Spyder Garage

Default lower wind deflectors

I'm pretty new at this--just turned 500 miles on the RT. Do folks take the lower wind deflectors off in hot climates?? It looks like that might direct more air towards the seat. I just got back from a 125 mile ride this morning, still feeling hot and right foot is still on fire. (I've found posts on the hot foot issue for 3 years--does anyone ever complain to BRP for a fix??) I've got heatshields from Spyderpops on order.
    Anyhow, I'm thinking of also ordering the Baker Air Wings--was at a bike night locally last night and saw several Spyders with them. Are there any other options for venting air?
    Also, I was just in time for the start of lovebug season-pic below (pardon the thumb).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flybuddy; 05-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CAN AM RT RADIATOR BLOCK OFF PLATE

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    I'm pretty new at this--just turned 500 miles on the RT. Do folks take the lower wind deflectors off in hot climates?? It looks like that might direct more air towards the seat. I just got back from a 125 mile ride this morning, still feeling hot and right foot is still on fire. (I've found posts on the hot foot issue for 3 years--does anyone ever complain to BRP for a fix??) I've got heatshields from Spyderpops on order.
    Anyhow, I'm thinking of also ordering the Baker Air Wings--was at a bike night locally last night and saw several Spyders with them. Are there any other options for venting air?
    Also, I was just in time for the start of lovebug season-pic below (pardon the thumb).
    I would appreciate an opinion and or advice. Is the RT Block Off Plate safe to install on on the Spyder RT? Will it void or impact the factory warranty in any way. Does it help with the heat problem? The heat problem on your right leg and foot, here is Florida, is unpleasant to say the least.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the Baker Air Wings would probably direct the most air at you. I can't say that I've heard of anyone just taking off the existing deflectors but if you decide to do it please let us know how it works out.

Those Love Bugs are a real pain aren't they? I lived in FL and we were painting our house and had just rolled paint on the biggest wall when the Love Bugs decided to come out. They swarmed the painted wall and we spent hours picking them off the wet paint!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Baker Air Wings are definitely the way to go if you want more air directed at you during the warm months, and less during the cooler months. Some do indeed remove the lower deflectors during the summer as well.

Spyderpops is coming out with a lower block off plate for the Spyder shortly (see new posts). This will help reduce your hot foot issue somewhat if you ride with your feet on the stock pegs (not highway pegs).

Spyder Garage

I used to take off the lower wind deflectors during the summer months (2010 RT-S), but since I got the Baker Air Wings (definitely a must get) I no longer do so. The Air Wings are in my top 5 list for mods that I have done for my Spyder, the passenger also benefits from the added air flow to the lower areas where heat can build up do to the catalytic converter.

Spyder Garage

Thx, I'm going to pull the lowers for now and order the Air Wings.

Spyder Garage

I used to take my lower deflectors off also and it helped a lot, but since I have put the Baker
    Air Wings on I have left them on.