Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Poor man's backrest

Had an oddball idea the other day for a way to give my back some support without modifying the seat. Instead of a backrest, I created strap that wraps around the top of the handle bar hub and then around my back.

I had a couple of 2" wide, adjustable utility belts lying around. They have a plastic snap-together clasp that I could use to hook them together to create one long strap. I threaded the strap around the top of the hub of the handle bars, under the handle bars, and around my back. I finally connected the clasp and adjusted the strap length. After a short ride with it, I decided it didn't interfere with the steering and was ready for a long-distance ride.

I had an over-night trip planned last weekend that was about 3 hours each way -- a perfect test. I'm here to report that it worked exactly as I had hoped. It's not perfect, but I thought I'd share it with the forum and see if someone more creative than I might see a way to improve on it.

Pros
    - Simple. Easily installed and requires no permanent modifications. Also easily removed and stored.
    - Cheap. I haven't actually shopped for the materials, but I suspect they can be found inexpensively at a fabric or hardware store.
    - Comfortable. It definitely provided the back support I was needing. At its worst, it tended to squeeze in at my sides when I put a lot of pressure on it. I'm thinking about wrapping the back with something softer -- maybe sheepskin.
    - Doesn't interfere with the passenger.
    - Adaptable. I usually preferred it up around my lower ribs, but liked the fact that I could slide it up and down to different parts of my back.
    - Doesn't interfere with steering. In fact, I felt more stable on harder turns.

Cons
    - Safety? Not sure I want to be strapped to the bike if I were to roll it.
    - Dorky. Definitely isn't attractive (especially when the straps are emblazoned with a repeating company logo.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that we'd all really like to see a picture of this rig in action.
    If you continue to use it; please keep us in the loop with reports as to how it works out.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting concept. I would also like to see some pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

IMHO not a good idea as it ties you to the Spyder. In case of an accident, I think I'd want to fall free from the Spyder instead of ending tied to it upside down. Not saying the strap doesn't provide support. I'm sure it did. I just wouldn't want to be tied to the Spyder with anything.
    Marilyn

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOW CHEAP IS CHEAP

I bought a Utopia for $105 delivered on-line and put it on my 08 G/S ....I guess I could have just gone with a rope for a lot less.....What ever works is the Best thing..........Mike......I do like the way you think tho.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here's a couple of pictures.

IMG_0038.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Could likely design a breakaway system using Velcro or something similar in case of an accident.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
    Here's a couple of pictures.

IMG_0038.jpgIMG_0041.jpg
    I think if it makes your ride more enjoyable and gives you the needed suppport its a Winner!!!!

Now for me Just sitting on the RT would be a Big improvement BUT I won,t sacrifice the GS/RS type ride.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    IMHO not a good idea as it ties you to the Spyder. In case of an accident, I think I'd want to fall free from the Spyder instead of ending tied to it upside down. Not saying the strap doesn't provide support. I'm sure it did. I just wouldn't want to be tied to the Spyder with anything.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as it doesn't get bound up or twisted with you as you turn the bars, it sure looks like a viable option.
    Thanks for the pics too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a friend who uses a tour bag on the passenger seat, as a back rest - works well for him. That said, he's single & never has a passenger on his RT.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I, also, would be concerned about it if you were in an accident... and we all know that can happen in an instant.

Also, concerned about any interference with the steering.

I would check into a larger back-brace instead if it were me. I have major back problems. I use a brace, and it works fine.

Good luck on your creative idea though!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners