Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default block off plate: Is it just me?

I was getting ready to order the Spyderpops block off plate and put a temperary black plastic one over the hole (made from a VHS tape box) as a test. Of course I removed the bottom cover for the air to get out. Now I have much more hot air getting on my foot from underneath as well as more air volume coming out the lower hole at my foot. Honestly, I have ridden across country and back in 90 to 100 degree temperatures and this past Saturday the temp. was barely a little over 80 here in East Tennessee and my foot was hotter (waring the same boots too). Maybe it is my RT S or I'm missing something.
    It really feels as though more hot air is coming up from under the bike now than before. I know that it is going to go somewhere but I thought it would dissapate and go out the back. Any Ideas on this or has anyone experienced the same condition with a block off plate. Please note that I am in no way putting down Spyderpops product, I think his items are great but in my case I am better off without it unless I am missing something.
    thanks for your ideas.

Stan

UPDATE: 5/18/12

OK, call me stupid! I think my boots are the problem! In the past, on long rides, I have used solid leather riding boots(6 inch biker boots), well, for the past few rides I have been waring Magnum Viper II's that are waterproof but have vent panels on the sides (they allow air but not water to go through). Yep! more heat is getting to my foot a lot quicker.
    After making temperary panels for the holes alternating from upper to lower hole, removing bottom panels, taking off tupperware and drilling relief holes in the
    "swoop scoop" aft of the fan and doing a lot test rides and a lot of pondering,,,,I fixed it by changing BOOTS! I have to laff at myself sometimes. DANG IT!
    Last edited by StanProff; 05-18-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: can't fix stupid
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

If you get the cat shields they help move the heat away from the foot pegs, Bob sells these as well.

Spyder Garage

I've only owned mine for a week and my right foot feels like its got 3rd degree sunburn. I had ordered the upper blocking plate but hadn't yet installed it as it just doesn't seem sensible to me that it would help. I just got the cat heatshields today and will install tomorrow. I've also got baker Air Wings on order. According to Spyderpops he's only a few days away from selling a lower block off plate which seems to make more sense to me. In the interim I've removed the lower clear deflectors and velcroed a bent piece of aluminum to the bottom of the right mirror to deflect air onto my right foot.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you can cut a fairly lg hole in the plastic plate that is directing the air to flow out them holes it will blow out the rear end of the bike and not on your foot this is what i did after a friend showed me what he did.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    you can cut a fairly lg hole in the plastic plate that is directing the air to flow out them holes it will blow out the rear end of the bike and not on your foot this is what i did after a friend showed me what he did.
    A little fuzzy on what you did...The plastic plate--is it the curved one just aft of the radiator or are you talking on the floor? If it's the curved one are you cutting it at the rear inside portion??

Spyder Garage

Default Need both...

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    If you get the cat shields they help move the heat away from the foot pegs, Bob sells these as well.
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Block off plate improvement

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    I was getting ready to order the Spyderpops block off plate and put a temperary black plastic one over the hole (made from a VHS tape box) as a test. Of course I removed the bottom cover for the air to get out. Now I have much more hot air getting on my foot from underneath as well as more air volume coming out the lower hole at my foot. Honestly, I have ridden across country and back in 90 to 100 degree temperatures and this past Saturday the temp. was barely a little over 80 here in East Tennessee and my foot was hotter (waring the same boots too). Maybe it is my RT S or I'm missing something.
    It really feels as though more hot air is coming up from under the bike now than before. I know that it is going to go somewhere but I thought it would dissapate and go out the back. Any Ideas on this or has anyone experienced the same condition with a block off plate. Please note that I am in no way putting down Spyderpops product, I think his items are great but in my case I am better off without it unless I am missing something.
    thanks for your ideas.

Stan
    I installed my wife's Block Off Plate in her RT yesterday. We went for a ryde today and she was very pleased by the improvement. She said, 'I do not have to put my foot back on the passengers footpeg any longer'. She is quite happy with the improvement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    A little fuzzy on what you did...The plastic plate--is it the curved one just aft of the radiator or are you talking on the floor? If it's the curved one are you cutting it at the rear inside portion??
    yes the curved one

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

I have been very happy with mine on the.
    I will also get the bottom one when he gets it.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    I have been very happy with mine on the.
    I will also get the bottom one when he gets it.
    100%!

SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The new Lower block Off plate is now available along with the
    new 3rd Stainless Steel Mesh Grille, online for ordering.

Harvey

Go to www.SPYDERPOPS.com and scroll all the way down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERPOPS View Post
    The new Lower block Off plate is now available along with the
    new 3rd Stainless Steel Mesh Grille, online for ordering.

Harvey

Go to www.SPYDERPOPS.com and scroll all the way down.
    I certify that it looks great. Pics of mine.... Soon.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the lower blockoff plate is an either or instalation and can't use them together. I installed the upper and cat shields and there's a huge improvement. I'm using the factory pegs and though my foot still gets hot, I'm not in danger of doing permanent damage. If there is a way to use both blockoff plates atthe same time, I will probably do it.

