Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Inexpensive Com Unit

My wife and I are now taking longer rides on our Spyder. I'm looking for a good inexpensive setup so we can discuss the sites we see without turning heads and yelling. If I want to be yelled at I'll wait till I get home

Thank you in advance for any recommendation.

Mark
    Mods:
    Can Am 23" Windshield & Tank Bag. Corbin seat w/gas flap and backrests. Protective covers for shocks.Sena SMH10 headsets. Wrapped header pipe with insulating tape. GPS mount for Garmin Nuvi 680. Various lights from Custom Dynamics. Hand Brake, Floorboards, Brake Pedal & Fancan from ISCI. Parking Brake extension, Floorboard tabs, Wheelchair mount.

Spyder Garage

This works well and lists for $129. I got it on Amazon for around $ 95.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena Bluetooth

I recommend that you shy away from inexpensive intercoms. What you pay for is indeed what you will get when you are talking helmet intercoms. Sound quality and ease of use are two important things that are worth paying a bit extra for. Trust me, I have been down the road with inexpensive intercom mono sound units and you really don't want to go there.

I prefer the wireless stereo headset units, only because there are no dangling wires to contend with. The Sena wireless units work very well with good stereo sound quality as well as ease of use. It is very important to be able to jog the intercom on and off with the push of a readily accessible button that can be operated easily with gloves. We have the SMH10 units and all of the functionality that we were looking for is packed into these units. The Sena SMH5 headsets go for about $220.00 for the dual pack and add another $80.00 for the SMH10 dual pack.

Besides the great intercom functionality of these bluetooth units, you will also be able to pair the headsets to any other Bluetooth enabled device (cell phone, GPS, MP3 player etc...) Note: there are other brand name quality units out there as well, both wireless and wired.

I suggest that you visit www.webbikeworld.com and browse through their reviews of the different brands of helmet intercoms. Great resource to help assist you in choosing the right helmet intercom for your specific needs.

Again, I urge you to stay away from the lower end intercoms systems. Their price point is where it is for a reason.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We got the Scala Teamset Pro on Ebay for $168... They're normally about $285. If you shop carefully, there are bargains out there on any of the intercom units. Definitely go with a wirelss setup... cords will always find a way to be a pain in the
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, cheap comm units are only worth what you pay for them. Go with a proven system that has good reviews...Scala Cardo G4 or the new G9, or the Sena SMH10.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 05-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The G4 is a beauty for sure. For use as just an intercom; wouldn't it be a bit of overkill? The one that we got for this type of usage has nowhere near the RANGE of the G4, but unless you're talking bike to bike; do you need it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

I can always count on my peers for great advice and recommendations. Thank you and ride safe.....Maahhk
    Mods:
    Can Am 23" Windshield & Tank Bag. Corbin seat w/gas flap and backrests. Protective covers for shocks.Sena SMH10 headsets. Wrapped header pipe with insulating tape. GPS mount for Garmin Nuvi 680. Various lights from Custom Dynamics. Hand Brake, Floorboards, Brake Pedal & Fancan from ISCI. Parking Brake extension, Floorboard tabs, Wheelchair mount.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In my opinion, cheap comm un its are only worth what you pay for them. Go with a proven system that has good reviews...Scala Cardo G4 or the new G9, or the Sena SMH10.
    Nancy may have better experience with the G9 than I am having - even calling Cardo has been a chore this week. On hold for LONG times and end up hanging up. Furthering my sinking feeling on regret sorry to say.

Every likes the G4's that are using them though so apparently a more proven technology.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Someone posted a while back about the video on Revzilla.com about com units.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This may be a stupid question, but do you have to use a full helmet?

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Default Interphone F5

I run the interphone F5's they are pretty sweet. Not the cheapest out there but they work well. www.cyclebots.com is where I got mine.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

We use Cardo G4. As for customer service, I have always gotten thru instantly and found them very patient and helpful. When I called with problems two days ago, they helped me setup the units and followed up with a email refining what we did incase I needed to do it again! That is customer service!

Larry
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2 tin cans and some string total cost 1.00..

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Full Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but do you have to use a full helmet?

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards
    Yes I do have a full and a half. I would use whichever helmet I would need at the time.

Thanks for inquiring

Mark
    Mods:

Spyder Garage

Default funny but true

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    I did see one that uses air, but pretty close
    Mods:

Spyder Garage

Other's have given great advice.

Stay away from cheap--you get what you pay for most of the time.

Cardo and Sena seem to get the most and best reviews. I use Cardo myself.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have the J&M wired set already, but haven't installed them. Doesn't seem the set we have will fit my wife's Nolan N43 helmet, so we need to get her a different set. I've read the J&M sound pretty good, but if I have to replace her set, I will be pretty close to an smh10, which would include two sets.

Is there a way to connect the sena to the Spyder's existing system/radio via some type of blue tooth adapter?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

I love our SENA SHM10, it is great to be able to communicate with my passenger or other riders around me. The bluetooth capabilities are great as well works with our phones, and with our ipods.

Since Jake and I are going to Spyders in the Adirondacks in August but Jake is driving the bike, and I'm driving our car ( ) with the fur-kids and supplies for a week stay. We shave and up an extra helmet set up for the Sena so I can talk to him from the car using the Sena instead of having to use cell phones. I will just use an ear bud in my ear, and have the velcro microphone connected to my collar. This way we can just voice activation to connect and talk if one of us wants to point something out, needs a break, or the pups need a potty break. I thought I'd look a little silly driving our RSX with my full face motorcycle helmet on ..lol
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In my opinion, cheap comm un its are only worth what you pay for them. Go with a proven system that has good reviews...Scala Cardo G4 or the new G9, or the Sena SMH10.

Agree with Scottu here.

Spyder Garage

We have the Scala Team Pro and they work great. I also added my Sirius satellite radio and wired it to the headsets. While the voice activation is great while listening to the radio it would cut out from the wind noise. So I took off the foam pads on the microphone and covered the front facing microphone with some black electical tape. Put the foam back on it all worked great. Now unless it is very windy and a cross wind at that we can listen to the radio unless one of us wants to say something. Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    I saw them on Amazon for .50 cents.
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Spyder Garage

We have the G4's also, and love them. We Bluetooth them to out Iphone's and listen to music. goor reception between each for about a mile.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
    I saw them on Amazon for .50 cents.
    dang it i over paid again..

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back in the old days of full face helmets, we just used to touch them together and yell.

Every time I felt her helmet touch mine, I knew she had something to say ... or she'd fallen asleep.

But that was before all this technology!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    Back in the old days of full face helmets, we just used to touch them together and yell.

Every time I felt her helmet touch mine, I knew she had something to say ... or she'd fallen asleep.

But that was before all this technology!

thehawk
    When riding two up and our com unit is not working...I find the "slap" on the helmet method works best to get my point across to Butch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12