Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT wanna be

So I'm wondering if there are any 2011 or 2012 RT owners out there in the vicinity of Fort Pierce, Florida (about 50 miles north of West Palm Beach). I have a few questions that I'd really like to hear from actual RT owners versus dealership sales personnel trying to make a sale.......thank you.

CD8TR

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sent you PM
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

You will get some good answers about 2011 and 2012 RT's from this site for sure. I don't qualify (2010 RT).

One way is to voice your questions here, but the best way is to go for a test drive and see what you think.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CD8TR View Post
    So I'm wondering if there are any 2011 or 2012 RT owners out there in the vicinity of Fort Pierce, Florida (about 50 miles north of West Palm Beach). I have a few questions that I'd really like to hear from actual RT owners versus dealership sales personnel trying to make a sale.......thank you.

CD8TR
    PI have a 2012 RT Limited. What would you like to know? I am not a sales person of anything, just an owner.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

1)For those of you who have owned large touring bikes (eg.Goldwing, LT BMW, Harley, etc.), what are the +/-'s following your change?
    2) My test drives have been limited to urban driving. Power seems adequate, and I like the exhaust note and overall smoothness. Can this machine run comfortably 75-80 mph during blasts out on the interstate? Any appreciable difference with a passenger on board...?
    3) Anything you especially like as far as features, design, or overall execution of the Spyder RT?
    4) Anything you wish was different, or dare I say better/improved upon?
    5) Any negatives from the passenger's viewpoint?

Thank you for your feedback!

CD8TR

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am a X goldwing rider and I do not regret the move to the RT, The number one thing I like is I don't have to worry about falling over. I feel much safer on the RT than I did on two wheels and I have been riding 2 wheels for 48 yrs. are there things that could be improved yes but that applies to all bikes. you ask about speed I have had mine in the triple digits and it will run as fast as your better half will allow you to. I feel much safer riding at night then on 2 wheels.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

1)For those of you who have owned large touring bikes (eg.Goldwing, LT BMW, Harley, etc.), what are the +/-'s following your change?
    2) My test drives have been limited to urban driving. Power seems adequate, and I like the exhaust note and overall smoothness. Can this machine run comfortably 75-80 mph during blasts out on the interstate? Any appreciable difference with a passenger on board...?
    3) Anything you especially like as far as features, design, or overall execution of the Spyder RT?

CD8TR
    2011 RTS SE5 owner in Cocoa up the road from you.
    1) Had a 2004 HD Electra Glide and would never go back. Loved the HD, love the RTS more.
    2) That speed on I-95 is a breeze. It's the other guys you have to watch out for. I have never seen a difference with a rider.
    3) Cruise, seat, power. overall looks, SE5 and the rock star treatment.
    4) Turn signal switch hard to shut manually.
    5) My wife loves riding on the RT, not so much on the RS before we traded.

Any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.
    Good dealer in Grant, not too far from you.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

Apples & oranges. The only comparison between any of those bikes (& I've owned them all, and many more) is that you have to wear a helmet in Oregon to ride them. Spyders are more closely aligned to an ATV or snowmobile, with similar riding "styles".

You will hate your new Spyder for the first 300 miles, then you will have adjusted to it, and will either love it or hate it. For me, I started with an RS, and swapped to an RT in 2010. For most of that time, I had another two wheeler to ride, but not anymore. The majority of my riding is around town and in traffic - nothing else compares with the Spyder, especially the SE version, around town or in traffic.

Riding the superslab is the same for any bike, a tiring waste of riding time, but, similar for all the big bikes. All have cruise control, entertainment (radio, iPod connectivity, etc), all are reasonably comfortable, all can carry a ton of stuff, and the spyder is roughly the same footprint as a trike, but reversed.

Trikes and spyders are also vastly different - but the spyder is a much safer ride.

I recommend that you find a place to rent one, and put that first 300 miles on a rental. If it generates fond dreams when you get home, buy one.

JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 rt-s

I agree completely that the Spyder is more like an atv or snowmobile. There is no leaning, no countersteering, only fun! I still have my Yamaha Venture full dresser, the more I ride my Spyder the closer the Venture comes to being sold. My wife would never ride on the back of my bikes (or her own) and has just passed her m/c license test so she can drive the Spyder if need be. There is a lot more power on tap one up vs. two, but still plenty two up. Make sure you fit comfortably seat to pegs to handlebars, as it can be expensive to change geometry between them. Go for it!

Spyder Garage

CD8TR
    1. I wouldn't consider it a touring bike, but I had an 800 pound HD Road King that I loved, but I like my spyder RT better.

2. Power is fine, but I wish it had more. I'm used to the torque of my HD, but the spyder motor is only 2/3rds the size of the HD motor.

3. Spyder is safer. It has vehicle stability control and ABS. I don't worry about the spyder tipping over during slow parking lot manuevers, stop and go traffic, or at stop lights when my wife decides to squirm around on the back.

