive and works like the BGE, but it has a few advantages. The grill area is not recessed like it is in the BGE. If you have to move something off the grill, you have to reach into the BGE to get it. On the Primo, I can slide what I'm cooking right onto a plate with ease. I can also use better indirect cooking on the Primo because I can divide the fire box and only put wood on one side. I can then either use ceramic plates between the food and the fire or cook the food over the side that doesn't have a fire built under it. I don't know about the BGE, but Primo also makes accessories that can allow you to cook on multiple levels. I can flip half of the standard grill and get it about 2 inches closer to the fire for charring something and leave the otherside at normal height. I can also add another accessory that will stack onto the standard grill for more cooking surface at a different height. The Primo XL is very flexible.
    That is one of the meany reasons I went with the Primo XL over the Kamado BGE. I like the idea also that I can have one side for direct and the other for indirect heat source, or even have one with wood and the other with natural charcoal. It is so versital! Hopefully you can get the tempeture down to your desire... maybe use less wood or burn more to obtain the desired heat.

Previously owned:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking to buy a used Lang 48 or 60 but it's difficult to find a used one...Looks like I'm gonna have to spring a couple grand for a new one...