Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry ONLY IN CALIFORNIA - DMV!!!

Help!!!

The gal at DMV says I have to expose the engine serial number as well as the one that is stamped on the frame. Per her she has to lay her eyes on them. Period, end of statement. No argument. I can either do it for her or take the Spyder to the CHP and per her they will take it apart to find them. A REAL SWEETIE SHE IS!!!!!!!

So, how much tuper ware (which pieces) do I need to remove to expose what is called out on page 160 in the owners manual, because she WAS NOT satisfied with the information on the stick on label attached to the swing arm.

Grrrr!!!

Thanks
    Jer
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-17-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: wrong page number

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

zrc

I suggest, in general, moving. Cause what in the hades is that crap. CA is getting pretty far out there with rules and laws and stuff. Makes me wonder when I will decide to leave the USA for somewhere more reasonable and less regulated.

Also I would mention that if that is the case, have her show you the serial number on her car.
    Last edited by zrc; 05-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Help!!!

The gal at DMV says I have to expose the engine serial number as well as the one that is stamped on the frame. Per her she has to lay her eyes on them. Period, end of statement. No argument. I can either do it for her or take the Spyder to the CHP and per her they will take it apart to find them. A REAL SWEETIE SHE IS!!!!!!!

So, how much tuper ware (which pieces) do I need to remove to expose what is called out on page 156 in the owners manual, because she WAS NOT satisfied with the information on the stick on label attached to the swing arm.

Grrrr!!!

Thanks
    Jer
    oh and how about mentioning how we can't even buy used cars/motorcycles and register in CA unless they have over 7,500 miles on them? How dumb is that?! I can't even find a used Spyder in CA for a price that doesn't rival a new one...

Laura
    ps- I will be down in your neck of the woods next month (in Indio actually). I'd love to see your Spyder!

Spyder Garage

That's the first complaint I heard about having to dismantle the tupperware so they can find the "real" serial number.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ask and I mean ask for a supervisor. Totally retarded.

Spyder Garage

That is The Land of Milk & Honey! Every state has some idiotic and senseless rules and procedures, but California is pretty far up the list...if not at the top.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Check out a thread on "born on date". It was quite awhile ago. Mentioning this might jog some of the senior members, that have better memory than I do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2tallLaura View Post
    oh and how about mentioning how we can't even buy used cars/motorcycles and register in CA unless they have over 7,500 miles on them? How dumb is that?! I can't even find a used Spyder in CA for a price that doesn't rival a new one...

Laura
    ps- I will be down in your neck of the woods next month (in Indio actually). I'd love to see your Spyder!
    Laura, you may have some bad information about the 7500 miles, here's what they say about that.

"What Is Considered a new Vehicle? California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state."

"Aren't all Vehicles California Certified? Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents."

And, I'm not 100% sure of this but I think all Spyders are Built to meet California emission requirements. To know for sure there is a label under the seat On Spyders that calls it out.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

PM me once you know more about your visit and we'll get together.

Jer
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-17-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: relocate sentences

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    That's the first complaint I heard about having to dismantle the tupperware so they can find the "real" serial number.
    Just got off the phone with the CHP. Explained to them that I have a notarized bill of sale with pictures of the spyder on the the form as well as the vehicles VIN number. They support what the woman at DMV said but, told me to pay all the fees at which time the DMV will issue me a temp operating sticker for X period of time, along with what they call a form 124 which has to be filled out by the CHP, verifying they have seen the numbers in question. So, I'll have to make an appointment for that, and he, (the CHP) tells me they use mirrors and different techniques to see hard to get to #'s. I kinda laughed to myself, and then asked, but what if you can't see them? He said then we have a problem.....I thought to myself.......WE ALREADY HAVE A PROBLEM!! but kept it to myself. If you ever thought the IRS was BIG BROTHER --- THEIR FIRST COUSIN is Cal. DMV.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    Check out a thread on "born on date". It was quite awhile ago. Mentioning this might jog some of the senior members, that have better memory than I do.
    This one ???
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=spyder+born

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=zrc;455263]I suggest, in general, moving. Cause what in the hades is that crap. CA is getting pretty far out there with rules and laws and stuff. Makes me wonder when I will decide to leave the USA for somewhere more reasonable and less regulated.