Spyder Garage

yes the curved one
    Any way you could post a pic. This mod sounds promissing, but I'm unclear as to what exactly is to be moded...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Any way you could post a pic. This mod sounds promissing, but I'm unclear as to what exactly is to be moded...
    I looked at my RT last night, MidlifeCrisis is right about the air director "swoop" that directs the hot air out both upper and lower holes. Also there is very little actual opening on the bottom (with the bottom panel removed) and a lot of obstruction. it makes since to allow the air to get out of the "swoop" to relieve most of air pressure and allow it to go down and under the bike. Air will follow the path of least resistance. Has anyone else really looked closely under there and found the same as I did? With the "swoop" being there and the block off plate installed, most of the air is still choosing the least resistance and comong out the bottom hole. Getting ready to cut holes and have a "holy swoop". I think i will also order the CAt block off plates.
    Last edited by StanProff; 05-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I trimmed out a lot of the 'swoop' about a year ago when I added the top block from Spyderpops. I still had loads of air coming out the bottom hole by my foot. So.... at Spyderfest, I got the full treatment.....

I think it would be great for some aero-minded person to model the Spyder air flow and see what we can do to the under airflow to cause more suction to 'pull' the air down and out.

I still get heat around the glove box, simply because the engine is hot. I'd love to find a way to 'train' it downward and out, but there's the crazy thermodynamics thing to contend with.

Last edited by Phil; 05-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

heres the photos not the best but i wasn't in the mood to remove the block off sheild and the stainless steel mesh to get at the opening so i tried the best i could to show you the hole i'm ref to.

block1.jpgblock2.jpgblock3.jpg

Spyder Garage

heres the photos not the best but i wasn't in the mood to remove the block off sheild and the stainless steel mesh to get at the opening so i tried the best i could to show you the hole i'm ref to.

block1.jpgblock2.jpgblock3.jpg

That helps. I will have to look into this. Kinda unnerving having to do these mods! Especially when having to alter the path of cooling. It would be a little too late to find out something wasn't quite right on a long haul with the tempsin the tripple digits. Looks a litle like there may be warenty concerns about this mod, os that may be a consideration as well. Still rather not cook off my right foot. Thanks again for the pics.

Spyder Garage

actually it states in the instructions from spyderpops to remove that plastic curved pieace so air can travel down that way i still wanted it there so i just put a good size hole in it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After installing the Spyderpops shield, we simply drilled about 100 half inch holes in the plastic shield. So far as I can tell, the heat is escaping through these holes?

Like the new lower grill and will order...

Phill....Darth is looking good!

Mark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J. Mark View Post
    After installing the Spyderpops shield, we simply drilled about 100 half inch holes in the plastic shield. So far as I can tell, the heat is escaping through these holes?

Mark
    I moved my temperary block off plate (one half of a VHS tape box trimmed with knife) to the bottom hole. left the top one open and the floor pan plate off. Seems as though this has taken care of 80% of the heat on my foot. I think I will go ahead and drill a bunch of holes as well in the "swoop scoop". I too think this will help redirect the air from the top hole. I agee with one of the other posts about really knowing how much air is allowed to get out from under the spyder. It could be an area where a vacuum is formed under the bike and the air is just not moving out well after due to turbulance. Maybe someone can do a test with cameras and smoke bombs on the highway. That would be cool.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J. Mark View Post

Mark
    Thanks Mark. Harvey gave Darth a face lift

Spyder Garage

For those that have removed the bottom panel experience hotter seat and glove box?? It would seem to me that air would sweep up (lift) into that opening and push air over the engine and exhaust upwards. Seems more sensible to cut a reasonable size hole in the lower panel (rather than remove it) and place a deflector or dam in front of it to lower the air pressure at the hole making it more of an exit hole for hot radiator air rather than an entry hole.

Spyder Garage

For those that have removed the bottom panel experience hotter seat and glove box?? It would seem to me that air would sweep up (lift) into that opening and push air over the engine and exhaust upwards. Seems more sensible to cut a reasonable size hole in the lower panel (rather than remove it) and place a deflector or dam in front of it to lower the air pressure at the hole making it more of an exit hole for hot radiator air rather than an entry hole.
    That's definitely happening to me. Since many of us have remove the bottom plate (I do still have mine in storage), I'm looking for a dam idea to cause a vacuum that maybe doesn't require the plate. Reason is that in slow to stopped in traffic mode on a hot day, I'd like to still find a way to encourage the heat to go down and out. (insert wondering outloud here) Is there room to fit a fan pointing down with maybe a dam in front of it to have vac and forced air exhaust? Is that overkill?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    That's definitely happening to me. Since many of us have remove the bottom plate (I do still have mine in storage), I'm looking for a dam idea to cause a vacuum that maybe doesn't require the plate. Reason is that in slow to stopped in traffic mode on a hot day, I'd like to still find a way to encourage the heat to go down and out. (insert wondering outloud here) Is there room to fit a fan pointing down with maybe a dam in front of it to have vac and forced air exhaust? Is that overkill?

I don't think it is overkill. I have thought about using a marine bilge fan for quite a while, and I don't even have a fan can or block plate. I don't think any other type of fan would be suitable, though. You need something that is explosion-proof in a confined area with fuel lines present, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!