Spyder Garage

Default Pushing through the corners feels as if the suspension will give...

Hopefully someone can provide some assistance...

When taking a turn from either a stop or while in motion I experience what I believe to be some tire slide (Front Tires)
    Example, when I am at a stop light making a Left; when I accelerate out of the turn I feel as if my suspension will give out and snap. From time to time I feel the tires sliding and am somewhat reserved at this point when it comes to these turns.

I am not peeling out while turning nor am I accelerating too hard.
    For those of you who are not aware, I am riding a 2012 RSS SE5.

I have just passed the 1k KM mark and am taking it in for maintenance. What do you suggest in terms of Tire Pressure and FOX Suspension adjustments that could potentially address my aforementioned concern?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

DE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Derek,
    I'm not sure what could impart that feeling to you...
    Unless you're snapping the bars left while under full power from a dead stop; maybe???
    What are your front tire pressures set at?
    If you're sliding the front tires; Nanny will step in and bring a quick halt to all of the fun... (Happened yestyerday to me!)
    Rethink your approach to the turning process and let us know if the situation impoves...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What front tire pressure are you running? I'd recommend trying something around 20 psi.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

What Scotty said. Low tire pressure will make it feel like your sliding due to "tire rollover." Also, what are your front shocks set to?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I'll take a gander when I get home from work today regarding the Shocks and the Tire Pressure.

I expect that adjusting the Suspension and PSI would correct the problem! Here's hoping!!!

:>

Tx

Spyder Garage

I can't add anything more to the above. Let us know when you get it figured out. You have a beautifull looking

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post
    Hopefully someone can provide some assistance...

When taking a turn from either a stop or while in motion I experience what I believe to be some tire slide (Front Tires)
    Example, when I am at a stop light making a Left; when I accelerate out of the turn I feel as if my suspension will give out and snap. From time to time I feel the tires sliding and am somewhat reserved at this point when it comes to these turns.

I am not peeling out while turning nor am I accelerating too hard.
    For those of you who are not aware, I am riding a 2012 RSS SE5.

I have just passed the 1k KM mark and am taking it in for maintenance. What do you suggest in terms of Tire Pressure and FOX Suspension adjustments that could potentially address my aforementioned concern?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

DE
    Next time you feel this take a look down at your cluster,are you seeing any icons lit up?

Spyder Garage

x2 when I've experienced this it was always the nanny micro babysitting, a little too much throttle or some sand on the road and I'd get the nanny light.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CatsJ35 View Post
    x2 when I've experienced this it was always the nanny micro babysitting, a little too much throttle or some sand on the road and I'd get the nanny light.
    Accelerating too quickly while turning sharply will irritate Miss Nanny every time. It takes smooth moves in the turn and rolling on the throttle a little later and more gradually than you might think. Practice will improve your corner exits. Try to delevop a smooth technique.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The new RSS has a pretty tight suspension compared to the older RS's and can be a little more "happy" on the road in aggressive handling.

Set your front tires to 24psi to start.
    Jack the front end up and turn your shocks to 5.
    Go take a few corners (left and right) and note how it feels.

Does the bike go straight instead of turning? Understeer generally means more traction in the rear than in the front. An atypical situation on a Spyder. Tire pressure and shock settings can help here, but if you're already at the stiffest shock setting and high pressure in the tires... try lowering the rear tire pressure or softening the rear shock.

Does it do the same when you turn the other direction? Could be alignment or something damaged in the front suspension.

If the pushing feeling goes away at these high settings, back down one notch at a time until it feels comfortable (5 on the fox shocks make for a pretty rough ride) and you can lower the front tire pressure. Somewhere between 18 and 20 are what most people have found best on an RS.

Eventually you'll lower it to the point where the back end wants to come around. Assuming you are sure it's not throttle induced, increase the rear shock and/or rear tire pressure (25-30psi is typical in the rear)

Your goal is to be fairly close to neutral with a slight bias towards understeer (pushing) as you can always induce a little oversteer (fishtailing) by adding power. The nanny wants neutral. It reacts harshly to oversteer at speed (which is fishtailing and lifting an inside tire). It is more gentle in how it reacts to understeer (when you turn, but the vehicle goes straight.)

You have the tools, go play
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll going to have the adjustment done and I'll let you know how it goes.:-D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'll be waiting to hear...
    Good Luck!