4. I don't like the turn signals. I have a 2012 and apparently the self cancelling is better on the newer spyders, but if I turn on the signal to change lanes, the turn signal doesn't cancel automatically unless I wait for 30 seconds. If I try to cancel it myself, most of the time I wind up turning on the opposite turn signal and confuse the drivers behind me. I gave up on cancelling manually and let it time out. The cancelling works fine when using it to turn corners.

I also get a vibration at around 5k rpm that I think is a harmonic from the drive belt or the motor. I can feel it in the foot pegs, handlebars, and the seat. After I get beyond about 5500 rpm, the vibration lessens. I'm hoping that the belt needs adjustment and that the vibration will lessen after I get the belt looked at during my 600 mile service. I can live with it though, so it isn't a deal breaker for me.

5. My wife seems happy on the back, but she wants me to get some armrests installed for her to use. She is still adjusting to leaning in the corners since it is a different experience than on the HD, but she isn't complaining. She also likes that the bike is more stable with 3 wheels. When she squirms around to get comfortable, she isn't effecting the spyder like she did on the HD.
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 05-26-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

I like most have had quite a few bikes, dirt bikes, racers, scooters and atv's.

I just traded my 2006 Goldwing for a 2012 RT-Limted and could not be happier.

1) I miss the silky smooth 6 cylinder engine of the Goldwing, but the RT is still a dream to ride. No bike is ever perfect, scan some of the GL forums and you find owners spenders thousands on upgrade to for comfort. For such a large bike the GL suspension is weak most will send 5K on a full monty set up. To me the ride and comfort of the Spyder out of the box is better than my old GL. The GL was near a thousand pound bike two up pulling a trailer it was a dream to ride, but once in traffic with wife and trailer it was a pig to handle.

2) Power is there but like most be nice to have a little bit more, The RT is geared for touring so its great for long rides out to the middle of nowhere. The cruise control is smother on the RT, my GL used to jerk as it tried to maintain the chosen speed. It handles fine on the slab single or two up. I still have not pushed mine only got 625 miles on it (only had it 7 days). Adjustable windscreen is really nice and sadly missing on the GL.

3) The integration of all the goodies is done better than the GL. I have the radio, gps, cellphone, cb etc. The sound is richer and you can mix both speaker and head set. GL was one or the other. Still have issues setting up the cell phone, I can hear them but others say they just hear the bike and not me talking I'm sure this is just set up.

4) As pointed out turn signal manual cancelation sucks. Heat, wish it had better heat removal, I had a bottle of water in my left bag today that literally was boiling, never had this with the GL. Needs better insulation and venting.

4) All positive from the wife, she can get on and off with out my aid, more comfortable than the GL, no buffering, boy the GL knocked you head around. She feels safer and enjoys the ride more as she is relaxed more.

No bike is ever perfect but for me this is as close to perfect out of the box, I have ordered some seal floorboards hoping to get these before Amerciade because I don't like pegs other than that anything I add will just be icing on the cake.

I do not have buyer remorse or miss my GL, I would do this again, this is one of the best bikes I have ever had. If I miss two wheels in a year or two I will get a used sports tourer but we're keeping the spyder.

Best advice and already offered see if you can rent one for a weekend and put some good milage on it.

best of luck

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

...thank you all so very much for the insight and feedback. REALLY appreciate the comments!
    CD8TR

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011-12 RT Q&A

1) This is my first bike, so I have no opinion on this.
    2) I rode from Vegas to Tucson at about 80-85 most of the way and it seemed all good.
    3) Comfortable seats and plenty of pickup through the gears-love running the curves up in the mountains above Tucson.
    4) Need better heat venting off the engine. Mine and passenger's feet sweat from the heat coming off engine and catalytic converter until I bought the heat shields/blocks off spyderpops website. Ditto other's comments about the turn signals. It usually takes a couple of times of pressing it "straight in" to get it shut off.
    5) Needs armrests for the passengers-another aftermarket solution solved this.
    Last edited by cubuff70; 05-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RTs and luv the experience. Had two medium size cruizers for some years and traded to the Spyder. It is well suited to two up ryding with heaps of luggage space. We comfortably get gear in for a ten day trip (have to wash clothes but no probs, my wife taught me well). There is a lot of strange and curios things you have to remember and live with bit then again it is the same with most things we have. Main things is that you need to know about it and then make an informed decision that you are prepared to live with it or not. Heat, turn signal, narrow seat up front, warning lights are all there, but for better or worse you stick to it when you "marry" into this family. Please note the use of the Y.... Happy ryding whether you buy it or not and i would love to hear your comments.

Spyder Garage

Default another point.....

There is something you should be ready for...

Everytime you stop people will have questions, yes even @ stop signs and red lights. Ever been a rock star? Thats about how it is on a spyder. Folks takin pictures of you and your Spyder all the time. Rydin, (or flying down the interstate @100 mph or more) sittin, or parked in you front yard. I have had a dozen people stop while I was at home and ask if they could look @ my Spyder-s. We had two and will again! down to one right now. My wife loved it so much we bought her one!
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH