Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I don't think it is overkill. I have thought about using a marine bilge fan for quite a while, and I don't even have a fan can or block plate. I don't think any other type of fan would be suitable, though. You need something that is explosion-proof in a confined area with fuel lines present, IMO.
    Been there, done that.

Spyder Garage

Just an updated FYI..I Installed the lower block off plate (left upper open). I left the lower cover on and drilled 2 one inch holes on the curved plastic (towards the inside) behind the fan. Right foot is definitely cooler and coolant temps are good in 90+ weather. It may even be slightly cooler as I've noticed the fan is kicking on less.
    If you're going to ride with feet on the normal pegs (or floorboards), this is probably the way to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Just an updated FYI..I Installed the lower block off plate (left upper open). I left the lower cover on and drilled 2 one inch holes on the curved plastic (towards the inside) behind the fan. Right foot is definitely cooler and coolant temps are good in 90+ weather. It may even be slightly cooler as I've noticed the fan is kicking on less.
    If you're going to ride with feet on the normal pegs (or floorboards), this is probably the way to go.
    Can you post a pic of the swoop with the holes drilled in it? I'm using the Seal FloorBoards and your solution may be the way that I want to go.

Spyder Garage

Here's a pic..I tried to keep it low since upper air on the swoosh can still exit the top opening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Here's a couple of approaches for ventilating the area behind the radiator/fan. The second one is my RT and I tried to route the air down and out the bottom instead of back under the tupperware. When the fan is running you can now feel strong air flow underneath, but a lot is still coming out the side.
    I currently have the top opening blocked but am about to switch and try it with the bottom one blocked.

heatxcape[1].jpg RT-venting.jpg
    Last edited by cjackg; 05-30-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don and Jackie from OZ

H,i I fitted the top block off plate and removed the bottom pan, and you will still get hot air out of bottom hole, which will not take much effort for it to hit your foot, so I moulded a piece of clear plastic to the left of the out-let, right on the edge, about 50mm deep and the full length of the opening, facing out into the slip stream, you can adjust by applying a bit of heat, this works for me, but allways the right foot is going to be a tad warmer! but now its not a problem and the mod looks pretty neat and hardly noticeable, cost, a few bucks. stay cool Don

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I was getting ready to order the Spyderpops block off plate and put a temperary black plastic one over the hole (made from a VHS tape box) as a test. Of course I removed the bottom cover for the air to get out. Now I have much more hot air getting on my foot from underneath as well as more air volume coming out the lower hole at my foot. Honestly, I have ridden across country and back in 90 to 100 degree temperatures and this past Saturday the temp. was barely a little over 80 here in East Tennessee and my foot was hotter (waring the same boots too). Maybe it is my RT S or I'm missing something.
    It really feels as though more hot air is coming up from under the bike now than before. I know that it is going to go somewhere but I thought it would dissapate and go out the back. Any Ideas on this or has anyone experienced the same condition with a block off plate. Please note that I am in no way putting down Spyderpops product, I think his items are great but in my case I am better off without it unless I am missing something.
    thanks for your ideas.

Stan

UPDATE: 5/18/12

OK, call me stupid! I think my boots are the problem! In the past, on long rides, I have used solid leather riding boots(6 inch biker boots), well, for the past few rides I have been waring Magnum Viper II's that are waterproof but have vent panels on the sides (they allow air but not water to go through). Yep! more heat is getting to my foot a lot quicker.
    After making temperary panels for the holes alternating from upper to lower hole, removing bottom panels, taking off tupperware and drilling relief holes in the
    "swoop scoop" aft of the fan and doing a lot test rides and a lot of pondering,,,,I fixed it by changing BOOTS! I have to laff at myself sometimes. DANG IT!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot for posting the pics of the new grill sets from Spyderpops. Now I gotta buy them

And when you look at my signature line, that will OBVIOUSLY mean X2 as she won't tolerate them on mine without being on hers.......

UPDATE - order placed..
    Last edited by Huntindawg1962; 05-30-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Here's a pic..I tried to keep it low since upper air on the swoosh can still exit the top opening.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Here's a couple of approaches for ventilating the area behind the radiator/fan. The second one is my RT and I tried to route the air down and out the bottom instead of back under the tupperware. When the fan is running you can now feel strong air flow underneath, but a lot is still coming out the side.
    I currently have the top opening blocked but am about to switch and try it with the bottom one blocked.
    Thanks for the pics. That will give me a better idea of how to approach it when I get the lower block-off plate. I'll leave the upper area open and either remove the bottom panel or drill holes like you guys did.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i'm going to have both block offs on this week that swoop in the pic i've made a lg hole there seems to help plus i had holes drilled in the bottom pan cover i was at flamingobabes and was talking to another ryder hes got both on his bike says all is good and since spyderpops was there i bought the lower block-off i just got go put it on and go ride for at least 100mi in the heat to see if it was worth it.also i'm looking at a mod for the seat by the glove box where all that heat comes up by the crotch area hope by ideal will work.i'll keep you all informed if i works.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    i'm going to have both block offs on this week that swoop in the pic i've made a lg hole there seems to help plus i had holes drilled in the bottom pan cover i was at flamingobabes and was talking to another ryder hes got both on his bike says all is good and since spyderpops was there i bought the lower block-off i just got go put it on and go ride for at least 100mi in the heat to see if it was worth it.also i'm looking at a mod for the seat by the glove box where all that heat comes up by the crotch area hope by ideal will work.i'll keep you all informed if i works.
    Looking forward to your response. I just received the lower block off plate and cat shield from SpyderPops along with the Baker Air Wings today in an attempt to manage some of the heat.

If your solution works, I'll order the upper block off plate too. I ordered a Kontour seat to help with the crotch heat, but I won't have the seat for a few weeks to know how well it works. The Texas heat/humidity combined with the spyder heat in stop and go traffic is almost unbearable.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lots of +and- about the block off plates. I'm new here, but with some temps in the 90's, I've noticed the hot air issue, but mostly just when wearing shorts. With jeans and simply tennis shoes, I've not had much issue. I like the idea, but concerned with blocking any air flow from the cooling system( ie: radiator). I was going to have one put on when at Cowtown last week, but decided to wait. Kind of glad I did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme View Post
    Lots of +and- about the block off plates. I'm new here, but with some temps in the 90's, I've noticed the hot air issue, but mostly just when wearing shorts. With jeans and simply tennis shoes, I've not had much issue. I like the idea, but concerned with blocking any air flow from the cooling system( ie: radiator). I was going to have one put on when at Cowtown last week, but decided to wait. Kind of glad I did.
    I'm still running stock right now, but as I said in a prior post, I'm going to install the lower block off plate, cat heat shield, and air wings to help manage the heat.

In the stock configuration, I can "deal" with the heat because I wear riding gear. The riding gear helps isolate me somewhat from the hot foot syndrome, but I can still feel it. Even tolerating the stock setup while wearing my helmet, mesh jacket, jeans, and boots gets hot when there is no wind flow. There is no way that I would ride with shorts and sneakers/sandals because I would definitely get the hot foot syndrome.

The Texas summer is approaching fast. I'm currently riding in 90+ degree weather with high humidity. It is not fun in stop and go traffic and the triple digit summer hasn't arrived yet. I'm going to try and be proactive and manage as much heat as I can without overheating my spyder.