Spyder Garage

Default Key locked in Frunk!

I wasn't going to say anything because it was so stupid. Friday I went into Las Vegas to go to the movies to see Battleship. I parked and took off the helmet and put it in the Frunk. I turned the handle bars and locked them, then took the key out and as always was going to put in my pocket. For some stupid reason I put it in my vest pocket. Then I took the vest off and put in the Frunk. As I let go of the lid to close, I thought where did I put the key. As it locked I remembered. Looking around I said to myself in a nasty way, I will deal with it when I come back from the movie. When the movie was over, and it was very good by the way, kept me from thinking about the key, I went back to good ole bad name Spyder. At first I thought I will just grab the lid and yank it open. Doesnt work. Call AAA. All they would do is bring a big bar to pry it open. Then the bulb brightened. I took off the side cover for oil checking. Between the coil, exhaust pipe and the top cover, there is just enough room to slip an arm in and up to grab the cable which lays just about 15 inches inside. I grabbed the sheath and gave a little tug and walla, frunk popped right open. Spyder lost its bad name and I was very pleased. Lucky too. Spyders forever.

Spyder Garage
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm usually leaning over the handlebars to be sure the key is in the ignition as I'm lowering the front trunk lid. It would be more likely that I would leave the key in the ignition and walk away but I still worry that I've locked it in the frunk.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Glad you were able to get your key. Thanks for the post. I'm going to look for that cable to see if I can unlock my frunk. I never would have thought about that.

Spyder Garage

Default happy

Glad you had a good outcome I also locked my key in trunk, at home of all places... BTW Lost my extra key... dummy me - thats been taken care of! I pryed the lid up a bit and used a wire to release the latch.

Don't feel to bad - Stuff happens! Thanks for the movie review! LOL
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that post. Fixing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
    Glad you were able to get your key. Thanks for the post. I'm going to look for that cable to see if I can unlock my frunk. I never would have thought about that.
    Not so easy on an RT. Carry an extra key or a non-chipped key cut from a blank. It is your only good alternative.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Key in Frunk

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Not so easy on an RT. Carry an extra key or a non-chipped key cut from a blank. It is your only good alternative.
    Best alternative is to get Lamonster's IPS Key thingie. Just leave it in the ignition.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THOUGHTS ABOUT USEFUL INFORMATION

Just a thought here, as a former LEO I can accurately report to you that THIEVES lurk on our type of sites just looking for useful info that can help them ply their trade. So maybe a bit of caution should be exercised in sharing idea's that I would agree are great but so would they for different reasons.......Just thinking out loud ....not scolding.....Mike....stay safe.....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just a thought here, as a former LEO I can accurately report to you that THEIVES lurk on our type of sites just looking for useful info that can help them ply their trade. So maybe a bit of caution should be exercised in sharing idea's that I would agree are great but so would they for different reasons.......Just thinking out loud ....not scolding.....Mike....stay safe.....
    Best way to beat the thieves, full cover insurance. I know, not the best but then the thieves do have to find us. Please thief, come to my house and try to steal my . My Wolves haven't eaten yet.

Spyder Garage

I've a (well) hidden button that is electircally operated at all times to open my trunk.

Spyder Garage

Caution is good but if someone really wants to get into your Spyder or your car while you are parked in a public place there aint much we can do.

Luckily for us Spyders are still attracting lots of attention, so thief might think twice before doing suspicious activity arround them

Spyder Garage

Glad you did not have to demolish the trunk lid and that you found a solution. I always carry a spare key with me since I locked a key in my car one time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have worked on a habit that the last thing I do with the RT is lock the steering (the front trunk can be closed at any time this way)...the key is in the ignition until I do so...I have a non-chip key for the rear trunk. After pulling out the key it goes into the holder, which is on a key ring and into my pants pocket. So far, so good since 2008 and many miles and stops.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just a thought here, as a former LEO I can accurately report to you that THIEVES lurk on our type of sites just looking for useful info that can help them ply their trade. So maybe a bit of caution should be exercised in sharing idea's that I would agree are great but so would they for different reasons.......Just thinking out loud ....not scolding.....Mike....stay safe.....
    Good point Mike! Thanks!

So... Was the movie worth seeing?? It looks as if Memorial Day weekend is going to be a wet one, so i'm looking for options!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black