I think if you move to california, you have left the country....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post

Thanks, but California DMV will not accept anything that's on a sticker. They want ONLY - to see what is stamped in the steel. Oh, how I love this state!!!!!!!!

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Thanks, but California DMV will not accept anything that's on a sticker. They want ONLY - to see what is stamped in the steel. Oh, how I love this state!!!!!!!!
    OK, now you're leaving some precious info out. Where did you buy the bike and why does it have a sticker ID and not the stamped metal tag like on all the others? I have never encountered a vehicle with this form of ID.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nevada DMVs don't even have spyders in their computers yet after five years. They still have to get a supervisor to manually put the make/model info into the computer.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    OK, now you're leaving some precious info out. Where did you buy the bike and why does it have a sticker ID and not the stamped metal tag like on all the others? I have never encountered a vehicle with this form of ID.
    No sir - I've left nothing out. Perhaps you're JUMPING to conclusions!

1. There are a number of stickers on all Spyders that refer to it's VIN number.

2. It does have stamped ID's. Both on the frame and the engine block. (thus this post - how much tuper ware has to be pulled to expose these STAMPED NUMBERS.

3. And lastly - I bought the Spyder in Louisiana. And, just in case you are wondering it passes all California Emission standards. As, so stated on a STICKER under the saddle.

HOPE, this clears things up.

Jer

"not the stamped metal tag like on all the others?" Motorcycles DO NOT have stamped metal tag VIN ID
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post

The only "born on date" that I was aware of comes on the six pack carrier
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

The only "born on date" that I was aware of comes on the six pack carrier
    I seldom drink but, it would take more than a six pack tonight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're lucky that they accept the sticker under the seat for CA emissions and don't want that stamped in steel someplace too
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Do not even get me started on CA DMV! You don't have the time to hear the whole story and when I was done you would not believe it anyway. As close as I ever came to crying in public!

One of the big reasons I now live in East Tennessee. You can drive a dune buggy down the street here!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Having, in the old time, creating numerous CA/Federal vehicle approved stickers, "heard" of retyped frame # or plaque id, I do not see the big problem of having to show some stamping at the DMV... You want to have fun?? Move to Germany, Switzerland, France etc. it may take time to take off some tupperware but if it helps not registering a stolen bike, I am all for it!

Spyder Garage

According to the shop manual, the engine number is located near the left rear engine mount, above the exhaust pipe. Looks like it is on the left rear of the crankcase, toward the top. The frame is stamped toward the lower left front somewhere, although the pic shows the arrow behind the right wheel. I guess you're going to have to strip things down and hunt for a while. At least maybe this narrowed it down. Sorry, I couldn't copy the pics to illustrate things. Maybe someone else is a better hacker.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by prmurat View Post
    Having, in the old time, creating numerous CA/Federal vehicle approved stickers, "heard" of retyped frame # or plaque id, I do not see the big problem of having to show some stamping at the DMV... You want to have fun?? Move to Germany, Switzerland, France etc. it may take time to take off some tupperware but if it helps not registering a stolen bike, I am all for it!
    "Move to Germany, Switzerland, France etc." What's with the move to stuff? I've shed blood for this country.......and if I want to complain a little - I'm entitled to. Lighten up SANFRANCISCO!!
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-17-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    According to the shop manual, the engine number is located near the left rear engine mount, above the exhaust pipe. Looks like it is on the left rear of the crankcase, toward the top. The frame is stamped toward the lower left front somewhere, although the pic shows the arrow behind the right wheel. I guess you're going to have to strip things down and hunt for a while. At least maybe this narrowed it down. Sorry, I couldn't copy the pics to illustrate things. Maybe someone else is a better hacker.
    Use your 'Print Screen' key and Paint. You can get any picture there is on the internet that way.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Let's try this. Not as easy as you describe, but thanks for aiming me in the right direction, Ron.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What a story. What a DMV Idiot too.
    We like to say in this part of the country................
    "Bless Your Heart, for living' in California"