Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tools for travel

Any recommendations on what size and combination of tools are needed for a travel toolbox? I did a search and only found recommendations for an at home setup.

Sorry if this is a repeat post.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A couple of things I always take with me is a roll of Gorilla tape and some JB Weld a air pump and patch kit. (No I don't use Ride On)
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, have some rubber bands on you. A buddy had a bolt break, and was able to use a rubber band to hold the part together long enough to get his RT to his mechanic that was about 80 miles away.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Those are some good tips and will add to the kit. Assuming by the replies there isn't anything else we can fix in an emergency requiring tools? At this point, my biggest limitation will be the lack of Internet service to look up a fix, but wouldn't fix a thing with the one missing tool I should have had... :confused:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Those are some good tips and will add to the kit. Assuming by the replies there isn't anything else we can fix in an emergency requiring tools? At this point, my biggest limitation will be the lack of Internet service to look up a fix, but wouldn't fix a thing with the one missing tool I should have had... :confused:

Every owner is different in his/her capabilities to attempt a roadside fix. Therefore, everyone's tool selection will be a little different. There is no reason to tell someone to take the tools needed for a complete overhul if they have never gone beyond checking the oil. Take what you have used at home...a convenient screwdriver to remove body panels (if you don't like the toolkit selection), some shop rags, a flashlight, multimeter, etc. I would not recommend trying anything on the road that you haven't attempted at home, unless you are a competent mechanic. A cell phone is your best friend. If you do know what to take, and how to use the tools, a copy of the shop manual on your phone, iPod, or netbook/laptop can be handy.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Been looking for the shop manual. Hadn't occurred to me to put it on my phone when I get it. Will definitely do that :o