Spyder Garage

Default Warrantee Question

I am having an issue with my local dealer trying to getthe price down on a new RT-S and my question is if I buy from a dealer that isa distance away will the warrantee be honored by my local dealer I would hate to not have someone local to give me service. I know cardealers work that way but not sure of a Can Am, it is my first dealings withthem
    Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think the only place you can get an answer to your question is from the local dealer. When you get right down to it, they are the only ones who can make the decision and the only ones who can give you the answer. Warranty work should be done by any Can-Am dealer but if they choose not to do so, what can you do?

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Warranty work should be done by any Can-Am dealer but if they choose not to do so, what can you do?

Cotton

If any BRP can-am dealer that sells/services spyders refuses to do warranty work during the 2 year warranty period or extended period for the BEST warranty, you contact Carlo by e-mail. If he isn't back (from sabbatical), his counter part will call. If you have an actual problem, the e-mail address is on the home page.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-14-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

Under Federal law they cannot refuse to do the warranty work...but that does not mean they would do it well or willingly. I doubt you will know the real answer until the time comes.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    I am having an issue with my local dealer trying to getthe price down on a new RT-S and my question is if I buy from a dealer that isa distance away will the warrantee be honored by my local dealer I would hate to not have someone local to give me service. I know cardealers work that way but not sure of a Can Am, it is my first dealings withthem
    Thanks
    All Spyder dealers will do warranty work , But some will ask the question where did you buy it from,
    Then if they decide to do the work you might find they won't do the work in a timely manner, Especially if there busy.

Spyder Garage

Your question has been an ongoing complaint on this site. Legally, as a BRP dealer, any dealer is supposed to perform warranty work--regardless where the Spyder was purchased.

Some dealers who are not into customer service either perform shoddy work or tell the customer it will be 8 weeks or so before they can get to servicing your Spyder. They go out of their way to punish the purchaser of a Spyder from a different dealer.

I believe the names of these dealers should be posted so that the public can avoid them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

IMHO, if the dealer is using high pressure sales tactics, I wouldn't have a high confidence level in their service department performing any work. If I had to, I would travel the extra distance if my first "gut" opinion were like yours. Good Luck!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Under Federal law they cannot refuse to do the warranty work...but that does not mean they would do it well or willingly. I doubt you will know the real answer until the time comes.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Warrantee Question & Getting a Deal

I don't know about anyone else, but I checked 4 different dealers and the price was MSRP period. The only thing discounted were the 2011 leftovers and none of them were a color or configured the way I wanted mine.

Good for you if you can negotiate a lower price but it won't happen in Northern VA/DC or Maryland area.
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    Thanks
    I bought my RT in Illinois and the dealer in Daytona is doing warranty work without a second thought. OTOH, the dealer south of Palm Bay didn't want to have much to do with me. So I don't have anything to do with them. The Daytona dealer is great.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I absolutely agree. If they don't want to do the warranty work, it may take a very long time for them to get parts or to complete the work. The closest Ford dealer to me will do neither warranty work nor recalls. At least they were honest and just refused to do it rather than tying my vehicle up while I waited on parts or someone to do the job. Threatening to take my business elsewhere doesn't accomplish much since I have already bought the vehicle somewhere else and they don't want my service business. Fortunately, another dealer not much further away is happy to do both. I suppose I could try to have them prosecuted under Federal law but I doubt that would do me much good. I'll just take my business somewhere else. I remember a Hodaka dealer in Levelland, Texas who wouldn't even sell me parts because I didn't buy my Ace 100 from him. I thought he was cutting off his nose to spite his face but that's the way it was.

My Can-Am dealer, on the other hand, has given me fantastic service. Absolutely no complaints about them. But I talked to them pretty extensively about service before I bought the RT. In more than 40 years of riding both street and dirt bikes, I had taken a bike to a dealer for work only once. I always did my own service and my own work. But, frankly, the computerized systems, the need to hook up to B.U.D.S., and the overall complicated technology on the Spyder combined to make me more concerned about service than I'd ever been before. I wanted to know that they were capable and ready to maintain my RT and they've done an excellent job.

Again, I think your local dealeer is the only person who can answer your question. If it's a concern, why not just go ahead and ask them now?

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty and purchase

Agree to the above. Let your closest dealer you are going to go for the best deal and give him an opportunity to tell you his bottom line and how well he'll support you with the Spyder after the purchase, whether from him or someone else. If you don't like the answers, go with the alternative. I didn't even know there was a dealer about 25 miles from home. Been by there and all I had seen were ATV. Shame on me. Anyway, bought 45 miles away and they have been awesome. The folks at 25 have done a couple ad ons and done them well. I have a 3 year service agreement with my dealer. When that is used up, I'll probably give the 25 mile folks a chance with routene things.
    Do what you're comfortable with and I bet it'll all work out.

With another brand bike, the local guy was an a-hole. I would have bought one in Alaska before I would have given that guy any business.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

My local dealer absolutely refused to work on my BRP product with a four year BEST warranty because I didn't buy it from him. I contacted BRP and they were unable to convince him otherwise. And he is a "Platinum" BRP dealer. More like lead. I had to go to another dealer 90 miles and another state away.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow, this issue concerns me.

My first post.
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 Spyder from another dealer (not close enough to travel to), as my local dealer is not willing to deal on price or all the options I want, and does not have the trailer I want in stock. I've never had issue with any casr, ATV's, or my Goldwing and BMW motorcycles with getting good service from a local dealer that I did not purchase from. This highly concerns me if there are Spyder Dealers out there not willing to service the products. I can understand maybe attending to customers that purchased there first, but refusing to provide any service because a unit was not purchased there is horrible. The mfg. should step in and fix that issue immediately.
    This lends some thought before I make this large purchase.

Spyder Garage

I do hope BRP is listening and watching. If a dealer is going to sell Spyders, they should also be required to service Spyders, regardless of where purchased.

There are times when I feel that BRP will let anyone sell Spyders, as long as they invest in all the required Spyders, parts, and required sales equipment. Servicing seems to be a secondary thought.

I would sure like to be proven wrong on this assumption.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 600 Mile Service

I am hoping the local dealer takes care of me even though I bought elsewhere. They wouldn't budge 1 cent on the MSRP, so I drove 350 miles and saved almost $3000.00. Now I will find out if I am screwed on the service end?

Spyder Garage

I bought my RT in NH, and live in OR - the closest dealer (10 miles), is MSRP or nothing, and charges a higher labor rate than the BMW dealer. Fortunately, there's another dealer about 70 miles away that does want customers, and offers maintenance specials to boot - they just had a $107 oil & filter change special, which was 1/3 of the other dealer. Made it worth the time and gas. PLUS, they are a great and knowledgeable group.

You will find good and bad dealers everywhere - but, if one thinks they have you in a corner………
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member